If you have the calories...

EMSNJOEY
EMSNJOEY Posts: 20
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
And have eaten all of your meals for the day, is it ok to indulge once or twice a week in a treat? For example tonight I had 2 roasted marshmallows, Monday I had a piece of my nieces birthday cake. Both days I did not go over on calories. What are your thoughts. I know it is better to consume GOOD calories (fruit, vegetable etc).

Replies

• Gotta have a cheat day.
  • JennMuc
    JennMuc Posts: 70
    for sure!! If you have the calories and it's not an every day occurrence (because yes healthier calories are better), go for it!! If you deny yourself a treat now and then, especially when you can afford the calories, you will feel deprived and resentful!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    I do it! If I've worked out well, eaten well and have calories left, I've been known to have a bit of ice cream or other goodie... measured and counted of course!!!! Enjoy! This is life after all, not some game show!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    If you look at this as a healthy lifestyle, you can eat anything you'd like. Just do it in moderation - even if it's everyday.

You are correct that healthy foods are better...but I can't live without some of those small "treats".
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Goodness, I'd be a mess if I didn't let myself have treats every now and again (er, and by that I mean nearly every day).

The question is, do you want this to be a plan you can stick with for the rest of your life? If I couldn't have marshmallows and birthday cake and chocolate and beer, well... I think I'd drop this site like a hot potato! :)

In summary: eat your treats and enjoy them, especially if you are still staying within calories!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    i think so yes. remember, a healthy lifestyle is also indulging from time to time on things you like! life wouldn't be fun without the occasional piece of birthday cake.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    I agree..otherwise I know I would go nuts!! If you are going to do it...eat something GREAT!! (like a roasted marshmallow!) :)
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    I make sure its in my calories. Sometimes I worry it will affect my weight loss but most of the time I realize it keeps me happy
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    I try to limit those treats to once every 2 weeks, even if it means going over calories for the day. I know even afterwards I will go back on track, though which is the most important, and honestly it will mentally help you to have those kind of treats every once in a while. The main point is, you probably won't GAIN weight as long as you stay under, but it definitely won't help you lose weight either if you do it too often, but if it helps you mentally in the long run that's really important too!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    It is actually recommended to treat yourself every once in a while.. that is what makes this a MAINTAINABLE LIFESTYLE as opposed to another FAILED DIET. Good for you! :) enjoy those treats!!! They really taste so much sweeter when they're 'treats' and not 'everyday occurrences' anyway. :)
  • rockthehourglass
    rockthehourglass Posts: 62 Member
    I have a couple Hershey's kisses...pretty much every day. :)
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    a treat now and then is good for you! it keeps the binge feelings away. moderation is key! think how your going to eat the rest of your life. were talking about burgers fries and milk shakes and were most likely going to get them (me & three guys... they like their burgers) and i know i'm going to go over my calories but i've been having cravings for greasy food so i'm going to indulge and work out extra hard tomorrow morning.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    If you are generally eating good meals, and you have the calories, go for it. After all this is something we will need to do for the rest of our lives. I have been paying more attention to how my thinner friends eat. They have the cake or treat, but make different choices for lunch for example (a salad with chicken instead of pizza on a day we are having cake.) They also move around a lot more (walk upstairs to see a coworker instead of sending an email for example). They learned this eating style at a young age or through trial and error. We are learning it now.

I hope your daughter had a great birthday!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    If you don't indulge in cravings, they'll build up until you go crazy and binge!

I also agree with Sheila, you have a new lifestyle, not just a diet, and life includes cake!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    If you look at this as a healthy lifestyle, you can eat anything you'd like. Just do it in moderation - even if it's everyday.

You are correct that healthy foods are better...but I can't live without some of those small "treats".
    Aabsolutely!!! I'm having a Hershey bar for snack tonight. Still had lots of fruits and veggies but enough cals for a little something. Everything in moderation.
  • If we always deny ourselves, we set ourselves up for failure. having a good treat here and there helps keep the cravings at bay. you can have what you want but a a few bites is better than the whole thing or nothing. :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Hell yeah! Just keep the portions small and don't do it too often.
    I drink cider or wine a few times a week and usually have cookies or chocolate every few days.
    I know these aren't great habits but I limit the amount (ie 1 cookie, 2 squares of chocolate, 1 glass of wine, 1 pint of cider) and account for them in my calories for the day.
    I have continued to lose weight pretty steadily (average loss is 1 kg, which is 2.2 pounds, every 10 days, though it doesn't come off that smoothly).
    I started in January , knowing that the treats and snacks would be the biggest issue for me. The rest of my diet is usually home cooked meals with lots of fruit and veg, so they were already reasonably healthy, I just had to watch portion sizes.
    Fitting in treats means that I can continue my lifestyle (which includes a coffee and cookies with my parents and a Friday night pint at the pub with my husband) but do it in a much more healthy and sustainable way.
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    I have treats pretty much every day. As long as i have the calories left or come in not too far over. I would never last at this if i couldnt eat what i wanted. All in moderation!
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    It's only up to you. Everyone has a different idea of what to eat and when. I wouldn't recommend having a large piece of cake every day but as long as you're losing or maintaining your weight go ahead and have some delicious things every few days.
  • rachelllk
    rachelllk Posts: 63
    Calories aren't the only thing that matter! I have like 900 calories left for today, but I'm way over my sugar. Definitely have a cheat day, just be mindful of all the other nutritional aspects of what you're eating!
This discussion has been closed.