Does this really happen ??

Options

Replies

• leighkent
    leighkent Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    WOW so many replies so quickly !!!

I have to say, since drinking more and more water over the last couple of weeks, I REALLY taste the sweetness in Diet Coke which is quite sickly !!!

I'm struggling to ever see myself turning down a KFC and I have gone from eating a personal size pizza (Dominos) and leaving a couple of slices leftover, to now eating ALL a medium size pizza !! So things have gone the wrong way there :-/

I have noticed a stomach ache after the pizza, but it deffo hasn't made me not want another one !!!! xx
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I don't dislike it, however, my body can't digest it anymore. I get awful stomach aches & cramps if i eat something greasy, etc.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Your still young. Your body processes food a lot easier now than it will when you get older. Its good to get into good habits NOW and keep them up for when your metabolism does slow down.

Heck, I used to throw DOWN on some pizza, kill some beer, hit a double-meat burger then pound some chips and I did not even have a hint of a gut.... but I was in my early 20's...

Now, one chip makes me baloon up to 50000 pounds :smile:
  • Monkeymin
    Monkeymin Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Since giving up fast food I really wouldn't go back to it. My body reacts badly to too much grease and fat. Not in a pleasant way and it's usually fast. Just picking up something greasy and soaked in fat does not feel like a treat anymore. I would much prefer a nicely cooked meal. If I do feel like something fast I go to Subway that way I can control what goes into the meal and also ask for lots of salad.

I'm lucky in that I am vegetarian now so the lure of KFC is gone. I just hope one day chocolate will have this effect lol
  • victoriamaria14
    victoriamaria14 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've definately found it can happen, I mean, when I first started, I found it so hard not to eat fatty foods, just snaking on a sausage roll or a packet of crisps was so hard! and I'd always allow myself a 'bad day', where I could eat whatever I wanted.
    Now, even on my 'bad days' Im finding that Im still doing pretty well!
    I find that when I look at greasy, fatty foods, I'm just like, why do i need to eat this? I've burrowed it into my mind that its NOT good for me, and to be honest, it doesnt taste half as great as it used to.
    I dont even miss them!
    Hold out for a while, once you get into the mindset you want to be healthy, fitter etc, you will learn to go againest these foods!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Junk food makes me sick now. Seriously, I had KFC a few weeks ago and almost threw up.

Like any other southern girl, I could finish off fried chicken and biscuits and gravy like there's no tomorrow. Not anymore.

Other fast food stuff like fries and cheeseburgers make me feel lethargic now.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I really really don't like pizza, and never have, so it was easy to give up. Once or twice a month I make pizzas at home from scratch (including the crust) and I will have a peice of bbq chicken pizza, but thats as far as it goes. I really don't like ordered in pizza but my husband does so we still get it once in awhile. I just find something else to eat.

As for fast food I really don't want it anymore. I've been back on the healthy eating horse for just over a month now and we haven't gone to McDonalds or Wendys, they were our 2 regular places. I didn't really like it all that much to begin with, it was more for convenience then taste before. And since having my gall bladder out it will sometimes just go right thorugh me. TMI, I know, but I kept doing it to myself. It was awful.

I still crave cheesies/chips and chocolate. I am trying to curb it, but its hard. I have been treating myself to baked cheetos....better then regular ones but still not good for me. I'm trying to wean myself off of them.

The one thing that did surpise me was pop. I bought a few diet pops but didn't enjoy them, I tried coke 0 and didn' like it, and I haven't actualy been overly tempted to have a real coke. I was having 1-2 every day, but I quit cold turkey and have only broken down and had one once in the last month. I'm very proud of that.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person! I've always been a healthy eater and I still crave those things. The good news is though I don't ever crave KFC because they are the worst offender when it comes to factory farmed meat. Chipotle is always a better fast food choice...they support small family farms! :)

Same here. I'll occasionally eat a burger and fries, but it's at a restaurant that gets their meat from a local farm.

If you really want to stop craving McDonald's, Burger King, etc. Watch Food, Inc. :sick:
  • sandy358888
    Options
    Yes! It does happen.. And you don't even have to punish others by not allowing those foods around you. When I first started changing my habits, I told my husband I would not be able to cook for them as I am in an all protein diet right now and I did not want to have the temptation of tasting other things. So for two weeks I did not cook and I did not even sit at the dinner table with them. WE had a cookout for Father's Day. Not only did I cook some of the food, I sat down with everyone who was eating and drinking (I can't drink any alcohol yet) and I stayed within my calories. Not once did I craved or wanted to taste any of the foods that I was not supposed to have and that usually I would over eat. I have been cooking all week and have not tried to cheat and it is not bothering me.

Before I started this diet, I had to carry Tums with me all the time. Had heartburns daily. My stomach has not hurt once since. The first couple of days were a little uncomfortable, but now I have so much energy and feel so motivated. Since 6/13, I have lost almost 15 lbs. My doctor sees me every week.

