What's the story behind your profile picture?

Options

Replies

• La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Mine is in a men's bathroom during a fun night with my good friend Heather!!!
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Mine is in a men's bathroom during a fun night with my good friend Heather!!!

mens bathroom?
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    we were having fuuuuun!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    we were having fuuuuun!

What KIND of fun? Do tell!
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    we were having fuuuuun!

What KIND of fun? Do tell!

Ooh the fun 2 young ladies have in a men's bathroom- duh!
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    My picture is a logo in remeberance of the "Charleston 9" firefighters who were killed in the line of duty on June 18, 2007. I personally knew 2 of these guys and I knew several of the firefighters that were there.

From Wikkipedia (more information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_Sofa_Super_Store_fire)

The fire occurred at the Sofa Super Store, which was composed of a 42,000 ft² (3,902 m²) single-story steel trussed showroom building with a 17,000 ft² (1,579 m²) warehouse building located behind the retail space,[1] located at 1807 Savannah Highway in the West Ashley area of Charleston. The building had no fire sprinkler system , due in part to the exorbitant cost for the service, provided by the City of Charleston Commissioners of Public Works. Soon after this fire the cost was dramatically reduced. The fire started at approximately 7:00 p.m. in a covered loading dock area built between the showroom and warehouse buildings which was attached to both buildings.[2] At the time, the business was still open and employees were present. Charleston firefighters arrived on the scene just three minutes after the alarm, followed soon after by firefighters from the St. Andrews Public Service District.

The initial attack focused on extinguishing the fire in the loading dock area, with a secondary effort to search for and evacuate civilians, and to prevent the fire from spreading to the showroom and warehouse. Crews entering the showroom reportedly initially encountered clear visibility with only very light puffs of smoke visible near the ceiling at the back of the showroom. Shortly thereafter, an exterior door was opened near where the fire was raging. Efforts to close the door failed, allowing the fire to enter the showroom. Firefighters were ordered to stretch two hose lines into the showroom to attack the spreading fire, however the pre-connected hose line from one of the units was too short, requiring some firefighters to again exit the building to add additional sections of hose and leaving only one small handline to hold back the growing fire. At about this time, fire dispatchers advised the crews on-scene that they had received a 9-1-1 call from an employee who was trapped in the warehouse, which required some firefighters to direct their attention to the rescue. The trapped employee was eventually rescued by firefighters who breached an exterior wall to reach him.[3]

Despite efforts to confine and extinguish the fire, it continued to spread into the structure and ignited furniture in the showroom, growing more quickly than the few operating hose lines could control before additional water could be applied to the fire, however efforts to stretch and begin operating additional hose lines continued.[3][4] At 7:41 p.m. the showroom area of the store experienced a flashover while at least sixteen firefighters were still working inside. The flashover contributed to the rapid deterioration of the structural integrity of the building, leading to a near-complete collapse of the roof just minutes later. Many of the firefighters caught in the flashover were unable to escape and were trapped under the collapsed roof and shelving weakened by the fast-spreading fire. Several calls for help were made by trapped firefighters and efforts to rescue them were commenced. These efforts proved unsuccessful. By the time the fire was brought under control, nine Charleston firefighters had lost their lives.

The fire started during waning rush hour traffic, and the Sofa Super Store site was on a major business and commuter artery feeding the suburbs and shopping centers of Charleston. Car traffic continued unabated for many critical minutes in the initial stages of the fire, driving over water supply lines and contributing to severe water supply problems, as the supply lines snaked from surrounding blocks up to a half-mile away from the center of the fire. Eventually automobile traffic on Savannah Highway was stopped so that water pressure would be more consistent, the traffic diversion causing the surrounding neighborhoods to fill with stranded commuters and onlookers. As the fire diminished and appeared contained, nearing 11:00 p.m., surrounding neighborhoods began to clear and onlookers went home, most unaware of the loss of life during the blaze.

According to Charleston County Coroner Rae Wooten, the firefighters died of a combination of smoke inhalation and burns, but not from injuries sustained from the collapse itself.[5] It was the greatest single loss of firefighters in the United States since 343 firefighters were lost in the collapse of the World Trade Center which resulted from the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. It was also the deadliest fire in the state of South Carolina since 11 people died in a blaze at the Lancaster County jail in 1979.[6]

Those answering their last alarm:
    Captain Louis Mulkey
    Captain Mike Benke
    Firefighter Melven Champaign
    Captain William "Billy" Hutchinson
    Engineer Bradford "Brad" Baity
    Firefighter James "Earl" Drayton
    Engineer Mark Kelsey
    Engineer Michael French
    Firefighter Brandon Thompson

Amazingly brave men. I am sorry for the loss of your friends.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Mine was taken as a promotional shot whilst training for the 10K run I'm doing in July (see signature). Its the first picture I've had in years where I look slim. It actually does me more credit than I deserved at the time - Mostly thanks to my wife's photo skills!
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    Mine is me crossing the finish line at the Soldier Field 10 Miler in Chicago. At the time, it was the longest race I had ever done. I was so proud to have accomplished it!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Mine's how bad I looked at my own wedding!
  • shufie
    shufie Posts: 11
    Options
    when i was at my "happiest" weight. exercised regularly and ate right. this picture was taken on our honeymoon in florida dec 2009 everything was so perfect. after i came back we moved, i had a new job that sucked! lol and ate whatever, whenever. fast forward a year later and i was the heaviest i've EVER been!, and not happy! , husband amazingly got transferred back to our home town, and i started back at my old job i had and love! now i'm finally motivated and in the "right mind" to get back to that moment so i can enjoy many more years with my husband :) so, in short... this is my "goal" picture :)
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    Hair at last! I went a whole year with no hair thanks to Chemo. Then it finally started to grow and it was white and curly. Still is!

It looks wonderful!
  • Balfour35
    Balfour35 Posts: 13
    Options
    Mine is my son's graduation a few weeks ago. I'm so proud of him :bigsmile:
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Mine is currently a pic I took on Sunday of a deer watching me while I was hiking.
  • daffysbird
    daffysbird Posts: 42
    Options
    Mine is of me at a friends bbq a few weeks ago, with my sunglasses on as usual, my friends say they are surgically attached to my head lol.

I did have a full body shot taken the other night for the first time in ages, but i still can't see any difference in my weight loss :-(

And if one more person tells me you can really tell i've lost weight from the amount that has gone from my face, i think i am going to scream, i don't want to lose it from my face i want to lose it from my tummy :-(
  • 1974superstar
    Options
    My pic is me before one of my wrestling matches! Def a reason to stay in shape so I look good in my tights for my number one fan eliz_in_pink ;)
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Well It was a warm day.....I went out golfing with my main man Mr.J and company......I was inebriated so I put on my Lucha libre mask on and played a couple of holes in it.

loads of fun!
  • IHrtStrwbrries
    Options
    My pic was taken at my boyfriend's ring dance ceremony. Congratulations Air Force Academy Class of 2012!!! Just one more year!
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I went shopping with my daughter a couple of weeks ago and she picked out the shirt I am wearing. She left for the Dominican Republic on Saturday, so on Sunday I took a picture in the shirt and posted it on facebook because that is our only communication right now.
  • rjnandjosh
    rjnandjosh Posts: 168
    Options
    mine is the view of the sunset from my deck
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Mine is cropped from a pic of me with my brother and sister. Whenever we had a family get-together my mum used to insist on taking pix of her kids, and her grandkids.. Unfortunately mum died suddenly last year and we were left regretting we never insisted on her being in the pictures.