RUNNING...........What's the deal?

13»

Replies

• Running is GOOD FOR YOUR JOINTS. Provided: good shoes, proper healthy nutrition, not crazy-bad form.

"In a well-known long-term study conducted at Stanford University, researchers tracked nearly 1,000 runners (active members of a running club) and nonrunners (healthy adults who didn't have an intensive exercise regimen) for 21 years. ...it found that the runners' knees were no more or less healthy than the nonrunners' knees. And It didn't seem to matter how much the runners ran. "We have runners who average 200 miles a year and others who average 2,000 miles a year. Their joints are the same," says James Fries, a professor emeritus of medicine at Stanford and the leader of the research group. The study also found that runners experienced less physical disability and had a 39% lower mortality rate than the nonrunners.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html#ixzz1PwZkwqUs

In 2007 a nine-year study of 1,279 elderly residents of Framingham, Mass., resulted in similar findings: that the most active people had the same risk of arthritis as the least active. About 9% of the participants overall developed arthritis over the course of the study, as measured by symptoms reported to their physicians (pain and difficulty walking) as well as X-ray scans. And in the same year, Australian researchers writing in the journal Arthritis and Rheumatism found that people who exercised vigorously had thicker and healthier knee cartilage than their sedentary peers. That suggests the exercisers may have also enjoyed a lower risk of osteoarthritis, which is caused by breakdown and loss of cartilage.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html#ixzz1Pwa0q68d
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Ok, so as I sit here with the cutest heels on and HATE that I just lost one of my toenails due to my last half marathon, I have to tell you that running is ADDICTIVE!!!! I started off not being able to do 1/4 mile and now have ran a full and several halves. Several injuries later and severe shin splints as well, I ask myself every SINGLE time usually around mile 8, why the HELL do I do this to my body! Yes, it is hard on your joints. However the best advice I can give you is go get fitted for the right shoes!!!!!! VERY important! Start off SLOW! Use intervals; i.e. use intervals. Run for 30seconds walk for a minute. Then slowly increase your running and decrease your walking until you are comfortable. Of course at first you'll hurt because your body is NOT used to the pounding, new muscles are screaming at you, WTH are you doing to them. Learn the proper nutrtion and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, in the summer or warmer climates because not being hydrated with make you cramp! Other than that GOOD LUCK! oh and COTTON is NOT your FRIEND, so do NOT wear cotton socks they= blisters!!!!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    i love running <( '' )>
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    I hate to run. I do sprints instead. It's a lot easier on you joints and you still get your heart rate up to burn that unwanted fat.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Running is terrible for you! It will make your uterus fall out and your knees explode into fiery balls of light. Avoid running at all costs. You've been warned...

AHAHAHAHA!!! :laugh: Omg--that's hilarious!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I started the C25K last year and had to stop because I did something to my knees. I may have pushed myself too hard. I love running though. When I first started I would get completely out of breath just running a few yards to catch a bus then got to the point where I could run for 20 minutes without stopping. It's been a year since I had to quit and I've missed it so much. I see others running more now that it's summer and I was getting so jealous because I wanted to run so I got the nerve to start the C25K again now that my knees are better.

Someone mentioned the runner's high. YES!! That is the best! Running is so exhilerating and when I accomplish each little goal it's just about the best feeling in the world. I'm so glad my poor old knees are better and it's summer. I'm so excited to start running again. I think my cellulite is beginning to go away a little bit too after only about 3 running sessions. :happy:
  • YellowStrawberry
    YellowStrawberry Posts: 89 Member
    oh and COTTON is NOT your FRIEND, so do NOT wear cotton socks they= blisters!!!!

THANK YOU! I do not know why I am just now reading this!!! THANK YOU!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    I "ralk". Run until I get tired of it, walk a while, run when I have my breath...

lmfao!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Running is terrible for you! It will make your uterus fall out and your knees explode into fiery balls of light. Avoid running at all costs. You've been warned...

Awesome!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    I "ralk". Run until I get tired of it, walk a while, run when I have my breath...

I WOG a very slow jog that is often passed by those doing "power walks" but my bum is out there and the other day I actually wogged a whole mile!!:smile::love: :flowerforyou: :smooched:
This discussion has been closed.