Another thing: I am a Type II diabetic. Even taking medication, my sugar levels were not controlled. For the past week, I have not been needing to take my medication because my sugars are on target before and after meals. I am not hungry and finally seeing that change on the scale has a smile on my face that it is not going away.
  • mwfannwy
    mwfannwy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I find that I can taste fat or grease now so I tend not to enjoy really fatty stuff. I still eat pizza an that but i just make a lower fat option that tastes nicer to me.
    :bigsmile:
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that I dislike it, but I certainly don't like it as much as I used to. At Easter I planned for some cadburry mini eggs, which were always my favorite and I couldn't even eat them they were so sweet. I find that a lot of fast food is too salty for me now. I still love KFC and chinese takeout, and I don't think that will ever change, but I have found that my tastes have changed slowly.
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I gotta say it happened to me, sort of.

Last year I began having issues with my gallbladder.I wasn't ready to begin my weight loss so I just cut out all fried, fatty foods out of my diet. I instantly felt better so I began eating healthy all the time. Well I got off track and became discouraged. I was going through a difficult time in my life so I turned to food for comfort. Immediately began having gallbladder attacks. I realized it just wasn't worth it. The gallbladder attacks were only part of how badly the food was destroying my body. A few weeks ago I thought I would splurge a bit. My grandmother bought KFC. I REALLY enjoyed the meal but afterwards I felt like crap. I hurt so bad. So I'm not sure if people start disliking the taste of the food or just notice how bad it makes them feel afterward. I was up all night with a sick stomach (I'll spare you the details!) so for me it was that I just couldn't tolerate it anymore. and it doesn't even appeal to me.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It happens! :)

I used to be a fast food fiend! The first time that I noticed that fast food wasn't tasting so good was when the company I worked for had their 5-star chef cook lunch for us. (We were a specialty food company, and he was demoing products). The food tasted SO good, that I wondered why I ever thought that fast food was good!

I went cold turkey on carbs for a couple of weeks to kick my sugar habit, and noticed that the cravings for sugar, white bread, and grease significantly diminished. I have re-introduced carbs in moderation -- I now eat fruits and more whole-grains.

I did break down and had a fast food hamburger the other day -- and it was not as good as I had remembered -- I should have ordered the salad!

Pizza and Ice Cream are still weaknesses for me, and I do have them occasionally. But I don't gorge on them as much as I used to!

Have you tried Chapmans fat free frozen yogurt?? Honestly, it has replaced my ice cream and is only 90 calories for a half cup! :)
    It actually tastes really good!
  • scouter318
    scouter318 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Been doing this for nearly three years, and I've come to terms with the fact that this will never happen to me.

I'm with you on this one! I WISH that the thought of fast food or grease would make me feel ill, or that I'll feel sick after I've eaten it. Instead, when I do have it on rare occasions, I think, "Man, I've missed you guys!!"

I've been at this longer than I've been on MFP, and I can't wait until I automatically choose a salad and fruit over a burger and fries. But each conscious decision to eat healthily makes me more aware of my goals and try harder not to sabotage them.
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    The smell of McDonalds, Burger King, any Pizza joint, KFC, Taco Bell/Johns makes my tummy turn now days. Which can and cannot be a good thing!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person! I've always been a healthy eater and I still crave those things. The good news is though I don't ever crave KFC because they are the worst offender when it comes to factory farmed meat. Chipotle is always a better fast food choice...they support small family farms! :)

Same here. I'll occasionally eat a burger and fries, but it's at a restaurant that gets their meat from a local farm.

If you really want to stop craving McDonald's, Burger King, etc. Watch Food, Inc. :sick:

Thanks for chiming in! :) Yes, or read 'Eating Animals'. Glad to hear you get local meat. It's actually healthier for you and has better flavor!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It has never happened to me! I love healthy food, but I still love the junk, too. I think there is room for BOTH in my diet. :-)

(and actually... when I eat the healthiest of foods, I sort of feel like crap. Vegetables upset my stomach. Nuts make my eczema flare up. I am mildly allergic to soy.)
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I dislike it...it's just that when I'm trying to watch my calories and carbs, a McDonalds burger really throws a monkey wrench into what I can eat for the rest of the day. After a while, it's just not worth it.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible, but it's not the case for me. I've given up sodas for long stretches before, and I have no problems getting right back into the habit of drinking them. Same thing goes for any type of food that I've tried giving up. Actually, I find that once I eat or drink something I had given up for any significant length of time, I end up binging on it. So, this time around, I didn't give up anything, I just limit my portions. I still eat pizza, fried chicken, buttered bread, and anything else I want to, but I don't pig out on it like I used to. 24 pounds lost so far, so it must be working.

I haven't had fast food in a long time, which has more to do with the calories than the taste. I would love a box of McD's chicken nuggets right now, but a 6-piece has 280 calories (!) alone, and it's not enough food to fill me up for lunch. I can eat a good sized piece of grilled chicken at home for about 75 calories and still have room left for sides and dessert.
  • leighkent
    leighkent Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    ALL I WANT IS A PIZZA NOW !!!!!!!!