Weight is stuck and trying low carbs....

Options
13»

Replies

• LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I guess I just need to agree to disagree with some folks. I am so done with this discussion... my brain hurts and I am hungry!

Have a great low carb weekend, buddies!
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    Let's assume just for arguments sake that the Laws of Thermodynamics are flawed. Then what? I am saying I personally know many people who continue to eat more calories then they can burn in a day/week and continue to lose weight while eating low carb. Just saying.

The laws of thermodynamics are universal and unchangeable laws that govern this universe. Not flawed. Bad assumption, even for argument's sake.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sir. Anything you say! I have done my research. I am convinced of what I know and have experienced. We can agree to disagree.
    Are you trying to say that you can lose weight so long as you eat less than 50g carbs per day? Because that's how your statement can be interpreted.

If so: please explain. If not, maybe clarify.
    Yes, that is what I am saying and what the Primal Blueprints states and what the Atkins studies have proven, over and over again. The OLD science that has been spewed for the last 40 years is flawed. Calories in does not equal calories out. There is something else going on. Read the books and check out some good scientific studies that are popping up every where lately.

This is not exactly true. Sure there were some assumptions made by the medical community in the past that have been reversed after further research. Such as a low fat diet. Many health experts recommended that 20-30 yrs ago. But not any more, because further research showed that all fats are not the same and many are good for you. When Adkins first came out I thought "no way", but it turns out there was a way. But that did not in any way discount the fact that a diet rich in whole grain carbs can also be healthy. Siting examples of diabetes, celiac or insulin resistance doesn't discount it either. Of course the rules will be different for those with disease. Healthy diet recommendations for the general public are not meant for those with disease.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Let's assume just for arguments sake that the Laws of Thermodynamics are flawed. Then what? I am saying I personally know many people who continue to eat more calories then they can burn in a day/week and continue to lose weight while eating low carb. Just saying.

The laws of thermodynamics are universal and unchangeable laws that govern this universe. Not flawed. Bad assumption, even for argument's sake.

It is really just simple match... Keeping the numbers simple, you're body requies 1,000 calories to maintain weight based on your activity level and you eat 1,500 calories gues what happens to the remaining 500 calories... they get stored. I'm not insulting or making light of the diet because it's been effective for many people but there are very very prominent nutritionists and fitness experts that have fine tuned low carb eating and made it better.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Let's assume just for arguments sake that the Laws of Thermodynamics are flawed. Then what?
    And when we're comparing how much weight we can lift, let's ignore gravity?
    I am saying I personally know many people who continue to eat more calories then they can burn in a day/week and continue to lose weight while eating low carb. Just saying.
    And I am telling you beyond reasonable doubt that you do not know a single human being who can eat more than their body burns and still lose weight. Similarly you don't know a single human being who can defy gravity and float.

You are arguing against a universal LAW. A law that is as tight as gravity. You simply can't win that argument. If you believe you do, then you have let your beliefs remove you from reality.

Nothing you have posted or said hints at the superiority of a low carb diet.
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    I found by lowering my sodium and trying to add more complex carbs over simple ones helped me through a slump.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I found by lowering my sodium and trying to add more complex carbs over simple ones helped me through a slump.

You brought up another good point there. If we provide the same basic stimulus to our body be it food or physical activity the body will naturally adapt over time. For losing weight, you need to shake up the diet once in a while to get that engine going again, adding carbs and dropping some fat is a good way to do it too.
  • LaJauna
    Options
    Let's assume just for arguments sake that the Laws of Thermodynamics are flawed. Then what?
    And when we're comparing how much weight we can lift, let's ignore gravity?
    I am saying I personally know many people who continue to eat more calories then they can burn in a day/week and continue to lose weight while eating low carb. Just saying.
    And I am telling you beyond reasonable doubt that you do not know a single human being who can eat more than their body burns and still lose weight. Similarly you don't know a single human being who can defy gravity and float.

You are arguing against a universal LAW. A law that is as tight as gravity. You simply can't win that argument. If you believe you do, then you have let your beliefs remove you from reality.

Nothing you have posted or said hints at the superiority of a low carb diet.

You are SO right! How could I have been so wrong! Please forgive me!
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    You are SO right! How could I have been so wrong! Please forgive me!
    Just going to assume you're being sarcastic. But please continue; it's humorous watching someone believe that their misconceptions about anecdotal evidence defy a physical law of nature.

Keep trying to defy gravity or prove that the earth is flat. Best of luck to you!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't "low carb" but I do reduce my carbs and definitely see a difference when I do. I try to keep mine below 150 on days I do lots of exercise but days without any I try to keep it nearer 100 or even a little less. Any carbs I eat are from whole foods if possible (for example, I mill my own flour and bake our bread so the entire grain is in there.)
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    I just learned from a trainer that people tend either be carb sensitive or calorie sensitive. Which means that if a person was on a low calorie diet but still have high carbs they may not lose the weight, but if they switch it to a low carb diet they lose a ton of weight. Others just are calorie sensitive where all they need to do is cut calories and they lose weight.

