Share a story about your Father

Options
RoadDog
RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
As my father got older and noticed how much I loved to cook, he began to get more adventurous. His problem was that he didn't go to the cupboard and the fridge to figure out what he wanted to make. He would make the decision on his menu, then go to the cupboard and fridge, and then, subsequently, to the store.

Replies

• Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    Options
    When we were younger we used to call my Dad Tony Tiddles. I've absolutely no idea why but it just suited him somehow.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I havent seen my father in over 2 yrs :'( My mother is a wicked witch! My father is her puppet! :(
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Every year for my birthday as a child, My dad would wake me up and sing "Happy Birthday To You" in a really cheesy kind of Tony Bennet way. Now that I am grown and out of the house, he still calls me every year and starts the conversation with the song, no hello, just right into the song. Makes me look forward to my birthday! I love my dad.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    My dad taught me to fish. My favorite times with him was standing at the waters edge waiting for the fish to bite listening to my day hum all sorts of songs.

He also taught me to drive stick shift. When I was little (9 and 10 yrs old) while he was driving in the old orange Dodge truck he had he would let me shift gears, then later he would let me drive around parking lots. I was only 14 at the time and I thought I was so cool....lol

I can't wait to see him in two weeks when we go to Utah for vacation!
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My dad was the number one positive influence in my life. His integrity still inspires me. Rest in peace Dad - I miss you!
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    My dad passed away due to a complication following surgery to remove cancer from his liver. He died 8 years ago when I was 22, five months before my wedding and a few weeks before I I graduated college. Never thought I wouldn't have him there to walk me down the aisle on my 'big day' and he never saw his grandsons (my kids). I miss him EVERY DAY!!! He was an amazing father and I could always talk to him about my problems without judgement. (I wish he was still here so I could talk to him about things and get his reassuring and calming advice because there are REALLY times I need him.) I could go on and on about what a stand-up guy he was... :heart:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My Dad was evacuated from London to his uncle's farm in Bedfordshire during the "phony war" at the beginning of WWII. As there had been no attacks on London, he got sent back... the week the Blitz started!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    <No dad here, I would have no clue if he was even alive.......My Grams was all to me, Dad, Mom, Grams, and Gramps....all in one♥
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My dad died when I was 17, going on 10 years ago.. Very suddenly. He missed walking me down the aisle at my wedding (I asked his oldest brother to do it and he did) he missed seeing his only grandkids (my kids). He was the type of guy that everyone loved and respected. He spent a good part of his adult life working and training horses for racing (he was the fat guy that would get on them for practice so that when the jockeys got on for the races, they ran faster since the jockeys were much smaller than him and used to my dad training them) There is nobody Ive come across that had a bad word to say about him.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I joined the Marines on a 6 month delay program when I was a senior in HS. Dad was a former Marine and tried to talk me into joining another branch of the service. Didn't want to see me go to Viet Nam. I could not be swayed. I wanted to be a Marine; just like my Dad and his Dad.

My Father drove me to the Recruiter on the day I was to leave. We sat around and waited for me to be sworn in vbefore hopping on the bus to San Diego. My Dad got up, excused himself and went to the bathroom. When they came to get me and be sworn in, my Father couldn't be found. I was sworn in and got on the bus without saying goodbye.

A couple weeks after I started Boot Camp, I received a letter from my Dad. It was addressed to:

PVT Vallandingham
    c/o Commandant of the Marine Corps
    San Diego, California

It was an apology for slipping away from the recruiters like he did. He told me how proud he was and that he left because he didn't want me to see him cry.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    When I was little, my dad would let me sit on his knee in the drivers seat and "drive" home from my friends house which was right around the corner (i could see my house from hers).

He went to all of my baseball games, all of my skating practices, competitions, tests. He showed up to my basketball games, volleyball games, etc. When I was pregnant and in the hospital, my dad was there (with my mom) everyday and has been an active part of my twins lives since before they were even born. He came to ultrasound appointments and was there on the day of their birth (waiting upstairs of course, i had a c-section).

I'm very lucky to have such an involved dad. He still makes pizza for us every single Saturday night for "family night" & we always watch the food network together. Before i moved out, every Sunday was "father/daughter dinner" and we had a special dinner together that we liked.

I could go on & on.

I'm OBVIOUSLY a daddy's girl.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    My dad's just plain awesome. Most positive person I know, total pacifist, complete nerd, love him! I used to do the "aww dad..." embarrassed reactions to his corny jokes and the fact that he sings a song to almost everything i say. Me "Oo, this ice cream is yummy"...dad "yummy, yummy, yummy, i got love in my tummy." NOW I realize that I've been telling his corny jokes all along :D Apple doesn't fall far. I just wish I could be as positive and happy of a person as my dad is. He worships my mother, takes care of my sisters and I, and NEVER have I heard him complain.
  • MissAnjy
    Options
    I joined the Marines on a 6 month delay program when I was a senior in HS. Dad was a former Marine and tried to talk me into joining another branch of the service. Didn't want to see me go to Viet Nam. I could not be swayed. I wanted to be a Marine; just like my Dad and his Dad.

My Father drove me to the Recruiter on the day I was to leave. We sat around and waited for me to be sworn in vbefore hopping on the bus to San Diego. My Dad got up, excused himself and went to the bathroom. When they came to get me and be sworn in, my Father couldn't be found. I was sworn in and got on the bus without saying goodbye.

A couple weeks after I started Boot Camp, I received a letter from my Dad. It was addressed to:

PVT Vallandingham
    San Diego, California

It was an apology for slipping away from the recruiters like he did. He told me how proud he was and that he left because he didn't want me to see him cry.

omg, i'm crying at work LOL
  • MissAnjy
    Options
    My dad's just plain awesome. Most positive person I know, total pacifist, complete nerd, love him! I used to do the "aww dad..." embarrassed reactions to his corny jokes and the fact that he sings a song to almost everything i say. Me "Oo, this ice cream is yummy"...dad "yummy, yummy, yummy, i got love in my tummy." NOW I realize that I've been telling his corny jokes all along :D Apple doesn't fall far. I just wish I could be as positive and happy of a person as my dad is. He worships my mother, takes care of my sisters and I, and NEVER have I heard him complain.

are we sisters? LOL jk

My dad also does the corny jokes AND turns EVERYTHING INTO A SONG, lol
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, my dad and I would always read together, and one of my favorite books was Dr. Suess' "Hop on Pop". When the book said, "Hop, hop, we like to hop on pop" I used to hop on his side (since he was usually laying on the couch as we read). This is sadly one of the few happy memories I have since he was quite sick all the time, and passed away when I was 14. I miss him for sure.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    My entire life, I've only heard father curse once. We were cutting wood when he buried an ax in his leg, he stood still looking at it then said, 'Well s**t, this isn't good.'
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

PVT Vallandingham
    San Diego, California

STOP MAKING ME CRY, MIKE! :sad: :bigsmile: :sad: :bigsmile: :sad:
  • FaerieMoon
    FaerieMoon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    my dad is a functioning alcoholic

Love to come up with a cute, sweet story... but the one that sticks out in my head is me aged 12 running down the street away from him...he was snapping his belt at me, and was gonna beat the *kitten* outta me

I had a friend who said she was gonna call the cops on him, he told her to go for it, they could watch me get my *kitten* whipped

aaahhhh

...good times

( that said I love my Daddy, and our relationship is great now, I consider this a funny story not a sad one ;)