Bread lovers: what is a good bread substitute?

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I try to substitute with really tasty bread
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Strong thread necro. Dice cauliflower really small, boil, collect all the tears you shed (there will be a lot of them) and mix them in, then bake.

Seriously though, I avoid bread a little because I've had binging episodes with it (not due to dietary restriction, let me preemptively add), but there is no substitute really. I just tend to eat out when I want a sandwich or buy individual small loaves...

You can make sandwiches with soda crackers though, especially the unsalted ones, and a baby carrot sliced in two or a celery stalk with some good cheese on top is delicious.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Strong thread necro. Dice cauliflower really small, boil, collect all the tears you shed (there will be a lot of them) and mix them in, then bake.

Seriously though, I avoid bread a little because I've had binging episodes with it (not due to dietary restriction, let me preemptively add), but there is no substitute really. I just tend to eat out when I want a sandwich or buy individual small loaves...

You can make sandwiches with soda crackers though, especially the unsalted ones, and a baby carrot sliced in two or a celery stalk with some good cheese on top is delicious.

Goddammit. :grumble:
  • Slacker16
    Options

My heart cries for you.
    Don't cry, heart, I eat sammiches practically every day for lunch...

To be honest, I generally don't buy much bread because the soft, white, plastic-fantastic stuff is gross and good bread is expensive
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

What's funnier is he started his post like that then said what he said.

Hmm good point.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I recently started making sandwiches out of Wasa Light Rye crackers, 60 cals plus some fiber for 2 crackers.

I have turkey and cheese sandwiches, as well as peanut butter and jelly. Yummy :happy:
  • Slacker16
    Options

I don't make one line replies.
    This line is here to maintain logical consistency.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Why do you hate bread?
  • Slacker16
    Options

Why do you hate bread?
    I love bread. I never said I removed it from my diet...
    ETA : nearly got me making a one-line reply there.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Why do you hate bread?
    I love bread. I never said I removed it from my diet...
    ETA : nearly got me making a one-line reply there.

:grumble:
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sammiches?

That is correct usage. Taste better if you say it that way. Like psghetti.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Sammiches?

That is correct usage. Taste better if you say it that way. Like psghetti.
    QFT.:bigsmile:
  • grandma6girls
    grandma6girls Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work for a large New England bread bakery in their retail bread store division. I sample up to 32 different kinds of fresh breads to customers all day long along with cookies and bread puddings. So.....bread is difficult for me to give up since I get it for free and I love breads without preservatives that are baked fresh everyday......I have decided not to take any samples myself while at work (unless a new bread is made than we are required to sample but I only take a tiny bite.) I take home their low carb bread because it is only 8 net carbs and it is delicious. After 17 years working here, it is difficult to avoid the breads I love but for my health it is necessary!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I work for a large New England bread bakery in their retail bread store division. I sample up to 32 different kinds of fresh breads to customers all day long along with cookies and bread puddings. So.....bread is difficult for me to give up since I get it for free and I love breads without preservatives that are baked fresh everyday......I have decided not to take any samples myself while at work (unless a new bread is made than we are required to sample but I only take a tiny bite.) I take home their low carb bread because it is only 8 net carbs and it is delicious. After 17 years working here, it is difficult to avoid the breads I love but for my health it is necessary!

Please send your samples to:

ILiftHeavy Acrylics
    1234 Acrylics Lane
    ILift, USA

Thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to gluten and havn't found a really really good bread replacement, so I tend to use large green leaf lettuce if I need/want a sandwich.

Check out Bread SRSLY. They're local to me but ship nationally. It's out of control good (but it needs to be toasted, it's dense otherwise).
  • cwalker733
    Options
    I love bread too and recently decided to just stop with so much rolls and bread. (Killing me) what I've done many have also done I buy 45 calorie bread....use 1 slice bake my sandwiches or build them on a plate with lots of spinach lettuce onnions tomatoes et anything you got. Then I have introduced myself back to a knife and fork. Takes longer to eat so I am filled at the end. Hope this helps. Much luck!
    :smile: :smile: