morning protein

Options
How much protein do you aim for in your morning meal? How much should you?

I am trying to get away from cereal and trying to pack in protein in the am. Yesterday and today, I had an egg with some parmesan on an english muffin and a glass of milk. It's a 300 calorie meal with 24 grams of protein, which is great. Problem is, I find the sandwich dry and unappealing. I am looking at other dishes to make, and am thinking I may do frittata, which, if I drink a glass of milk, would be about 315 to 330 calories with 21.5 to 22.5 grams of protein depending on how I make it.

Any other suggestions for good protein filled breakfasts? I eat a greek yogurt as my am snack, so I don't really want to make that my breakfast food.

Thanks!

Replies

• debadams1964
    debadams1964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    this morning i had an omelette with 3 eggwhites,spinach and sauteed mushrooms. I find myself running into the same problem with protein! I enjoy a slice of wheat bread with a small amount of peanut butter on it with a glass of milk also. Kashi makes some good low sugar, lots of protein, cereals too!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I love to add a wedge of laughing cow cheese to my eggs (egg substitute) to add some flavor! I also like to mix into the egg some seasonings or some Frank's red hot sauce.

Today I had an english muffin, spread with wedge of Queso Fresco laughing cow, two slices of tomato, 2 eggs worth of egg substitute and a side of turkey sausage. Calories: 284, Fat: 7, Carb: 29, Protein: 27
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Kashi cereals have more protein than most.

Kashi Go Lean Crunch is like granola, only low fat and lots of fiber.

Kashi Go Lean is not as sweet - I mix with light yogurt, blueberries & almonds - Yum! Again - high fiber & protein.

ORIGINAL Special K has quite a bit of protein - the other Special K's .... are not special.

Also greek yogurt - has very good protein numbers.
  • ShoeDeahva
    ShoeDeahva Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Many people feel that bacon is the bane of our existence. However, Oscar Meyer's Center Cut bacon is only 70 cals for 3 slices with 7 g o protein and 5g of fat.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I know some people might yell at me for this but the Special K Protien bar is delicious and easy when you are short on time.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love to add a wedge of laughing cow cheese to my eggs (egg substitute) to add some flavor! I also like to mix into the egg some seasonings or some Frank's red hot sauce.

Today I had an english muffin, spread with wedge of Queso Fresco laughing cow, two slices of tomato, 2 eggs worth of egg substitute and a side of turkey sausage. Calories: 284, Fat: 7, Carb: 29, Protein: 27

Duh* why don't I add some tomato to my sandwich? That'll make it less dry/taste better. And some spinach if I have some.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Canadian Bacon, Egg Whites (fried with Pam), Slice of Tomato on a low cal, high fiber English Muffin. I season the egg whites with Mrs. Dash Original to make it tastier too.
  • randykaustin
    randykaustin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you made eggs in a microwave yet? They come out fluffy and moist. Try this:

One
    Put two or three slices of lean ham and a chunk or slice of cheese on a English muffin or sandwich thin.
    Put that in a toaster oven so that it starts heating and getting toasty.

Two
    Crack two eggs into a 4-6" pyrex or other microwave dish.
    Add some salt and pepper and whip it a little with a fork.
    Cover it with a papertowel and pop it into the microwave for about 2 minutes.
    It should separate pretty easily and you can slide it right onto your English muffin or (I use a wholegrain sandwich thin).

Three
    Slide the cooked egg onto the sandwich and add some Frank's hot sauce.

OMG! I could eat one right now.
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    You can do oatmeal, and add in some protein powder, which I find quite yummy and it gives me protein.... :D With a little bit of fresh fruit, yumm yumm.. Also good, greek yogurt and maybe some granola/ or crunchy cereal.. :D
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

This is my favorite breakfast - egg substitute, cheese, eng muffin! Except I use just a slice of lower sodium deli turkey. SO good and fills me up until lunch!
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    There's no number you *should* aim for. You can eat as little or as much protein as you want for breakfast. Heck, you don't even have to eat breakfast if you don't want to.

Do whatever you prefer the most.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I love poached eggs and they'd be good on a sandwich. I've done them with a little cheese melted on top, topped with a slice of canadian bacon (if you add the muffin and hollandaise sauce you have eggs benedict but also a lot more calories!)

Quiche is good and you can make it pretty much any way you like it. My favorite is with chicken and broccoli but ham and a bunch of veggies is also really good.

I tried the oatmeal with protein powder and really didn't like it but that's just one person's opinion. I do like oatmeal with chia seeds and toasted nuts or with almond butter stirred in.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 hard boiled eggs for breakfast most mornings along with a whole wheat bagel. Keeps me going for most of the day :)
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm too naughty for this thread. :devil:
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I like plain oatmeal mixed with peanut butter and banana. Keeps me full until lunch.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    sFun_zipit.gif
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    **bites lip and hangs head**

**mumbles** why do i always have to be so naughty
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options