I was on a regular cut the calorie diet and I lost a couple of pounds, but nothing worth the 2 month diet I was one. I switched to a low carb/80% vegetarian diet and I have lost 17lbs in 1 month. So, I am a carb sensitive person. I respond to a Lo-carb diet better. I feel great!

Yes! I believe I am carb sensitive!
  • JNick77
    Options
    I don't "low carb" but I do reduce my carbs and definitely see a difference when I do. I try to keep mine below 150 on days I do lots of exercise but days without any I try to keep it nearer 100 or even a little less. Any carbs I eat are from whole foods if possible (for example, I mill my own flour and bake our bread so the entire grain is in there.)

There is definitely a lot of truth to that. That's why it's also important to watch what kind of carbs you eat, especially if your body doesn't handle carbs well.
  • KeepingChocolate
    KeepingChocolate Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've started low carbing and am finally losing weight. I don't pay attention to my fat or protein intake; I just try to keep my carbs between 50-100 grams a day and keep my calories around what MFP has figured for me each day. I'm finally losing at a steady rate and I'm really pleased.

My biggest problem (and the one that provoked me to do a search that brought me to this forum thread) is that I'm struggling to get enough calories. The low carbing has eliminated my constant hunger. I eat my low carb meals and find that I feel satisfied and look at my diary and realize that I still need to eat another 500 calories to reach my MFP calories (and this is before I've exercised). I'm afraid that my body will go into "starvation mode" and that the steady progress I've been seeing will suddenly vanish and I'll stall out. Any thoughts on this (particularly from those who have successfully been using a low carb diet)?
  • LaJauna
    Options
    I've started low carbing and am finally losing weight. I don't pay attention to my fat or protein intake; I just try to keep my carbs between 50-100 grams a day and keep my calories around what MFP has figured for me each day. I'm finally losing at a steady rate and I'm really pleased.

My biggest problem (and the one that provoked me to do a search that brought me to this forum thread) is that I'm struggling to get enough calories. The low carbing has eliminated my constant hunger. I eat my low carb meals and find that I feel satisfied and look at my diary and realize that I still need to eat another 500 calories to reach my MFP calories (and this is before I've exercised). I'm afraid that my body will go into "starvation mode" and that the steady progress I've been seeing will suddenly vanish and I'll stall out. Any thoughts on this (particularly from those who have successfully been using a low carb diet)?
    Starvation mode is a myth. If you have fat on your body to burn and you are not eating enough fuel your body will burn the fat on your body. Eat to hunger. If you are not hungry wait and see if you get hungry. You may find that you can go several hours longer without eating and that is okay. If you know you are going to be doing some heavy workouts then have a protein snack to keep your engine revved up! That is what I love about low carbing. I actually forget to eat! Who would have ever thought. I used to be the one planning my next meal while I was eating. I was never full and always searching for something to satisfy me. Now I am satisfied and full. Food is not on my mind all the time. I am not obsessing about it. I love low carbing!
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth. If you have fat on your body to burn and you are not eating enough fuel your body will burn the fat on your body. Eat to hunger. If you are not hungry wait and see if you get hungry. You may find that you can go several hours longer without eating and that is okay. If you know you are going to be doing some heavy workouts then have a protein snack to keep your engine revved up! That is what I love about low carbing. I actually forget to eat! Who would have ever thought. I used to be the one planning my next meal while I was eating. I was never full and always searching for something to satisfy me. Now I am satisfied and full. Food is not on my mind all the time. I am not obsessing about it. I love low carbing!
    Low carb is also great because you can eat at a caloric surplus and still lose weight so long as you eat under 50g carbs!

...huh.
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    That doesn't show participants eating a caloric surplus, yet low carb, and still losing fat.

Your original ask was this:
    Are you trying to say that you can lose weight so long as you eat less than 50g carbs per day? Because that's how your statement can be interpreted.

And the answer is an unequivocal yes. In fact, the carbo limited but non-calorie limited group lost the most weight and waist size and had the best lipid profile of all three groups.
    Wow, what a miserable typo on my part. I followed it up a few posts later with the TRUE intent of my question:

"Show me research that shows eating a caloric surplus, but keeping carbs below 50g, will NOT result in weight/fat gain."

As that was in response to LaJauna saying:

"You don't need to count calories if you keep your carbs under 50 grams a day or less. "

My fault!

Are you arguing with yourself here?

Edit: Now I see you have a copycat of some sort.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Are you arguing with yourself here?

Edit: Now I see you have a copycat of some sort.
    I chuckled.

Get it?