When is it no longer "baby weight" TO YOU?

Options
124»

Replies

• deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

You say this as the military is currently operating an investigation to change its standards for height weight ratio and how to incorporate muscle vs fat? Also the military is the LAST organization to adopt better medical standards. Hence why they still close c-sections with staples at 90% of installations and do a c-section incision type that is practically obsolete and makes it harder for the mother to heal.

BTW my uncle is one of the top OBGYNs in the country and teaches in other countries (by invitation, including China and Japan) and has debated on becoming a contracted Dr with the military ONLY because private practice insurance is ridiculously expensive for OBGYNs (the have higher mal practice rates then neuro surgeons)

The only place the military is adopting modern medicine quickly is in repairing our injured troops from overseas, and that is still only if the injury happened in the battle field and was discovered quickly

Removed by moderator

I understand where you are coming from I am not a Marine but I was in the Army Military police corps enlisted active duty solider. I can see your point but what you have to realize is that everyone on here is on here for a reason; to lose weight and get healthy. Same as you are, so in some way you must of let yourself go and are now seeking to lose weight and become that marine officer you once were. We are here to support each other not judge. You are very opinionated and you mean well but bringing others down is not the right way to go about it. Thank you for your service to our country and remember we all made mistakes most of them are gaining all the weight that we are now trying to lose. We are here for a reason and me personally have been fighting with my weight for a while. I injured my hip, spine, back, while I was in the army and because of it gained weight from lack of mobility and exercise. Then I admit I gained a lot of weight while pregnant no excuses. I should have eaten better and if I could go back in time and change it I would.
    Please be careful with your words. Everyone is fighting a hard bad, no person know the life of someone else and no ones life is less important.

I agree with this, except we are not all here to lose weight. I have seen several on here to gain or just tone. But it is MFP, not boot camp.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

You say this as the military is currently operating an investigation to change its standards for height weight ratio and how to incorporate muscle vs fat? Also the military is the LAST organization to adopt better medical standards. Hence why they still close c-sections with staples at 90% of installations and do a c-section incision type that is practically obsolete and makes it harder for the mother to heal.

BTW my uncle is one of the top OBGYNs in the country and teaches in other countries (by invitation, including China and Japan) and has debated on becoming a contracted Dr with the military ONLY because private practice insurance is ridiculously expensive for OBGYNs (the have higher mal practice rates then neuro surgeons)

The only place the military is adopting modern medicine quickly is in repairing our injured troops from overseas, and that is still only if the injury happened in the battle field and was discovered quickly

Removed by moderator

Very militarily worded. :smile: I read that about the regulations and had forgotten about the softer kids they are having to deal with. That does make sense. I've heard several older men say kids going in the military today would NOT be able to handle what they went through, just at boot camp.

In all honesty, I have three pretty active kids - one is fourteen and is aiming for the military. Frankly, I hate hiking with him, because he RUNS them. If we'd let them, he'd be up and down a four-mile Alaska wilderness trail before I got my sneakers tied. Someday, I will do a better job at keeping up with him. At least meet him halfway back. At any rate, I know I'm not passing on my own teenaged laziness to them.

I have lost 5 very close friends to this war and was forced to register one that commited suicide when he was brought into the ER i worked at to try and be saved. His PTSD won before the MARINES recognized it as a valid medical issue. Also I take great strides to make sure my child has a healthier existence and childhood then I did because I DONT want him to face the challenges (and negativity) that I have. I also am greatly worried by the generation that exists now that feels entitled to everything. I was raised to EARN everything I got (which is even different then my sister who is a mere 3 years older).
  • Tinan76
    Tinan76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wondering why people are taking pregnancy hormones to loose weight, when the" it's not fair" women on here say it makes you gain weight.
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wondering why people are taking pregnancy hormones to loose weight, when the" it's not fair" women on here say it makes you gain weight.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-05-17/news/fl-hk-hcg-diet-20110517_1_hcg-diet-weight-loss-pregnancy
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    SMH. In all the anti-military brew-haha the point that the military draws it's 6 month (technically 7.5) regulation to get under a BMI of 25 from the medical community AT LARGE defining anything beyond such as "postpartum weight retention" seems to have gotten lost.

Again, I direct everyone's attention to: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0801/p380.html or the SLEW of others.
    IS ANYONE DISPUTING THE INFORMATION PRESENTED THERE?

This thread is about each individual poster's view on their own experience. Where MrBrown72 stepped in initially is when posters began speculating/posting/judging OTHER'S experiences. It isn't about how the military handles c-sections, or the sad state of recruiting, or how my max weight was increased by 10lbs when they switched from the MetLife to BMI-based tables. The military's guidelines on postpartum weight expectations are drawn from the SAME places your physician gets his info from. Period.

BACK ON TRACK PEOPLE!
  • Tinan76
    Options

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-05-17/news/fl-hk-hcg-diet-20110517_1_hcg-diet-weight-loss-pregnancy
    Did you read this ?
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    SMH. In all the anti-military brew-haha the point that the military draws it's 6 month (technically 7.5) regulation to get under a BMI of 25 from the medical community AT LARGE defining anything beyond such as "postpartum weight retention" seems to have gotten lost.

