Bowel Movement, yes.. pooping!

Options
So, don't get all discouraged cause I'm asking a question about Bowel Movements. It's natural! I am wondering how many BM's does a healthy person have each day! I am lucky to get one. Don't tell me to go to a doctor and all that. They already know. So I was told to put more fiber into my diet, which I've been trying my best. I sometimes take fiber supplements. I drink lots of water also. Since I have started losing weight and eating better, I have noticed a change but I don't think it's enough. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was have this issue also...whats worked for me is taking castor oil once a week (about 2 TBSP)....I have to admit it is super nasty but it has helped me get back to a regular rhythm. Thats the best I have for ya now! Good luck!:bigsmile:
  • susyseq
    susyseq Posts: 94
    Options
    Flax seed oil helps
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    hehe I'd like to know tooooo

honestly I'd be lucky for 2 a week for a while o.O that's bad.

but I've been adding more fiber too and noticed a difference (usually once a day or every other).

BRAT diet is for diarrhea, (bananas-rice-applesauce-toast) so I guess avoid those 4?!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    ohh and a friend of mine swears by sunflower seeds WITH the shell (I don't think you're supposed to eat the shell... but apparently that works for her)
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    eat fruit and vegetables and make sure you get healthy fats!

my Weight Watchers leader always told us, "eat a kiwi, first thing in the morning, that'll get the factory going..."
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Prunes.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I take citrucel everyday and go like a charm! Eating tons of fruits, veggies and whole grains just didn't do it for me until Citrucel. It's not binding like Metamucil. I get the store brand at walmart.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    I don't know what you're talking about, girls don't do that :huh:

ok obviously I'm kidding, I go usually at least twice a day. Most of the time 3. I'm freakishly regular haha. do you eat a lot of cheese? are you weird about where you go? Sorry, strange questions, but my roommate has issues and she says cheese blocks her up, and she can ONLY go at home, so sometimes she holds it (especially if she's spent a couple days at her boyfriends or something) and then that completely throws her off.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    i go 3-4 times a day, but i have crohns disease so that might be more than a normal person!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I go once a day but there has been times where I've missed a day here and there. The healthier you eat the more constipated you can get from what I've noticed personally. When I have problem I add more spinach to my menu and I take MiraLAX 3 times a day mixed with Trop 50 juice, protein shake...anything thats liquid. It doesn't alter the taste. I do this until I become regular again...usually a day or two. Adding more fiber to my menu made it worst and I was drinking 128 oz of water faithfully at that time.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Just eat a tablespoon of coarse grind black pepper. Trust me on this.
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ohh and a friend of mine swears by sunflower seeds WITH the shell (I don't think you're supposed to eat the shell... but apparently that works for her)

Oh tell your friend to beware, my daughter used to do that and I had to stop her because "on the way out" they were still quite "sharp" eventually causing a lot of discomfort
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have been adding flax seed (seeds, not oil) to my oatmeal each morning and that keeps me going daily, sometimes twice. And I used to only go once or twice a week.
  • phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    Options
    Not everyone needs a BM everyday. After having my gall bladder removed I used to have 3-5 per day. Over the last 2 months since I started eating healthy and exercising I am 1 a day and sometimes every other day. Put it this way. If your body is using what you consume and what you consume is all natural without all the fillers and processed junk your body just doesn't make as much waste. Your body has a limit to how much it will hold and then it must evacuate, BM. Until it creates enough to reach that limit, no BM.

As long as you feel good and the BM that you do have is fairly normal your ok.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    eat fruit and vegetables and make sure you get healthy fats!

my Weight Watchers leader always told us, "eat a kiwi, first thing in the morning, that'll get the factory going..."

That's very true...I love kiwis and if I eat a lot of them.....whoa.....
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    WARNING: TMI - No matter what your issue....constipation or diarrhea....GROUND psyllium fibre does the trick. Gels and makes everything soft yet formed. I have IBS and I swear by it. I won't lie though. It's nasty stuff. I mix a heaping tablespoon into some whey protein powder, add COLD water and mix quickly and drink quickly. If you wait too long, it gels into a glop. I gag it back every morning to the tune of 140 calories. When you have IBS or other BM 'issues' it's totally worth it.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:

P.S. Black pepper is toxic in large amounts...just saying. Cayenne pepper, however, is great stuff. I take a capsule of it everyday for heart health.
  • tierney846
    Options
    Eat Activa Yogurt every day. It works!
  • chaylajean
    chaylajean Posts: 26
    Options
    Just eat a tablespoon of coarse grind black pepper. Trust me on this.

I think this would make me THROW UP! ish!
  • sauntryk
    sauntryk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Once a day is normal, some people only go 3 times a week.
    I myself don't pay attention, but I will say; diet energy drinks (diet red rain) and coffee) are like laxatives to me...the more I drink the more I go,,,but this in NO WAY affects my weight....wish it did :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

You can eat them. Since your body doesn't digest the shells, it adds bulk to your poo.

Flax meal should help to do the trick. It has lots of fiber as well as Omega-3s, so you get double benefits. You can add it to pretty much anything: yogurt, oatmeal, breading for chicken, sprinkled into a salad, substituted for oil, eggs or flour in a recipe , etc. It has a slightly nutty flavor but I don't even notice the tablespoon I add to my oatmeal.