Trust me. You don't want to open this thread.

Options
13»

Replies

• jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I got a quick education in spider bites last summer when I got bit by a Brown Recluse. I was given antibiotics and everything was fine.

I copied the following from the Web MD site, everyone make note of the last sentence.

Oh the thread creator commented about chiggers, they are nothing just itching like really bad mosquito bite.

Black Widow Spider Bite Symptoms

The black widow spider produces a protein venom that affects the victim's nervous system. This neurotoxic protein is one of the most potent venoms secreted by an animal. Some people are slightly affected by the venom, but others may have a severe response. The first symptom is acute pain at the site of the bite, although there may only be a minimal local reaction. Symptoms usually start within 20 minutes to one hour after the bite.

Local pain may be followed by localized or generalized severe muscle cramps, abdominal pain, weakness, and tremor. Large muscle groups (such as shoulder or back) are often affected, resulting in considerable pain. In severe cases, nausea, vomiting, fainting, dizziness, chest pain, and respiratory difficulties may follow.

The severity of the reaction depends on the age and physical condition of the person bitten. Children and the elderly are more seriously affected than young adults.

In some cases, abdominal pain may mimic such conditions as appendicitis or gallbladder problems. Chest pain may be mistaken for a heart attack.

Blood pressure and heart rate may be elevated. The elevation of blood pressure can lead to one of the most severe complications.

People rarely die from a black widow's bite. Life-threatening reactions are generally seen only in small children and the elderly.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    People rarely die from a black widow's bite. Life-threatening reactions are generally seen only in small children and the elderly.

Thank you! I was just going to post that BW bites are rarely deadly to humans! And even if they were, I still don't see that as being a good reason to kill them. I am allergic to bee and wasp stings (yes, they can kill me) but I have never in my life felt the need or desire to kill one! And logically, what are the odds of actually being bitten or stung by something? I refuse to live my life on a 'what-if' basis!
  • midnightsukie
    midnightsukie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That looks creepy. they freak me out!
    I was lived in Cyprus and I got out of bed and then a tarantula crawled out of the bed after me.

I was frozen to the spot! Had to call reception to come help!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I love spiders!! I would have caught it and relocated it too! I don't kill spiders...ever. Not even the poisonous ones. And all my friends and family know not to kill them around me either or they get a lecture. lol Spiders aren't the least bit interested in biting people unless they think you're going to harm them, so I don't see the point in killing them. And as others have already said, BW bites may be painful but they rarely kill people. My son is trying to find someone who raises rose knee tarantulas right now, but I prefer spiders in the wild. Wolf spiders and orb weavers are my personal faves. We catch wolf spiders the size of my palm several times a week around our house and yard. Beautiful creatures!!
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Kill it, there are other spiders that can do the job. be thankful it didn't get into your house and crawl under your sheets(it has happened) Some things are better dead, and black widows are one of them.

Sure it may not kill you, but so does a game of Russian Roulette
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Thank you! I was just going to post that BW bites are rarely deadly to humans! And even if they were, I still don't see that as being a good reason to kill them. I am allergic to bee and wasp stings (yes, they can kill me) but I have never in my life felt the need or desire to kill one! And logically, what are the odds of actually being bitten or stung by something? I refuse to live my life on a 'what-if' basis!

If you fell the need to kill a bee because your allergic, then you deserve to die. Bees don't usually attack unless provoked, bw's are a different story. Plus, bees are an important part in our food chain who's job cannot be done by another insect. bw's can be replaced easily.

It a freakn bug people, it doesn't have pictures of ma and pa hanging on its web, nor does it give the homeless guy down the street money for food. Let me rephrase this: its a souless killer
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    *shudder*

Since some were talking about spider eggs.. i have a freaky spider story to add.

Once in my old home there was a spider in the foyer. It was super FAT. Of course I screamed and called for the man. He came with a shoe in hand (hehe) and looked at it and mentioned how fat it was. He then thumps it with the shoe and it explodes (oh god just thinking about it makes me want to puke) . Yup. Then like a thousand little dots start running around. Baby spiders, thousands of them running!!! The momma spider walks off all skinny while her babies are running in circles. Even my husband screamed!! It was so disgusting.

And I just puked a bit in my mouth.

Kill the damn widow.
  • djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    *shudder*

Since some were talking about spider eggs.. i have a freaky spider story to add.

Once in my old home there was a spider in the foyer. It was super FAT. Of course I screamed and called for the man. He came with a shoe in hand (hehe) and looked at it and mentioned how fat it was. He then thumps it with the shoe and it explodes (oh god just thinking about it makes me want to puke) . Yup. Then like a thousand little dots start running around. Baby spiders, thousands of them running!!! The momma spider walks off all skinny while her babies are running in circles. Even my husband screamed!! It was so disgusting.

And I just puked a bit in my mouth.

Kill the damn widow.

so did i. oh god that's awful.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of spiders! So I would have sent her to spider hell!

I once woke up and found a brown recluse crawling up my neck. Every since then I kill any spider I find hahah
  • amberleemoore
    amberleemoore Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You really are brave! I couldn't do it!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    SWEET GRANDMOTHERS SPATULA!!!!!!!!!

This has freaked me out............. thank F**k I live in the UK.
  • jlzrdking
    Options

That's hilarious, I may have to use that. :laugh:
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

That's hilarious, I may have to use that.

Tis' from Anchorman....... wish it was my own.
  • EdieBird
    EdieBird Posts: 38
    Options
    I think that widow is smaller than the one I found in my BED a few years ago. I called my dad to kill it, normally I kill spiders myself but that one was special, you know? LOL They're beautiful but creepy as could be and I do kill them if they are in my house, or yard, as I don't need one biting my little 14 pound demonic weiner-dog.

Last year I had a big ol' spiky orb weaver on my back porch, that was a cool spider. Every evening, she'd come out and weave a gorgeous, perfect web, all sparkling and lacy, nab all the little bugs that were drawn to the porch light, and just hang out. In the morning, she'd tear down the whole web, and then crawl into the gap between the rails on the steps. About the same size as your black widow, but heavy bodied, butter yellow with cream and beige fiddles on her belly, and studded with badass spines in two rows down her back. My mom kept saying to kill her, but I was like, why? She's not a dangerous spider, she's keeping some of the bugs out of my house, and she's outside. I think I kind of considered her a pet. LOL
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Come live in Oklahoma, guys. Tarantulas. Brown recluse. Rattlesnakes. Scorpions.

There is nothing more fun than walking out of your house and seeing a tarantula hanging out. It hasn't happened to me since I relocated to the eastern part of the state, but they're all over SW Oklahoma. *Shudders*

Not to mention floods, tornadoes, blizzards, earthquakes, fires, hail, tropical storms, and Garth Brooks.
  • jlzrdking
    Options
    Come live in Oklahoma, guys. Tarantulas. Brown recluse. Rattlesnakes. Scorpions.

There is nothing more fun than walking out of your house and seeing a tarantula hanging out. It hasn't happened to me since I relocated to the eastern part of the state, but they're all over SW Oklahoma. *Shudders*

Not to mention floods, tornadoes, blizzards, earthquakes, fires, hail, tropical storms, and Garth Brooks.

I can deal with everything but Garth
  • Peter_Brady
    Peter_Brady Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    funny-nope-moment-fall-spider.jpg
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    e894c29731a5cdbd634b2dc6097b80ce.gif
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

I was in Mexico last week. Brings back memories.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,763 Member
    Options

They know where we are at our weakest!