Moxie's Merry Band of Booty Shrinkers!! (Closed Group)

Options
We have embarked on a journey together! And we will proceed to kick other booties while shrinking our own!! We will set sail on July 1, 2011 aboard the mighty Moxie. Our cruise will last the entire month of July in which our sole goal is to burn calories. It doesn't matter how and it doesn't matter what we do. These calories will be converted into miles rowed. We will be competing against other boats that are attempting to outdistance us. Please note that I did say "attempting" as we will certainly give them a run for their money.. er.. I mean, booty!

Our crew consists entirely of ladies so we all know how capable and dedicated we already are. There are only a few crew members aboard that I know previously so introductions will be helpful and any new friendships that are likely to form will only add encouragement to one another (after all, we will be on a boat with each other for a whole month).

The crew members are as follows:
ccrawshaw
dcrawshaw
loveleeb
katbass
abra526
adellepuppy
skylar1907
rebecca_florida
seasidebeachgirl
melaniep_tx
tammye2011
mirandagoins
vmata1
lauriek70
posy43

I'm so happy to be on a crew as wonderful as this one!!

Replies

• _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Thank you captain for getting a team together!

My name is Windy and starting today I am off for 7 weeks, so I plan to do some serious calorie burning!

Can't wait for this challenge to start!
  • ccrawshaw
    ccrawshaw Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'll start the intros (but Windy beat me to it while I was typing... :laugh: ).

My name is Casey Crawshaw. I'm single, never been married. I have two dogs (Boo & Sadie), two cats (Katydid & Stitch) and a horse (Kobe). I'm definitely an animal lover! I bought my first house about a year and a half ago and have been immersed in home improvement. I finally completed my Bachelors in March so that freed up a considerable amount of time for me to work on my house and to exercise. The main ways that I burn calories is biking, walking, running, water aerobics, hiking, Zumba, strength training, 30 Day Shred, P90X, home improvement, cutting firewood, cleaning, etc, etc. You get the idea. I'm super busy all the time and when I'm not I usually fix it so that I am. :laugh: If I'm not running 900 mph with my hair on fire, something's wrong. Oh, and I'm chronically late. :grumble:

I was raised on a farm just a few miles from where I live now. My parents still live there. You'll meet my mom after bit as she's doing MFP with me and is on our crew. I live in the country and I love it!!! There's no other place to be (IMHO). The town I live closest to is only about 300 people strong, which suits me just fine. :wink: I live in NE Kansas and, yes, the weather here is just like they say it is!

If you have any questions (whether they are related to the challenge or not), please don't hesitate to ask. :happy:
  • ccrawshaw
    Options
    Thank you captain for getting a team together!

My name is Windy and starting today I am off for 7 weeks, so I plan to do some serious calorie burning!

Can't wait for this challenge to start!

Yay, Windy!!!! That's works out great for us and for you!!
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My name is Brittany, I also live in NE Kansas. I am married and have a super ornery 4 year old son who has made it his mission to keep me eternally busy. We love to get outside and spend quality time together on our 5 acres of land. Our road has 3 houses on it, and I can only see one of them from my driveway, and that is just how I like it! We have 2 dogs (Colby and Dozer), one cat (Jegs), and two horses (Cody and GinParrZan). I burn calories by walking, attempting to jog, riding horses with my son, zumba, swimming and now biking. I grew up in New Mexico rodeoing and learning that hard work really does pay off. Every Thursday night I get together with a great group of gals and we figure out some type of calorie burning activity, and that quality time with the girlfriends is as beneficial to my soul as it is to my booty shrinking mission. I can't wait to see what kind of calorie burns you gals can crank out, and since I know several of you, I have some sort of idea what I'm in for! GO TEAM MOXIE! :bigsmile:
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey Moxie crew! My name is Rebecca. My husband and I live in Central Florida with our dog, Monkey. I started doing MFP in March to plan for a trip we took in May. Had a great trip, gained a bit back, but am happy to report I'm back on track and I'm here for the long haul! I love eating and cooking, but I now focus my cooking on finding healthy alternatives. My new-found appreciation for exercise has my husband doing double takes because it was quite a life-changer for me (he used to have to drag me off the couch!).

