Cabbage Soup Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just find it overwhelmingly nauseating to eat only cabbage soup. Yuck!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

if you see results it will be because you are malnourished and severely lacking the energy your body needs to sustain itself
  • ifeelsqueaky
    ifeelsqueaky Posts: 193
    Options
    Whether it's healthy or not is one thing but I just don't think I could keep that going for a long time at all... In fact I think I would be binging on chocolate within the first few days purely because I wouldn't be 'allowed' to eat it!
  • kaymayscool
    Options
    I would suggest a balanced diet of meat, fruits and veggies. Low in carbs and high in protein. Graze on low calories in between and don't go over your calories for the day. It will stimulate your metabolism. Anything like the cabbage diet may work for a little while, but it always comes back. Balanced and healthy eating is the only way. Anything that comes off fast won't last most likely.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I never understood the cabbage diet anyway. As a child, I grew up next to a cabbage field. We had the farmer give us the spoiled and leftover cabbages daily to feed to our pigs. I don't think it was so they could lose weight, but hey, what do I know?
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I found it pretty easy to follow too, although I left out the cabbage!! :bigsmile: I think its good for a bit of a detox. Gets your body used to not having sweety things. But as everyone has said the weight is water weight and it comes back pretty quick. It's impossible to lose more than 2lbs of fat per week. So if you lose more than that its water and muscle.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • myshell67
    myshell67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i have never done the cabbage soup diet, but i have made the soup, and eaten it. the soup isn't bad for you, in fact, i think it's quite healthy, since it's loaded with veggies. if you use the low sodium substitute for the tomato juice, etc, it's even better. when i have a big batch made up, i will eat it for lunch several times a week. i find it fills me up, and is super low in cals. that said, i wouldn't do the diet thing where the soup is the only thing you eat, but as a meal now & then, it's a healthy, smart choice.
  • gumster55
    gumster55 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have done the Cabbage Soup Diet off and on for more than 15 years. My weight has been like a YO YO. My problem is I like to eat, I am a chef, LOL. But as of late I have realized that I have to change my entire lifestyle if I want to lose weight and keep it off. Now I use the Soup diet to get off of a plateau or drop some extra pounds. On average I lose around 2.5 pounds a week then I will do a week of the Soup Diet and drop an extra 5 - 10 pounds in a week. (Keep in mind I am a big boy). As stated before, if you don't watch what you eat after you come off the diet you will gain it back. The trick is to change lifestyle and it will work. That is where MFP comes into play. If you watch your calories and exercise you can keep the weight off and continue to lose weight. Also for those that eat the soup and get sick of it, I have learned to blend it like a smoothie when I consume it. As they say, the more soup you eat the more you lose. Good luck, and if you need support on this I am happy to be your friend.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it can be THAT unhealthy. It looks like most days you get to have either all the fruits or all the veggies you want with the soup. Then a banana day and then 2 meat days with the soup. I'm thinking this maybe a good way to detox and gt some of my processed food habit out of me...
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    The soup is gross people, good luck getting tot he 5th day without throwing it back up in your bowl.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I tried the masrhmellow diet one time.

Totally didn't work.. ate nothing but marshmellows for 177 weeks, and not a single snow white poo:(
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

Totally didn't work.. ate nothing but marshmellows for 177 weeks, and not a single snow white poo:(

Drink some barium. You'll have ghost-white craps for days.
  • dcornwe
    dcornwe Posts: 73
    Options

Drink some barium. You'll have ghost-white craps for days.

If you can choke down either you are my hero!!!
  • gumster55
    Options
    A couple notes on the cabbage soup.

1. Summer is a very tough time to do the CSD because no one likes to eat hot soup in the summer. I make the soup as directed then each day rather than heating up a bowl I take 1/2 fresh cucumber, peel it and de-seed it and 1/2 of a fresh Jalopeno and remove the seeds. then I place it in a blender with a cup of cold cabbage soup from the fridge and blend until it is slightly chunky - Now you have Cold Gazpacho Soup. Very delicious.

2. You will lose weight on the CSD and any other diet because you are reducing calories and changing your eating habits. So when you get off the diet, work on changing your lifestyle and eating habits (by reducing calories) and the weight should stay off.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    A couple notes on the cabbage soup.

1. Summer is a very tough time to do the CSD because no one likes to eat hot soup in the summer. I make the soup as directed then each day rather than heating up a bowl I take 1/2 fresh cucumber, peel it and de-seed it and 1/2 of a fresh Jalopeno and remove the seeds. then I place it in a blender with a cup of cold cabbage soup from the fridge and blend until it is slightly chunky - Now you have Cold Gazpacho Soup. Very delicious.

2. You will lose weight on the CSD and any other diet because you are reducing calories and changing your eating habits. So when you get off the diet, work on changing your lifestyle and eating habits (by reducing calories) and the weight should stay off.

Couldn't you also lose weight and get healthy by changing your lifestyle from the get-go and not have to go through the cabbage soup phase? Wouldn't that also be much healthier? And more satisfying?
  • sweet_cece
    Options
    cabbage soup is good. cabbage soup diet is bad. had my fair share of experience with this... it's a gimmick. i didn't get pass day 3. you get sluggish and feel hungry all the time.

don't forget that cabbage has a "laxative" effect.... you have been warned :)
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think all things cabbage are the most delicious things ever. BUT, I could never just have soup for more than a day. I would probably cave and grab a Big Mac after 12 hours.
  • vancouveritegirl
    Options
    The cabbage soup diet works. It works because you are consuming probably 100 calories a bowl when the average woman needs around 1500 or so ( don't quote me on that). Have you heard of the cookie diet? Sounds extremely unhealthy to just eat cookies no? Well, same concept. An average cookie is 150 calories.. so replace your meals with one then yes, you will lose weight! But as everyone else here has mentioned it will come back. Not only will it come back, you will have slown down your metabolism which will in turn cause you to gain more weight. You will have lost out on plenty of nutrients so even though you may not see what its doing to you inside, it is definately detrimental. Your body cannot function properly without the proper amount of nutrients and electrolytes. Heard of the sodium/potassium pump? This pretty much runs every single process in your body, if your electrolytes get out of balance your body will too. Believe me, the most SIMPLE and EASY way to lose weight and be healthy is move more eat less. You say you like fruits and veggies, why dont you make stirfry's with chicken, or top fruit in the morning with greek yogurt and flax seed. You got all the resources, use them to your advantage!
  • gumster55
    Options
    There is no dought about that. I use the CSD to get off my plateaus and I don;t do the diet for more than a week at a time. I'm trying to lose weight and want to do it fast. And with a lifestyle change and MFP friends I will keep it off this time.