HCG Diet?

Options
What is the HCG Diet? I keep seeing it in magazines in the store and here on the boards.

Replies

• Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Its where you pay a bunch of money to inject yourself with a hormone normally found in pregnant women's urine and then starve yourself (500 cals a day) so you lose weight.

AKA literally one of the dumbest things I can imagine doing to your body
  • TAMMY_76
    TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
    Options
    people take injections or drops and only eat 500 calories a day to loose weight..very dangerous starvation diet..stay away from it
  • dcladydi
    dcladydi Posts: 95
    Options
    I was about to ask the same question :wink:
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There's no reason for the injections....if you're only eating 500 calories a day; you'll lose weight. Is it healthy? NO!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    It's pure stupidity, end of story.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Dangerous?
    I wouldnt go that far. Its how I started my transformation. I lost about 30 pounds on it.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I work with several people that are on it .... it's CRAZY!!! Basically the are on a 500 calorie/day plan. They are told not to exercise because their hearts can explode or have a heart attack. They have lost weight,, but at what cost? I asked one of them what they will do when they reach their goal. She said exercise and eat 1500 calories a day ... uh, HELLO!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Its where you pay a bunch of money to inject yourself with a hormone normally found in pregnant women's urine and then starve yourself (500 cals a day) so you lose weight.

AKA literally one of the dumbest things I can imagine doing to your body

Yup I second this!!!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Well. I would have to agree with all these lovely people's opinions.

HGC is a hormone found in pregnant women. This diet is supposed to help you lose belly fat. I dont know that it makes a difference. The starvation eats up your fat. And your muscle. Yes a lot of people lose weight doing it - but they dont do it right.
    Also - there are no long term studies showing what an injection of this hormone will do to a)young women who might want to bear children one day b) men who should never have the hormone at all or c)anyone at all really!!!

so bottom line.
    Dangerous
    Stupid.

Recommeneded or not - its dumb - dont do it.

Any fad diet that says weight loss fast is probably unhealthy and unrecommended
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I tried the HCG diet. I made it about 3 days before I gave up. Was so sick, fainting almost every time I stood up, major headaches (no sugar diet), very shaky, and no energy at all. I know a few people who have successfully completed it, but its not something I would reccomend.
  • Kristendcampbell
    Kristendcampbell Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Well. I would have to agree with all these lovely people's opinions.

HGC is a hormone found in pregnant women. This diet is supposed to help you lose belly fat. I dont know that it makes a difference. The starvation eats up your fat. And your muscle. Yes a lot of people lose weight doing it - but they dont do it right.
    Also - there are no long term studies showing what an injection of this hormone will do to a)young women who might want to bear children one day b) men who should never have the hormone at all or c)anyone at all really!!!

so bottom line.
    Dangerous
    Stupid.

Recommeneded or not - its dumb - dont do it.

Any fad diet that says weight loss fast is probably unhealthy and unrecommended

I can say its been around since the 50's. The hormone comes in different forms not just injections, but drops, pellets too. The hormone causes your body to release from the abnormal fat 1500-2400 calories in addition to the 500 they are eating, which is why the 500 calories. the program also shows them how to reintroduce foods that are healthy and not processed and that is how they stabilize their weight. It clearly won't work if they don't learn how to eat correctly. This also resets the hypothalmus and the body can regulate the processes of using the food as fuel
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    How do people go about getting HCG? I was under the impression the actual injection is prescription only? Most insurnace companies won't even cover HCG injections. HCG supports Progesterone which is also found in men.
  • LovingMe19
    Options
    How do people go about getting HCG? I was under the impression the actual injection is prescription only? Most insurnace companies won't even cover HCG injections. HCG supports Progesterone which is also found in men.

I got mine from a GNC store, and my tanning salon was an authorized dealer. You can also order it online. I lost about 7 pounds in the 3 days I was on it and it totally wasn't worth it to me.
  • denverdeb1
    denverdeb1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did the HCG diet for 30 days and lost 35 pounds. However, once I started eating again I gained it all back! I felt like crap the whole time I was on it. My cholesterol went down but that was probably just from the weight. I have been on MFP for almost 2 weeks and am about two ounces from losing 10 pounds. Feel great and have tons of energy. No more crazy diets for me!
  • LovingMe19
    Options
    I did the HCG diet for 30 days and lost 35 pounds. However, once I started eating again I gained it all back! I felt like crap the whole time I was on it. My cholesterol went down but that was probably just from the weight. I have been on MFP for almost 2 weeks and am about two ounces from losing 10 pounds. Feel great and have tons of energy. No more crazy diets for me!

A lot of my friends who have done the HCG have gained all their weight back quickly as well. I only did it for 3 days and when I quit, I gained all the weight back and then some. Exercising and eating right makes you feel so much better. I told my friends I would rather drag my butt on my elliptical everyday, eat healthy, and lose the weight slower, than starve myself for a few weeks, and feel completely miserable the whole time.
  • JNick77
    Options

I got mine from a GNC store, and my tanning salon was an authorized dealer. You can also order it online. I lost about 7 pounds in the 3 days I was on it and it totally wasn't worth it to me.

You purchased the HCG injections at GNC?
  • LovingMe19
    Options

The injections? The drops and the injections aren't exactly the same thing. I just checked a couple legal spots online and they require a prescription. I take HCG injections weekly, as a prescription, for a health related issue.

No the injections are prescription only, I got drops from my local GNC store. You can buy them without a prescription in drop or pill form. Some are 100% hormone free, others are the real stuff. Im sure the prescription injections have a higher hormone content in them.
  • JNick77
    Options

The injections? The drops and the injections aren't exactly the same thing. I just checked a couple legal spots online and they require a prescription. I take HCG injections weekly, as a prescription, for a health related issue.

No the injections are prescription only, I got drops from my local GNC store. You can buy them without a prescription in drop or pill form. Some are 100% hormone free, others are the real stuff. Im sure the prescription injections have a higher hormone content in them.

Wow, I didn't realize that was being sold like that. A few years back the FDA banned the use of Andro which wasn't all that great anyway but now HCG is okay? LOL, gotta' love the gov.
  • LovingMe19
    Options

Wow, I didn't realize that was being sold like that. A few years back the FDA banned the use of Andro which wasn't all that great anyway but now HCG is okay? LOL, gotta' love the gov.

A lot of places now only sell the hormone free HCG because they have done a recall on it. But you can still get them online and what not. I bought the hormone free drops and they still worked the same for me. I lost 3.4lbs in one day on them. Totally wasn't worth how miserable I was though lol.