Help! I can't stop nodding off at my desk

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be catty with this question but I don't get why you'd give up caffeine then consider taking a stimulant - what's the difference?!

Could be you have low blood sugar and need to make sure you eat more protein to keep your energy up.
    Could be you've got something medically wrong with you.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be catty with this question but I don't get why you'd give up caffeine then consider taking a stimulant - what's the difference?!

Could be you have low blood sugar and need to make sure you eat more protein to keep your energy up.
    Could be you've got something medically wrong with you.

because caffeine gives me the sh!ts...it's not because I hate it and I think it's bad for me, it makes my guts rotten...trust me I'd be pounding back a pot a day if I could...
  • lilRicki
    Options
    I gave up caffeine almost 6 years ago, I don't think I"d be going through the withdrawls now...I just need to figure out how to kick start my morning without an energy drink...I tried the water on the face, walk to the bathroom and it didn't work...so I walked to 7-11 (I call it "checking the mail") and got an energy drink and now I'm back at my desk, with my eyes rolling in the back of my head, but i have a 5 hour energy shot that's screaming my name...it's awful, jumping jacks is the next method....
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    i find that if i time myself and reward with short breaks it helps. if you're at a desk try 20min of focused work and then a 5 min break. maybe a short walk to get the blood flowing. keep doing that and up your time between breaks. personally i can make myself do just about anything for 15-20 min if i know i'll get a break. the key is to make sure your break DOES NOT include facebook, online games, shopping, etc. lol! also, if you can, have peppermint diffusion sticks or other peppermint air freshener, the scent is known to help invigorate :-) good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    There is caffeine in green tea....unless you're buying decaff......

Apples are generally suggested for helping sleep....pectin.

Try the B supplements. I also use Spirulina, and if you can find a way to get past the taste ( I'm used to it now) then that will help.

Sounds like a lack of food (not enough) or you are eating sugars or not enough protein.
  • bmoore4u
    bmoore4u Posts: 7
    Options
    I drink 3 cups of Yerba mate a day, but it has caffeine in it. Another drink I drink is XS energy: 0 sugars, 0 carbs and only 8 calories. There are 2 flavors offered in caffeine free. But with its 4900% vit B12 it will keep you focused to manage through work. You could also use vitamins. Check out www.amwayglobal.com/bmoore4u. It has everything you need! I use it all!
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    Since you said you have been off caffeine for a while, are you eating enough? That's my guess. If are dieting and exercising but not eating enough, then your body is doing its job to stay alive.

I don't take any kind of stimulant and can stay awake throughout the day. I feel a little tired after my lunch though. Meetings will definitely put me to sleep.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    What ever you do, don't stick a paper clip in a power outlet.

It doesn't work near as well as you'd think.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    haha thanx koosdel
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there is caffeine naturally occurring in green tea. I usually drink a cup of green tea every day myself. I've tried yerba mate. I really love it! It's more of an "earthy" taste but very good. It does help with energy but if I'm not mistaken, there's caffeine in that, too. I weaned myself off of coffee a while back, because I started noticing how ill it was making me feel...and my body (bowels included) were completely dependent on it. I had been drinking it every morning since high school but never more than one cup a day. It was the best decision I ever made! I feel so much better now that before when I drank coffee. But I'm not off caffeine completely because I still drink green tea. Maybe only coffee gave you the ****s?
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Super B Complex is pretty good but why did you cut out caffeine? As long as you don't go overboard I've heard good things about having a coffee a day
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    Have you checked with your doctor? Are you tired all the time, or just at specific times/place?

I was anaemic for a long time and really struggled with tiredness. It may be worth getting something like that checked.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? I was falling asleep all the time - even when driving - and it turned out it was my thyroid.

I'd be cautious of stimulants. You could find out it's the stimulant nature of caffeine that's making you run to the bathroom, and another stimulant will do the same thing. In that case, taking something of a bulking nature - like Metamucil - might work. I know the ads are generally for Metamucil when you're bound up, but my dad took it because he had diarrhea without it.

Good luck!
  • spitfire423
    Options
    YEA I FEEL YA BUT I DRINK A CUP OR 2 OF COFFEE EVERY MORNING WITHOUT FAIL AND STILLLLL YAWN ALL DAY! UGH....IF YOU FIND SOMEHTING THAT WORKS LET ME KNOW...HAHA
  • lilRicki
    Options
    I think it may just be PMS...so far I have a bag of carrots on my desk, if I munch on them I keep my eyes open lol
  • mishto
    mishto Posts: 1
    Options
    What do you eat for breakfast?
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    What ever you do, don't stick a paper clip in a power outlet.

It doesn't work near as well as you'd think.
    Ahahaha! Good to know. :)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Have you checked with your doctor? Are you tired all the time, or just at specific times/place?

I was anaemic for a long time and really struggled with tiredness. It may be worth getting something like that checked.

This is what I was going to say I get tired due to my anaemia. Especially if it is PMS you might need some more iron in your diet.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    Maybe your job is just super boring....:yawn:
  • lilRicki
    Options
    Maybe your job is just super boring....:yawn:

hell yeah it is...