"Too much" cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is any scientific evidence about "too much cardio". What I'm wondering is if he thinks you should increase your strength training to increase your metabolism and lose the last 10#? Or is this PT just trying to build a clientele and in my opinion is doing it the wrong way. Are there other trainers you could talk to or get advice from?

Good question! This is actually the gym manager, and I didn't tell him my weight goal, his comment was actually made while he was supposed to be doing measurements for body fat testing...he also told me his method is 95% to 100% accurate and that the kid who was doing my measurements/bf testing for me the past 3 months was "doing it wrong" (even though this was one of his employees). He also made a comment about having to pinch me really hard with the calipers because of all the "loose skin" underneath my arms (VERY unnecessary comment and from what others have told me, not true!)

Sounds like you need to find another gym, preferably one without turkmonkeys in management.

LOL @ "turkmonkey"...sadly, the new manager is the ONLY thing I don't like/love about my gym...and I have a really good rate and don't want to change, I just ask my questions elsewhere lol...and I am planning to go to another location (it's a chain) to get body fat testing re-done so I can start over with that...

You may want to work with a private trainer. I have to say, working with mine has been such a godsend. He's awesome. The program he setup for me is easy for me to follow, challenging enough to really work me well, and targets the goals I really wanted to achieve. If you find a good one, trainers can be a huge asset.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    You may want to work with a private trainer. I have to say, working with mine has been such a godsend. He's awesome. The program he setup for me is easy for me to follow, challenging enough to really work me well, and targets the goals I really wanted to achieve. If you find a good one, trainers can be a huge asset.

You're very luck, unfortunately not all trainers are good. It's a shame because some of the worst trainers I've seen around the gym have some of the best physiques. Not sure if it's laziness or what but I think most people are better off finding a website or two that specializes in exercise and learn on their own.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

You're very luck, unfortunately not all trainers are good. It's a shame because some of the worst trainers I've seen around the gym have some of the best physiques. Not sure if it's laziness or what but I think most people are better off finding a website or two that specializes in exercise and learn on their own.

It wasn't entirely luck. I went through 5 trainers before I found Adrian. They were all either mean to me, seemed disinterested, or tried to push me too hard or not enough. None of them listened to me. Took some footwork on my part, but I think it can be done.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

It's a great suggestion! Unfortunately, I can't afford a private trainer any more than I can afford to pay the $60 per session that my gym charges for their personal trainers...I'm just happy I can still afford the monthly gym membership fee ;)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, guys. I appreciate the support :flowerforyou:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    The only time it's too much cardio is if it will be cannibalizing your muscle, and that's really dependent on diet, so I don't think he knows wtf he's talking about.
  • boxingday2010
    Options
    Well I have heard that doing too much cardio can take away from your muscle but it sounds like you're including resistance training as well so I think the trainer mainly wants your money.
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ellen, I'll tell you what "my" trainer told me.....if you can handle it and it's not causing you too much pain, it isn't too much....but you must increase your strength training in order to keep the muscle for your endurance, if you understand that. He told me that too, when I was doing so much cardio but not enough strength, so I've increased the strength and cut back a little on the cardio except for my "personal marathon swim" days. If that trainer is telling you he can help you IF YOU BUY THE SESSION, then he isn't worth the powder to blow him to hell and back!! My trainer helps me even when I'm not paying him, because he can and wants to see me succeed. As far as your fat measurements go, try going to one of the 24-hr fitness gyms there and ask one of the trainers if they would just do a quick measurement....they always do calipers because other than that, the only way to REALLY test your fat content is to submerge you in a pool...and that's just not cost-effective at all. This is all info from my trainer too...my scales show bmi, but that is ONLY set for my height and weight....it doesn't account for any muscle I may have increased over time, so that's total BS! Sorry....I had to rant for a bit.....
    Deb