4 oz of cooked hamburger meat??? how

Options
2»

Replies

• jeprice333
    jeprice333 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Those that are saying 8 oz is a cup are mixing up fl. oz. with oz. So you can’t always assume that 8 oz is 8 fl. oz., it depends on the density of the thing you are measuring. A scale is hard to use since the calories given are for the weight of raw meat and that weight changes once it’s cooked. So you can’t simply use a scale to measure 4 oz of cooked meat after you’ve cooked an entire pound. That’s probably why this person asked this question. I put one pound of cooked ground beef in a large measuring cup (it was one pound pre-cooked). It was about 2 cups. So 1/4 of that would be 4 oz since a pound is 16 oz, so 1/4 of 2 cups is 1/2 cup. This may change with the fat content of the ground beef. Mine was 90/10.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jeprice333 wrote: »
    Those that are saying 8 oz is a cup are mixing up fl. oz. with oz. So you can’t always assume that 8 oz is 8 fl. oz., it depends on the density of the thing you are measuring. A scale is hard to use since the calories given are for the weight of raw meat and that weight changes once it’s cooked. So you can’t simply use a scale to measure 4 oz of cooked meat after you’ve cooked an entire pound. That’s probably why this person asked this question. I put one pound of cooked ground beef in a large measuring cup (it was one pound pre-cooked). It was about 2 cups. So 1/4 of that would be 4 oz since a pound is 16 oz, so 1/4 of 2 cups is 1/2 cup. This may change with the fat content of the ground beef. Mine was 90/10.

I’m guessing OP has a scale by now, since it’s been nine years since they asked.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    jeprice333 wrote: »

I’m guessing OP has a scale by now, since it’s been nine years since they asked.

So what are you saying? TeeHee
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale $15 on Amazon.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    Well:
    --raw?
    --cooked?
    --frozen?
    --thawed?
    --70%, 75%. 80%, 85%, 90%, 93%, 95%, 97% lean meat?
    --crumbled, or packed?

Isn't a food scale so much easier?!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'm giving OP a break, as I certainly never used a food scale for ground beef in 2011 either! ;-) It was a simpler time.