I am lucky enough to have a spare room at home converted into a gym (of sorts) with a bowflex, treadmill, free weights, bench, mat, and TV so I do my 30 Day shred DVDs and other strength training or cardio there. But I love the outdoors (although FL is really HOT now...) so I love to play tennis, kayak, swim, bike, walk and (very recently) jog outside.

For the record, although I'm a suburbanite with a desk job, I love the country! I love animals and trees and wide open spaces and in an alternate life I would run a bed and breakfast/organic farm. Preferably in Spain. Haha! Well, we all need dreams...

Can't wait to kick some booty! :bigsmile:
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I am Laurie Kinnamon from Annapolis, MD which is on the Chesapeake Bay. It is lovely place to live and the best is I can drive 3 hours either East or West and be at the beach or in the mountains. We are currently having a heat wave with high humidity so it if hard to be outside right now.

I am single, have one cat (Oakley) and right now I am house sitting for a friend and her two dogs (Sasha and Max). My favorite forms of exercise are: working out with my trainer, spinning, WATER AEROBICS, walking. I am looking forward to this challenge.
    You are welcome to friend me if you like.

It will be fun getting to know everyone.

Laurie
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Ok I didn't type near enough!

I live in Connecticut, I'm 43, 4 kids, divorced. I work in a school so I have the summer off. Usually spend the time with the kids in the pool or at the beach. I love swimming, that and walking are my main forms of exercise. I tried to do some strength exercises and was embarrassed about how weak I was! I will be getting the 30-day shred and start that July 1st in addtion to being in the pool for hours every day! I'm doing this more to be healthier and stronger, although I am tired of my weight yo-yoing. I eliminated soda out of my diet and am trying to introduce more fruits, vegetables and healthy foods. I fall into the habit of eating on the go and never exercising because of working full time and having 4 kids that are very active! I'm hoping this summer to really make changes that I can carry through with when I go back to work in the fall.

I'm hoping at the end of this challenge to go from Team Moxie to Team Milf! :laugh:
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

I'm hoping at the end of this challenge to go from Team Moxie to Team Milf! :laugh:

haha I love it!
  • ccrawshaw
    Options
    I forgot to mention about reporting calorie burns. I don't have a problem going and "stealing" your numbers as long as I have access to your diaries (I would wait until the following morning to "steal" them to allow for a complete and finished number if the challenge will allow me to wait that long), but I would prefer you all telling me so that I'm not getting a number when you maybe aren't done entering exercise. It doesn't matter to me how you prefer to tell me (i.e. PM, on my wall, FB (for those of you on there with me), texting (for those of you who have my number, if you don't have it and want it, just let me know, it doesn't matter if I never heard of you before yesterday) or personally. Just make sure that I respond to you, letting you know that I got it. I will not respond until I'm in a position to log it to make certain that no one falls through the cracks. If you haven't gotten a response within a few hours, you might remind me again or PM Mom to start looking for me. I might be lost at sea. :laugh:

I have a pretty forgiving job (most of the time) and a smart phone so getting a relatively prompt response should not be an issue.
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you Casey! Thanks for organizing the group, setting the awesome tone for our ship, and being willing to collect all the data - you're a rock star!
  • journeytoahealthy51
    journeytoahealthy51 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tammy. I am 42, and also live in NE Kansas with my wonderful husband. I second the other rural Kansas gals who wouldn't trade it for the world! I work as an RN in a tiny rural hospital (and used to work with Casey!). I have a 20 year old son at the University of Oklahoma, and a almost 18 year old son who is going to be going to college at Full Sail University in Florida in March (can't wait to visit him there!) I am on this site to lose weight, but along the way, figured out how much better I feel when I exercise. Who knew! I started Couch to 5K just 3 weeks ago, and just finished week 6 yesterday (yeah, a little bit of an over achiever!) I have decided that I am addicted to running outside. Not so much on the treadmill:( Starting Sunday, I will be running a fireworks stand, and will be really trying to get some running in while I am there. I will try not to fail Team Moxie at the first, and I promise I will kick it into high gear when the stand is closed. I usually also walk 40 minutes each evening. I have a puggle that is just a total brat if he doesn't get his walk in! I look forward to being on a team with all of you, and we will kick some serious bootie!!!!!!!!
  • dcrawshaw
    dcrawshaw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Danna Crawshaw, Casey's mom. I am 60 and also live in NE Kansas. I am retired after working for the BNSF Railroad forty years. I live on a farm and enjoy exercising alone, with my daughter and with her friends. I recently got a kettlebell and found that the workouts are quite enjoyable ... I might be ready for the next heavier bell before too long. I have an exercise room (Livestrong elliptical, Gazelle, recumbant bicycle, small trampoline and push/pull machine) for when the weather won't let me walk, trampoline, bicycle, ride my horse, yard work and/or gardening. I love spending time with my family and animals.
    I look forward to sharing our workouts and watching Moxie speed through the waters.:happy:
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thanks for being captain and putting this together!!

