How to lose "Belly Fat"!!! (please post your tips!!)

Options
13»

Replies

• rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I get this question asked ALL THE TIME at the gym by females. The answer is ALWAYS the same. Calorie deficit, strength training and cardio.
    There are no secrets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^this^^
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Some things that have worked for me (I'm no trainer though-can only go by my experience):

1. Lots of cardio- running/walking/rollerskating/etc
    2. Interval training with cardio and strength (check out Tabata-style if you have never heard of it)
    3. Diet: lots of fiber (sometimes that pouch is....well...fill in your own blanks)
    4. Cut back or cut out carbonated drinks which can encourage bloat
    5. Drink tons of water to avoid fluid retention and to help the fiber work otherwise you'll end up constipated!!!!
    6. Lots of fruits and veggies (see #3)
    7. My favorite exercises: mountain climbers, planks, pushups and lower leg lifts because they all work the core (I don't care for crunches because I personally did not see the same results that some others have)
    8. Stop eating at least 2 hours before bedtime (some people would debate that this does not work, but I find that sleeping on a full stomach causes me to wake up with a poofy tummy so I can ONLY tell you what has worked for me)

Again, I'm no professional and have never been pregnant (which I'm sure also affects how flat your stomach will get), but these are things that I do and I have lost about 10 inches from my waist (took 2 years to do it, but hey...whatever it takes!!). It's still not completely flat, but it's 10 inches smaller!!!

All the best to you.
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Create a calorie deficit, and I'd also advise lifting weights.
  • iluminadaonix
    iluminadaonix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Insanity workout after 2 kids gave me flat toned abs. My youngest is 6 years and for 5 years I did gym and cardio and not much difference. My husband looks at me and say that I look like a young girl that has never had babies
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Is it fat or is just stretched out skin/organs from having your kids? If it's the latter (which I assume it is, otherwise why would you mention having 3 kids in the same breath), then I don't know if you can do anything about it short of a tummy tuck. If it's excess fat then stick to a calorie deficit. Sorry there are no magic potions, just hard work.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Create a calorie deficit, and I'd also advise lifting weights.

This.

However, lose skin, stretch marks, etc are often controlled my genetics. Some women DO have extra skin over their bellies after children even after losing weight. Time helps too. But having children is of course worth the bad things they can do to our bodies. I have a little extra skin but it can totally be sucked in. My youngest is 18 months.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    LIPO!

Otherwise you just have to create a safe caloric deficit, weight train, and reduce your overall body fat percentage until your belly disappears.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I get this question asked ALL THE TIME at the gym by females. The answer is ALWAYS the same. Calorie deficit, strength training and cardio.
    There are no secrets.

IDEA Fitness member

I would like to thank Mr. Buff for bringing intelligence to this bread. Hank you.
  • dawgn49
    Options
    Since you cannot spot reduce fat, the only tip I have is to stay in a calorie deficit and do resistance training.

Im going to say it again for emphasis. You cannot spot reduce. Burning fat will remove it everywhere on your body. It is impossible to only remove fat from one specific spot. You may find that you carry the majority of excess in a paticular spot and may take longer to see results in that area. When someone loses fat you can see it in their face,yet they never did any face exercises.
  • Allersfera
    Options
    PURE CARDIO ! fast cardio, exhausting cardio and of course a good diet, GRAINS are super important, reduce or eliminate refined carbs(Sugars) etc. but of course treat yourself, but be careful, it's not a whole treat- yourself- week.
  • Allersfera
    Options
    PURE CARDIO ! fast cardio, exhausting cardio and of course a good diet, GRAINS are super important, reduce or eliminate refined carbs(Sugars) etc. but of course treat yourself, but be careful, it's not a whole treat- yourself- week.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You cant spot reduce fat eg only burn fat from one part of the body, You have to reduce your body fat from all over. So lots and lots of cardio, but also do some strength training as more muscle burns more cals!!! (Sure I read that 1lb of muscle burns 50 more cals an hour than 1lb of fat)
  • samuel249
    Options
    *Eating small portions
    *reducing your carbs intake
    *No foods after 7 or 8pm
    Try that for a week you will see a big improvement. Don't worry you can thank me later lol.
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dougswife
    Options
    i am 65 have given birth to 2 children that weighed more than 9 pounds each. I have lost over 30 pounds but no flat belly.
    With arthritis spreading over my body there are no sit up, no walking, no exercise except doing as much house work as I
    can every day. I would really like to get rid of my jelly belly but as much as my eating has changed that has not happened
    so I use the inexpensive brand of spanks when I want to dress up. If anyone has any idea of what kind of exercise can
    be done when you have arthritis. I used to walk a lot but that doesnt happen much anymore except during the summer.
    God bless and thanks for serious replies only.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    *Eating small portions
    *reducing your carbs intake
    *No foods after 7 or 8pm
    Try that for a week you will see a big improvement. Don't worry you can thank me later lol.

Myth
    Myth
    and Myth.

Won't make any difference. The only thing reducing carbs does is cause you to lose water weight, which, unless you continue to eat at that low carb level forever, will only be a temporary loss.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    There are no spot reducing exercises. Where you gain weight is genetic. The way to loose it is increase your calorie use and reduce your calorie intake. Other words eat better and increase your cardio.
  • jovz10
    jovz10 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    bump! i want to know too...
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    There are no secrets.

IDEA Fitness member
    Bumping Ninerbuff's answer because it's the correct answer to the question.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!