Help! I can't stop nodding off at my desk

Options
lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
So I have cut out caffeine...and I've tried the "drink lots of water and eat an apple" trick...nothing seems to be working! My eyes are rolling in the back of my head already an it's not even 10:30 yet! I do get plenty of sleep, but damn it I'm tired...has anyone tried spirulina? or yerba mate? they're stimulants...any feedback would be great...

Replies

• stephr2014
    stephr2014 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    No stimulants. Find somewhere to take a quick brisk walk. There are cameras all around my building and I don't want anyone to see me walk. So I go to the bathroom and do jumping jacks. Works like a charm.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I just want to post here to keep track, I have the same problem and I haven't even cut out the caffine yet.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    quick... get up and walk to the restroom. splash a little water on your face (not too much, don't want to make it look like you've gone swimming, haha) .... walk outside real quick, and stretch a little bit... shake out your legs, arms, give your neck a roll .... take a BIG, deep breath, take a second to enjoy the fresh air, ~*smile*~, and return to your desk. try and put on some low music that will get your attention... sit up straight, both feet on the floor, and allow yourself to continue your work with a fresh second-wind of energy! :)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Why cut out caffeine? Black coffee and green tea are known to help boost metabolism...
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need some b12
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    crystal light energy and green tea are my best friends :] idk if you cut out like just energy drinks/ coffee etc? or all caffeen.
    in that case then i would say start your day with a short workout if you dont already. walk around a bit, chew some gum, listen to some music, concentrate on something that interests you. like soemone else said i take b12 pills, i also have ADD and take adderal THAT keeps me up haha :/ thats all i got haha.
  • tmston2
    tmston2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If u just recently gave up caffiene, its going to take a while for your body/mind to catch up, i wud suggest gradually cutting back. instead of 3-4cups a day maybe jus 1-2cups for a week then 0-1, then none or jus 1cup for the day and water the rest of the day, but im sure you are strong and you can make it!! if all else fails go to the restroom and throw cold water in your eyes!!! :-D
  • lilRicki
    Options
    because caffeine gives me the sh!ts...and wicked heartburn...I drink 16oz of pure green tea a day, but that's not a stimulant
  • lilRicki
    Options
    If u just recently gave up caffiene, its going to take a while for your body/mind to catch up, i wud suggest gradually cutting back. instead of 3-4cups a day maybe jus 1-2cups for a week then 0-1, then none or jus 1cup for the day and water the rest of the day, but im sure you are strong and you can make it!! if all else fails go to the restroom and throw cold water in your eyes!!! :-D

no...it's been awhile
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I do prison workout routines during downtime. I'm a professional thug like that.
  • acchickpea
    acchickpea Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There are times when desperate measures are needed... and I think you need your coffee fix... A few sipps shouldn't hurt you... 10 oz shoudl fix it!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'll get up go for a quick walk, take the stairs, visit a friend somewhere else in the building. I also stand up, get rid of the chair do some squats... Anything to get the blood flowing!!
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    I do prison workout routines during downtime. I'm a professional thug like that.

i love this guy.
  • cmarshel
    cmarshel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So you say you get plenty of sleep. Do you wake up feeling well rested or perhaps still tired? If still tired and saying you get plenty of sleep based on time spent in bed perhaps a sleep study is in order.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Water works for me, but I also like yerba mate. It's kind of an acquired taste, though. They have yerba blended with citrus extracts that might be more appealing.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    have you tried power bars... any kind of low cal energy bar...
  • sportsjunkee70
    sportsjunkee70 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    try to get moving.. whether it is just standing up and siting back down or walking to the restroom. Just curious have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? That will make you nod off during the day too.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I give into my coffee cravings and allow myself 1 cup a day either in the morning or afternoon when I'm the most sleepy. A B-12 pill has helped me as well if I'm cutting the caffeine. My only other suggestion is more sleep and add some protein/lower carbs when you tend to get really sleepy.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    The reason you are experiencing tiredness is most likely withdrawls... which means your body is addicted to the caffeine.... someone asked why should she give it up... well because its not good to be addicted to anything...

with that said... its going to take a while, a LONG while... until your body adjusts. you may not get any headaches anymore from the caffeine withdrawls. but there are still side effects...

this is why it isn't good to take diet pills with excess of caffeine and other things that artificially speed up your metabolism, as soon as you go off of them your body crashes.

Props to you for giving it up. Just stick with it... and follow some of the other suggestions, when your body gets relaxed, it starts shutting down, which causes yawning and fatigue... so simply get your body moving and you will get a little more energy.