Vegetarians Are Just Better People

Options

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I'm a non-preaching vegetarian and have been for about 5 years, but about 1.5 years ago I reintroduced fish and I feel like this is the healthiest diet for me. I never argue with meat eaters about what they are eating, and it really pisses me off when meat eaters start arguments with me because my choice to not eat meat is a personal choice and I don't tell anyone else how to live! :grumble:

My choice to become a vegetarian initially was to eat cleaner, be healthier, be more ethical, and also because I barely ever ate meat anyways (except if it was in chicken finger or hot dog form). So I figured I wouldn't miss much! And I was right. Being a vegetarian works for me and I think it's better for the environment too. All the fish I eat is wild caught too and I try not to eat any fish that are overfished, like tuna. I probably only eat fish 1-2 times per month.
  • BeHappyNHealthy
    Options
    Well, I'm a vegetarian. It makes me happy. That's my business.

If it's not for you, that's yours.

:happy:

Amen!
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Preachy vegetarians can be the worst types of people. But equally, ignorant meat eaters can be just as bad.

I have been vegetarian for six years. It is purely for ethical reasons, the largest of which being that in today's society, humans can live a happy and healthy lifestyle conveniently without killing animals in the process. I'd love to be vegan, but I don't believe I have the funds or resources to do it very healthily at the moment. I personally love the taste of meat, but I choose to stick to my own personal beliefs above that.

Being vegetarian does not mean you are instantly healthier. If it did, I'd never have ended up on this site. But anyone that believes a vegetarian diet cannot be as healthy as a meat inclusive diet is just plain ignorant.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i tried being veggie...didn't work. i was exhausted and anemic. haha.
  • bellevide
    bellevide Posts: 1
    Options
    It's also a pain to visit New England and have to order grilled cheese because that's the only non-meat option they have during the winter (true).

What? Not true at all. I've live in New England and as a vegetarian, I've never had this issue. Maybe you were eating at a steakhouse? Almost every restaurant has salads and at least one vegetarian entree. I did go to a restaurant in Utah where literally every item on the menu (including salads) had meat in it.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    My primary reason for being vegetarian is because I don't believe in killing outside of self-defence.

There are plenty of other reasons, though. Vegetarians are healthier by epidemology studies, along with the preponderence of clinical studies, and thinner (though you couldnt prove that by me), and large scale animal agriculture is worse for the environment.

And things were going so smoothly,,,, sigh.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    i am a veg that occasionally eats fish... but if i do eat fish I have a pocket guide that says whether or not a fish is caught or farmed sustainably. So I only eat sustainable seafood.
  • sbarrett7171
    sbarrett7171 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Vegans tend to pizz me off because often they think that they are morally and ethically superior because they choose to not eat animal flesh.
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I also am vegetarian, I also occasionally eat seafood. I do believe we are top of the food chain, I only tried this (vegetarianism) because of high cholesterol. Losing weight was a wonderful side effect for me. I was totally a meatasaurus before! I had meat with meat sauce and a side of meat with meat for dessert! I didn't think this (veg) was gonna work for me, but it has and I love it! I do have people trying to convert me all the time, which does get on my nerves, but I deal with it. I do NOT try to push my beliefs onto anyone else, I know how that feels! Just like us old folks used to say in the 70s... different strokes for different folks!
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ha! They're just like a lot of Apple fanatics aren't they? Many of them think they're better than everyone else and you're completely wrong if you don't do the same things or buy the same things they do. Just makes me laugh.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian my entire life and was a vegan for a number of years....Yet, I don't get preachy. I have yet to date a man that's a vegetarian, I have yet to convert any of my friends to my lifestyle, I have yet to go to my mothers house without having her ask if I want bacon and eggs in the morning, lol. My lifestyle is no one elses business but my own. I don't force it on you and you shouldn't force your opinion on me. It's that simple.
  • sbarrett7171
    sbarrett7171 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's the vegans that try to get hunting/fishing outlawed that truly chap my butt
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for two years and gained 30lbs when my weight hadnt budged by even a pound in the five years before that. I also have several vegetarian friends. One claims to be a vegetarian, but eats fish and chicken. Another one of my friends claims to be a vegetarian, but I have a picture of her eating a buffalo wing, and she denies it ever happen. Those aren't vegetarians. There's nothing wrong with being vegetarian, but if you're going to do it, do it right. And don't pretend like it'll help you lose weight. And don't act like you're better than other people.
  • SecretlyBatwoman
    SecretlyBatwoman Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I started eating meat was because I was sick of the other vegetarians making me look bad.

Another was to spite PETA.
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    Why should we care about what other people are eating? Why does everyone have to nitpick everyone else's diets/lifestyles? Isn't this a form of Ethnocentrism? I say let others eat whatever the heck they want and you concentrate on your own diet/lifestyle. End of story. >_>
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, but I think it is better to be one if you can. And, I think that in the future there will be more vegetarians and vegans. It's a cleaner, greener lifestyle for the body, mind and planet.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Why should we care about what other people are eating? Why does everyone have to nitpick everyone else's diets/lifestyles? Isn't this a form of Ethnocentrism? I say let others eat whatever the heck they want and you concentrate on your own diet/lifestyle. End of story. >_>

Well said.
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Does being farm raised make fish a vegetable? :huh:
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options

totally agree.

aggressive smug pushy vegetarians and vegans are just as bad as aggressive smug pushy meat eaters. why does any one need to hammer others with their choice....?
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ha! They're just like a lot of Apple fanatics aren't they? Many of them think they're better than everyone else and you're completely wrong if you don't do the same things or buy the same things they do. Just makes me laugh.

oh geez! At first I thought you were talking about the freakin' fruit! yah apples! eat apples!

LOL snort!

Mac rules. Mac uses are healthier. Skinnier. Just better....you know.... psychic!!!
This discussion has been closed.