Do you ever feel embarassed being seen exercising? (home,gym

Options
MoonIite
MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
My mom just walked in while I was doing Turbo Jam and I'm so embarrassed. There was only 10 minutes left in the workout and I couldn't continue because of the embarrassment. I don't know why I feel insecure about working out. I'm not doing anything wrong, but I can't get past the feeling that they're judging me.

Replies

• SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am totally with you -- the treadmill isn't so bad but the only one I let be in the room with me when I'm doing a workout is my 3 year old.
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I used to get embarassed if someone walked in, but now not so much. I usually make the kids go outside but that's only because I know they will get in my way.

Good luck!
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    I am the same way, doing the treadmill or bike at the gym is fine but anything else I feel like an idiot. Don't worry you are not alone :-)
  • Ladyfreesoul
    Options
    Yes!!!
    That is why I either run around town late at night or early in the morning if I have to. If not, I find trails to run so less people see me.

And I just feel foolish doing pilates, so I usually do it when everyone's not home haha
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm at a gym... so weirdos off the street can come in and watch me if they want!

But then I remember why I'm there. And I'm hoping that one day someone from the gym comes up to me and compliments me on my loss.. they see me every day breathing heavily and sweating over the machines. The hard work's gotta pay off sometime...

It's probably better that I don't know these people because I really don't care what they think of me. I don't know how I'd react if someone I actually knew came in though...
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I always hated doing a workout tape when my roommate was around, especially when there were moves that looked stupid!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I'm like that though I am trying to get better. I used to get SO embarrassed when my husband walked in but now, not as much. I think it's because there is not as much fat flying around. :embarassed:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. It's okay.
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I used to be really embarrassed to let my husband see me on the elliptical, but I got over it. I realized that he isn't judging me, if anything he just does cat calls or something lol. Now I do my 30 Day Shred dvd while he's sitting in the same room. It's liberating to not care :smile:
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I used to care when I started running, for like the first few times. Now I don't give a damn lol. Just know what you are doing is good, don't be embarrassed.
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ugh - totally! Can't bear husband or kids to 'catch' me - it's why I prefer things that don't seem to be exercise - swimming, trampoline, walking.....I think with me it's some weird thing about if i admit I NEED to exercise, I must be admitting I am in terrible shape? I don't know it's really weird!
  • cocoeubanks
    Options
    Not only do I get embarrassed with others watching...shoot, I get embarrassed by myself! There is nothing attractive about me doing Zumba.
  • bcatgray
    bcatgray Posts: 41
    Options
    Yes! I am sooooo the same. Hubby is working out with me and he HATES going to our apartment gym. He wants to do our exercise outside. I just can't do it. I have come up with so many excuses to not go outside and exercise. I thought I was the only one. LOL
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I usually just go all out and laugh at myself if I feel I look silly. I have really gotten into Dance Central on the Kinnect. I know I look like a complete idiot, but it is so much fun. I am very comfortable laughing at myself.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You have no reason to be. Be proud of what your doing and the goal you are working towards. If people are judging you they are probably thinking "good for them".
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    Totally with you--to rationalize the situation I always think "when I'm exercising, am I judging other people?" And for me, the answer is no--so I guess I have to take that into perspective. Hopefully, the majority of people are either super proud/jealous of you for being awesome and working hard, or not even noticing you. But yah, you're not alone!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    But then I remember why I'm there. And I'm hoping that one day someone from the gym comes up to me and compliments me on my loss.. they see me every day breathing heavily and sweating over the machines. The hard work's gotta pay off sometime...

I think that's exactly what you have to do. Remember that this is about YOU...getting healthy. It doesn't matter what other people think. The first month I was getting back into exercise, I worked out at home or in the fitness center at my apartment complex because I was too embarassed to go to my gym, as I hadn't been there in a year...but eventually I went back to the gym, and focused on what I needed to do. Now, I get people coming up and commenting on my weight loss, or (LOL) asking me how to do something on the equipment...I guess I look like I know what I'm doing now...

I've even graduated to running outside IN FRONT OF THE WORLD...that's been the hardest thing for me to do!!!
  • Playvet
    Playvet Posts: 6
    Options
    When I was younger I use to go to a gym, which is fine except I was the youngest girl there. I felt really self-conscious and I only went on a treadmill. Now that I feel better about myself though, I can walk or run around town and just wave to everyone I see. You just have to say "I am showing off my good looks for the world to see!" That's all it takes :smile:
  • Azlan9055
    Azlan9055 Posts: 5
    Options
    I do feel weird in a gym sometimes when I'm working out and other people can see me, but when I'm at home, I feel much more comfortable. I do a hip hop dance workout that I absolutely love, so it makes me feel kinda cool to do it. LOL!!! Don't worry about what others think, especially your family. They love you and probably are scared to do it themselves!! Maybe you should ask her to join you next time. My husband rolls his eyes when he's walked in on me doing it before, but he's supportive and usually doesn't bother me; he just thinks its weird. LOL! But I feel good doing the exercise, so that's all that matters, and the end results will be worth any discomfort you may feel right now. Best of luck! :)
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    A long time ago when I wanted to lose weight in college, I couldn't pull myself to go into the gym. However, I read this article about going to the gym and that no one else is paying attention to you, they are concerned with their own workout. Ever since reading that I could care less about who is looking. I'm proud that I'm there doing what I need to do to make myself healthier and stronger.

If anyone says anything, you could look at them and say, "Well I don't see you doing anything. Why don't you try it with me."
    I bet your mom is really proud of you for working out and you should not be embarrassed!!