I've always wondered so Ladies tell me . . .

Options
What constitues being a "well dressed man"?

I'm a 50 year old reasonably attractive guy but I have from time to time been told that I could dress nicer - I tend to prefer comfy clothing. What does it mean to you ladies for a fellow my age to be "well dressed"?

Replies

• La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, nice shoes!!! They can make ya or break ya!
  • holcat3244
    Options
    Just don't look like you rolled out of bed, sometimes just a nice polo and jeans with nice shoes makes a well dressed man!
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I am sure you will get a plethora of answers because it is different to each person. What I would say is, whatever you wear, wear it proud. It's all about how you carry yourself. Walk tall, proud and confident.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what "dressing my age" means.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Check out the men's section if you clothes don't match then you need to buy a few shirts and pant to update your style. T-shirts are not well dressed.
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I g otta say I notice shoes a lot. If the guy is attractive, dresses nice but fails to pay attention to his shoes, I would not consider him well dressed. whereas a guy in a t shirt, jeans and nice casual shoes I will notice more.

Shoes can say a lot about a person.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, nice shoes!!! They can make ya or break ya!

HAHAHAHA!!!!! So true!! That's how I got in good graces with my father in law. He's an ex marine. His philosophy was "you can learn a lot about a mans shoes."
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    A man who doesn't wear his pants half way down his butt.... yuck!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    make sure your clothes fit and are clean and wrinkle free. Good shoes a must. But I'd say the most important is that they're clean and wrinkle free and THEY FIT! Most men wear stuff that's too big or too small.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Whatever you wear, make sure it's ironed and doesn't have holes in it!
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    To me well dressed means a nice button down shirt or polo and definately nice shoes. You could wear jeans or khakis but not thos ugly pleated kind for old men hehe! You could even wear tennis shoes if you have jeans on but make sure they are clean and match your outfit. This is from the perspective of a 34 year old woman :)
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    neat, clean PROPERLY FITTING, ironed clothing in good condition
    no spots, stains, stretched out or baggy
    nice shoes, even sneakers
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Just don't look like you rolled out of bed, sometimes just a nice polo and jeans with nice shoes makes a well dressed man!

I agree :) I also love to see nice shorts and a polo shirt. Ps. If wearing sandals make sure you trim your toes nails ....I am sure all the ladies agree here.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Sweat pants are an absolute no no. Well, sweat pants all of the time everywhere you go. I know they're comfy... But... Try just a little bit.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    YEP!!!
  • ttrotter1960
    Options
    Wow. . . . Shoes have been mentioned twice!! LOL . . . I rarely even give them a thought. I own a pair of flip flops, a pair of tennis shoes, one black and one brown pair of dress shoes for work. I guess I need to shop for shoes!?!?!?
  • ToniAnn411
    ToniAnn411 Posts: 83
    Options
    For me, it's just looking clean and neat. You don't need to have top dollar clothes. You don't always have to be in slacks and a dress shirt. You can wear comfy clothes, like a jogging pants and a tshirt, but a nice pair of jogging pants. Not something you would go running in. Not something that's stained and/or holey..lol. And don't wear a "dressy" jogging suit everyday. Throw on a nice pair of jeans with a nice shirt, whether it be a button down, or a tshirt. When you see a man that takes pride in what they are wearing, it says a lot about who they are.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

and adding to that- doesn't wear his pants too high... high waisted jeans with polo/golf shirt tucked in was not a good look. And if 'comfy clothes' includes sweatpants, that might also be a factor.
  • abbz17
    abbz17 Posts: 39
    Options
    You can be comfortable and still well dressed. Make sure you iron, that's a big one. It's funny that a lot of the girls said shoes. They really can make or break an outfit. Keep them clean and don't wear them til the soles are falling off. A nicely ironed graphic tee is good with some jeans, as well as polos. Another big thing is making sure your jeans go with your shirt. I know we all think that jeans are just jeans but try to see if the outfit flows. Sometimes some jeans don't look right with certain shirts.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Not... sweatpants?

Personally I'm not really big on fashion but there's a few things I hate.

Ill-fitting clothes - seriously, between the guys that try and wear skinny jeans (that only look good on super tall thin people) and the guys that insist on wearing their pants halfway down their *kitten* I don't know which is worse. They both look ridiculous and not flattering. Wear clothes that fit.

Dirty/stained/ripped/torn clothes - get rid of them. Now.

Mismatched - Don't wear green stripes with red plaid shorts. It didn't work in the 90's and it won't work now. It won't work ever.

Those are the basics that I think everyone has to work with though. After that it's really up to your personal style.