trouble with the elliptical

Options
2»

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The toe numbing issue, for me, improved greatly as my fitness level improved. Before, my toes would get numb (and swollen!?) after 10 minutes or so. Now it takes 30-40 minutes for the numbness/ swelling to kick in.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    My toes also get numb too but it takes about 45 mins to an hour for them to feel that way. I worked out with open toed shoes the other day and it wasn't nearly as bad.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am a little strange in that I despise the treadmill, but I LOVE the elliptical! Starting off I thought I'd DIE at like 2 mins. Now I do a minimum of 30 mins and most of the time do 45 mins to an hour. Like some previous posters stated, try repositioning your feet. I find that I need to slide them all the way to the back. Good luck! I hope you end up loving it!!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have always felt that the elliptical is a kinder, more gentle machine. Low impact and no pounding on the feet or joints. It's interesting to hear that it is painful for some. I do not hold on to the side rails or arm pumps. I balance myself on the foot platforms and crank away with my ipod. If you can try not to lean or hang on, it is a great core workout as well. Don't give up! Embrace the elliptical!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill, but I LOVE the elliptical. The first time I got on one I did 20 minutes. The second time I did 30 minutes. The third time I did an hour. my feet go numb all the time, but I have made a move where i bring my feet up so they don't go as numb. It is like calf raises while on the elliptical. I am most definitely not normal.
  • hoodanasir
    hoodanasir Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i thought i'm the only one.lol. i tried it once and lasted only for a minute or so. and i've stopped using it. now that i know it will get better, i will give it a try tonight at the gym.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I remember my first time on the action motion trainer, which is kinda like an elliptical. I could only do it for ten minutes! Now I do it on the highest resistance for an hour almost every day!! It takes time and patience.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump