What am I doing wrong????

Options
13»

Replies

• firedrgn2000
    Options
    Thank you Thank you Thank you....Ok so I need to work on my diet and I will admit the last week I gave in a lot Because Im tired of eating healthy and it not paying off. I do try to get fresh fruits and veggies in but its also hard I am on a very tight budget... I know these are excuses but its so freakin hard : ) And here is another problem I hate meat. Dieting SUCKS! But I keep telling myself it will eventually pay off but its not so I will take a lot of your advice and see what happens. Again Thank you to you all. I think I needed that reality check about my diet.

There are decent ways to get protein. Lentils are CHEAP and have a TON of protein. Quinoa is also a good plant source of protein. I make lentils and brown rice on a regular basis. You can add plain greek yogurt to give it a little tang and more protein. There are plenty of resources out there to help you find alternatives to processed foods that won't break your budget. I'm on a tight budget too and it's not easy, but I find ways.
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    I have had the same problem before coming to the MFP site. I exercised for a solid month and didnt move a pound. I cut all caffeine (coffee & tea were my weaknesses) and sugar, added in the 8 glasses of water. After 3 days using MFP I dropped 3 lbs. I do not use salt in anything when cooking--I have the problem of retaining fluids--so the sodium intake is important too. Add in 30 minutes of walking to your exercise routine on the days you are not muscle training. This burns calories and is a good exercise that anyone can do. Good Luck!! It is very discouraging when you are working hard and not seeing results.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This time of year should be fairly easy to get inexpensive fruits and vegetables. Do you have any local farmers markets you can go to for this?

If you do not like meat, then eggs, beans, fish, and even tofu are good sources of protein.
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    I am finding high protein amounts in many of the snack bars. Yogurt is also a good source of protein. The slimfast meal shakes also have 10g of protein which is really good. I am also trying to eat high fiber foods as well.
  • AshCain
    AshCain Posts: 13
    Options
    Looks like you need to eat more protein and cut down on the packaged food. Dairy is a good source of protein, reletively inexpensive. Eggs are good too and easy to make a quick meal with. Also minimize the sugar.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am not suggesting this but I without knowing any better only ate 800 calories to 1200 calories when dropping from 300+ to low 200s... (I went from 307 to 200 in 8 months this way) I now know I lost a lot of muscle that I will now spend years to build back due to the extreme deficit but I still lost a lot of weight, I would plateau, end up splurging, see my weight go up a pound or two and go back to it and weight would start dropping again. You can eat the 1200 calories to lose weight faster but when you plateu your body needs a re-feed to prevent it from entering that so called starvation mode.

I stick to the main reccomendation of eat at maintenance for a week (or a few days) to reward yourself for hard work and give the body a chance to repair and restore glycogen and then go at it again MAKING SURE you get enough protein and fats for basic body functions.

On another note, you may see a slight weight gain but mostly negligible due to extra water stored from sodium but this shouldnt be your biggest concern if you dont have high blood pressure problems. Not recommending eating tons of sodium but for most people it isnt a primary concern.

I focuss my diet on lean meats and fiber (basically chicken and broccoli) as they are slowest digesting and maintain a full feeling longer if you are having problems with being hungry. I definately recommend eating less processed foods and eating more natural foods but not from the weightloss standpoint, but due to the fact you will feel better and more energetic.
  • Lo2101
    Lo2101 Posts: 8
    Options
    BUMP