Again, I direct everyone's attention to: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0801/p380.html or the SLEW of others.
    IS ANYONE DISPUTING THE INFORMATION PRESENTED THERE?

This thread is about each individual poster's view on their own experience. Where MrBrown72 stepped in initially is when posters began speculating/posting/judging OTHER'S experiences. It isn't about how the military handles c-sections, or the sad state of recruiting, or how my max weight was increased by 10lbs when they switched from the MetLife to BMI-based tables. The military's guidelines on postpartum weight expectations are drawn from the SAME places your physician gets his info from. Period.

BACK ON TRACK PEOPLE!

So youve gone back to the military standard multiple times in your responses to other peoples response to YOUR question. So why did you ask it in the first place if you still believe the military guideline is correct?
  • shellybsn
    shellybsn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Lost the baby weight (~30# each time) with both my sons in 6-8 weeks. It's the fat I've had all my life that is so darned hard to get rid of! I think that if it took 10 months to put it on, it could take at least that long to get it back off. Because I was obese when I got pregnant, my OB only wanted me to gain 15lbs (sort of missed the mark) and I breastfed, so I guess it came off quickly. Now for the rest of it!
  • southernk5
    southernk5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How are some of you losing 50 lbs. in five months! AHHH!!! Congrats because that is amazing! I worked very hard around the six month mark to get on the weight loss chopping block and ended up losing 15 pounds in about two months. Then I fell off the bandwagon very hard and ended up gaining ten pounds OVER what I was postpartum. Now I am stuck there and beginning to work on it again.

Prepregnancy weight = 135 lbs.
    Weight gained= 25 (I lost a bunch of weight in the beginning due to being incredibly sick throughout)
    Post Pregnancy = 156!!!
    Goal weight = 125

I have some major issues with my post partum belly. Does anyone have any advice for that or how they dealt with it ?
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did, It's as effective as a placebo and the hormone isn't making you lose weight, the 500 calorie diet is what makes them lose weight... If you only eat 500 calories, of course you'll weight, while you starve yourself.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    And any of you with negative posts on how much mothers gained have you thought about the ones on bed rest? Or severely restricted activity levels?

I personally had to make the choice between continueing to work or being on bed rest except for a one hour walk a day because I almost miscarried at 10 weeks, was in a car accident and 16 weeks, had marginal placenta previa at 21 weeks (resolved by 30 weeks) and due to carrying ALL belly and him growing as quickly as he did he actually tore a round ligament. I couldnt lift anything over 3 lbs so grocery shopping was beyond difficult. And I did it all as a single mother so I had no help to do basic living things and bed rest simply wasnt an option.
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    All I can say is at the end of the day I earned the body I have! I had a baby 5 months ago today! I personally am proud of what I have accomplished and I didn't get here by eating junk! Good job to any moms out there you deserve a pat on the back
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    So youve gone back to the military standard multiple times in your responses to other peoples response to YOUR question. So why did you ask it in the first place if you still believe the military guideline is correct?

Because everybody is different. That standard (military's, technically the medical community's) has worked for ME personally because I started out 1.) in excellent health 2.) physically active & fit 3.) at healthy BMI and had 4.) zero complications 5.) gained within recommendations 2 of the 3 times 6.) breastfed/pumped exclusively for 4-14 months AND I am one of the ones who lose while doing so 7.) had excellent support for workouts postpartum. I only bring it up because some have called it extreme in not so many words.

I started the thread so that women who had ALL kinds of experiences (c-sections, "irish twins", hypothyriodism, excessive gains, chronic morning sickness, unsupportive spouses, busy lives, stress, their own health issues, etc) could share their own and with enough responses, see they're not alone. It's not for me, it's for everybody.
  • Tinan76
    Options
    When I tried to read it, it said the page no longer existed. As for pregnant women with medical conditions. That a real reason unlike perfectly healthy moms to be.
  • heather0416
    heather0416 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some of you can't simply answer the question of the original post and stop bashing eachother. Congrats to everyone on there healthy babies and I'm proud of everyone that has lost any or all of their baby weight. I myself am not going to look down on anyone for how much they gained or haven't lost. The point of this is to help and support eachother.
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    I don't understand why some of you can't simply answer the question of the original post and stop bashing eachother. Congrats to everyone on there healthy babies and I'm proud of everyone that has lost any or all of their baby weight. I myself am not going to look down on anyone for how much they gained or haven't lost. The point of this is to help and support eachother.

AMEN!
  • Tinan76
    Options
    http://pregnancy.about.com/od/weightgain/a/Pregnancy-Weight-Gain.htm

Check the chart at the bottom to see how much weight you should gain. This should end all arguments.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    We've tried to leave this thread open, but there have been too many attacks and insults. It will now be locked.

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.