Anyway.. I suppose I am Brittany #2 since I posted second. lol I am 23 and in my second year of my master's program for counseling psychology. I live in Minnesota. I am recently single and it very weird b/c that relationship lasted almost 5 years before it ended. My goal weight is currently 138 but I am thinking of dropping it to 135 so I have about 10 more pounds to lose.

This past week I have been struggling with a bad sinus infection so my workouts have been little or none. HOWEVER, I plan on being in tip top shape before July 1st as I can help kick some booty in this challenge. I average about 600 calories for every hour I work out. :) I am currently training to run a 5k so my main exercise right now is jogging, weigth training, and sometimes Jillian Michael's videos.

I am excited to meet you all and please add me if we are not already friends!. Let's go TEAM MOXIE!!

*****IMPORTANT NOTE***** If any of you do NOT have an HRM I would highly suggest getting one because often times MFP underestimates your actual calories burned. I got a really good, really cheap one from Amazon. It's called a Sigma Onyx Balance $66 plus free shipping.
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    I go by a childhood nickname: Skylar. I am 23, and an MBA student in New York. I got injured as a kid (did serious damage to both knees) and was in and out of PT for a very long time. I finally got to the point I could ride horses again and I jumped at the chance my senior year of college. By then I had hit my highest weight two years earlier - 265lbs. I was down to 245ish by mid-senior year and last summer through riding and being with MY first horse, Cody, I was down somewhere around 230. Cody is my world - she's like my daughter and if you are one of my friends, you'll notice I post about her OFTEN (she's the one on my ticker & profile pic). Anyway, when I moved to New York and couldn't ride 5-7 days a week weight crept back on. Our winter was especially harsh and made things tough - there were weeks I couldn't go riding because the snow was so bad.

I decided this spring, through educating myself & talking with friends that I needed to be more realistic about where I'm 'supposed' to be on the scale. I'm a large-frame girl. I've had doctors tell me time and again a single-digit size isn't going to fit me. So for awhile I thought why try? I carry the extra weight well - I don't look morbidly obese or even obese. And most people thought I weighed 40-60lbs less than I actually did. And, I could always find clothes that looked pretty good. It took a lot of time shopping, but I could find them.

I'm doing this for me - to be healthy, fit & riding with my horse(s) until I'm 85+. To be able to go on grand adventures with kids, grandkids & great-grands in the future. I've got BIG dreams and its time for me to stop standing in my own way!

From March 28th - my first day on MFP - to today I've lost 30lbs (now 215). I'm hoping to lose another 15-20 before August 8th. August 9th is the first day of my business fraternity's biennial national conference. I truly hope to be in 'one'derland by conference time. I know my brothers will be proud of what I've achieved. My second short-term goal is to be 185 or less by September 18th. This is the high end of 'healthy' BMI for me (I'm 6ft) and the 19th is my LAST first-day of school! If I'm 185 or less by that time... I will weigh less (by 3lbs) than my first day of 8th grade, a decade previous.

My first major goal is to be down to 175 (70lbs lost!!!) by early November/Thanksgiving. After that my weight loss will cease to be a numbers game and be all about toning this awesome body of mine into a lean, toned, tight machine! My final target weight is between 155-170 with 20-25% body fat (athletic/fit).
  • MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thank you Casey! Thanks for organizing the group, setting the awesome tone for our ship, and being willing to collect all the data - you're a rock star!

