Where do you smaller WOMEN shop?

Options
I never, ever thought I'd be wondering this or even having to ask this question! But where do you size 4-6 women shop? I am living in a small upper midwest town and frankly, finding age appropriate clothis is a problem first, but then even more frustratingly, is the quest to find something size appropriate! granny clothes don't cut it and I certainly don't want to wear teen clothes!

I'm new to a size 6, but have noticed some of them are getting big and when I'm out shopping and find something to try on , I'll ask my daughter to run back to the rack for a 4 and inevitably -- there are no 4's! So I'm not a fashionista! I shop at big department stores...the one named after a copper coin or the one that sells appliances to extreme home do-over shows. There are a few others too, but I don't want to shop the teen dep't and end up looking like a trashy miley cyrus or whoever is "hot" these days.

So, where do you smaller ladies find age appropriate clothing? I'm 35. Mother of 3. I like to look fashionable -- just not fashionably young. :)

Replies

• Britt22706
    Britt22706 Posts: 97
    Options
    Macy's has a great assortment of clothing for all ages. Also, depending on the type of clothing, Express and New York and Company also sells very fashionable clothing for women. Not sure how much you are looking to spend though.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    I've slowly fallen in love with Old Navy over the years :)
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you live or if its a chain but there is a little boutique called Romy's. They sell skirts and dresses and nice tops. I wouldnt shop there for all my clothes but its definitely a favorite.
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Target!
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am in Canada but do you guys have Ricki's there? It is my favourite store!!
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    I like Bealls and Bealls Outlet, too, but you've probably never heard of either. Haha.
  • Baker0821
    Baker0821 Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Old Navy and New York & Co. Actually, pretty much everything I own is from NY&Co. even my jeans. Oh...and Kohl's! I :heart: me some Kohl's!
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Since I've gotten smaller, I love Banana Republic, The Gap & J. Crew. I go to the outlet versions of those stores so its a bit cheaper. Also, try Goodwill, especially if you are still working on loosing more. I went from a size 12 to 10 and bought new expensive jeans...then a month later I was at an 8 and now Im at a 6, so buying jeans every time is expensive. I just go to goodwill and see what they have, if you spend the time there and look through the stuff you can find some really good deals on clothes with good brands and are still in good condition!

Happy Shopping :)
  • erin1414
    erin1414 Posts: 18
    Options
    white house black market...OUTLET STORE :)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I like Ann Taylor, the Loft, and Talbots - they have smaller sizes, and a petite section.
  • kristie778
    kristie778 Posts: 51
    Options
    I like Ann Taylor LOFT. I'm also in my 30's and it's hard to find clothes that don't look too teenager-ish or too granny-ish, lol...but they have a nice selection of reasonably priced clothes in smaller sizes. Have fun shopping!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Another nod to Target. Reasonable prices and a nice missy selection.
  • ShoeDeahva
    ShoeDeahva Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that if you find something at a great price point but is a little big--buy it and have it altered. The alteration expense and cost of the piece should still be less than the original price. Once you do this, don't let them cut the fabric and you will have a tailored article of clothing. Also, check Cache, Chadwicks.com, Metrostyle.com and Victoria's Secret.com. I have also recently rediscovered consignment stores. Good Luck!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Mexx. H&M. Esprit. Guess.

You can shop ANYWHERE, lovely!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I also love Banana Republic and J.Crew!

But when I don't feel like dropping a lot of money on clothes I will shop at Target, Ross or TJMaxx. They have cute affordable items.
  • Hart2008
    Hart2008 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love the Limited for both work and play clothes!
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Macy's (they have good sales most of the time), The Limited (great work clothes and if you catch the sales you can save a lot of money), NY and Company and online. I know if you spend over $99 at macys.com you can get free shipping. And if you sign up for their emails they usually have some promotional codes. Once you start trying different brands and learn the size you wear in each one it gets easier to order online since you don't have to return as often!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Since I've gotten smaller, I love Banana Republic, The Gap & J. Crew. I go to the outlet versions of those stores so its a bit cheaper. Also, try Goodwill, especially if you are still working on loosing more. I went from a size 12 to 10 and bought new expensive jeans...then a month later I was at an 8 and now Im at a 6, so buying jeans every time is expensive. I just go to goodwill and see what they have, if you spend the time there and look through the stuff you can find some really good deals on clothes with good brands and are still in good condition!

Happy Shopping :)

JCREW!!!!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Target, Wal-mart, Kohl's, Macy's, Old Navy....Also shopping online is an option :wink:
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love Gap and Old Navy will do too. I'm a sz 2 in either store and they both offer petite lengths. I just saw a target post too, I diddle and daddle there as well. Oh and Levis are a staple of mine i can get to be a bit of a shopaholic.