I totally agree! This is going to be alot of fun!

My name is Melanie, I am 35 and I just moved to the Houston area from North East, PA. My husbands company transferred us down here and we are loving it!! I am originally from NJ though-(Poor NJ, the reality TV scene is REALLY making us look bad, lol)

Anyway, I am married I have 2 kids, 1 dog named Jack and a hamster named princess. I am a S.A.H.M. although I will probably getting a job this coming school year when the kids go back. I started MFP last year and I LOVE IT! Please feel free to add me! I'd love all the support I can get and I especially LOVE giving it!

My diary is always open so feel free to get my exercise numbers whenever you need them.
  • MirandaGoins
    Options
    Hey yall. Im Miranda, I now live in South Flordia moved here last summer from Oklahoma where I was born and raised. I have two kids, my son is 5 and my daughter is 2. She is a handful and my son is very passive!! I have been married for almost 3 years now and have yet to lose the weight from having my daughter. Right now I am doing the 30 day shred and am only on day 4 but I am trying to stay dedicated. I enjoy swimming so my goal on the first is to start swimming laps in my pool. I have just started MFP because a friend recommended it. I am one who needs a good push every now and then so dont be afraid to tell me to pick up the pace!!
  • ccrawshaw
    Options
    I just love reading about you all and I'm super excited about all the new friends that I already have just by putting this team together. One of our crew members had a great idea! Adellepuppy went out and found several "Moxie" pics that she uploaded into her profile pics. If you are interested in having one of hers, feel free to friend her (if you haven't already) or you might find your own online.

Go Team Moxie!!
  • posy43
    posy43 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I'm Alison, I am 48 and live in the UK. I started my journey for the second time on 19th may 2010 starting weight was 351lbs.my goal weight is 140lbs
    I am a property lawyer and own my own law firm.

As I said I am on my second journey I did lose 217lbs once before but then following a serious illness I regained all the weight and I now find myself travelling a familiar road once more.

Although I am doing this for me I also fund raise for macmillan cancer support organisation and am doing a sponsored diet to raise much needed finds for them....if I cheat I not only let myself down, but I also let them down.....motivation enough to keep me on the straight and narrow :smile:

just over 12 months ago when I started this journey I was at the point when I physically could not walk up the stairs I had to crawl up on my hands and knees I could not stand up for more than a few minutes at a time....now in just over a year I am already so much healthier, I've lost 96lbs and a couple of weeks ago I did my first 7 mile fell walk/climb.
    It took me 6 hours and 29 minutes, my brother who is a walk leader and a very experienced walker did it in 2 hours 46 minutes so I don't think I did that bad at all
    Have to admit though when I got back to my car I burst into tears, partly because of the sheer thrill at having achieved something that I never thought I would ever be able to achieve and partly because oh my goodness, I hurt in parts I didn't even think could hurt.

I am so proud of what I have achieved so far it just inspires me to do more.

Thanks for inviting me to join your crew I am really looking forward to it

If we aren't already friends, please feel free to add me, remember to put Moxie on the request
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    HI Everyone,
    It is great to meet everyone and I love the fact that we are from all over the world.

I started working out last June 2010- when I started summer vacation- I teach science at the middle school level. I decided that I needed something to do during the summer besides take classes. My weight at that point was about 268 pounds. I would exericse by walking the track and maybe a little bike or weights. I saw some progress but needed more help. In January, I started with a personal trainer, who I meet with 2x a week, which helps keep me focused on proper form for exercise. I started a new diet plan on June 20 that focuses on proteins more than carbs. During this week I have lost 5-6 pounds, I will admit it is a little scary to lose that much weight at one time so I am being careful and will be consulting with my doctor next week. The diet I am doing is the Dukan diet at the suggestion of my trainer and I made him wait for me to be ready. Still not 100% but I am okay with it for now. Prior to starting the diet I lost 36 pounds in roughly 6 months, now I am up to 41 pounds. My long term goal is to lose 100 pounds. I would be happy to achieve a final weight between 170-180 pounds and keep it there. I just meet my first goal of losing 40 pounds so my next stop is 62 pounds, which will put me at the 200 pound mark and ready to enter w ONE der land

Laurie