My Story, 55.7 lbs later, and Onderland!

Options
melissa0001
melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
I hit onederland last week but did not have a chance to show some pics and my story.....

I did not have any plans to take this journey to become healthier and lose weight. I was fine, or so I thought. On December 7, 2010 I went to work as normal. By 9:30 I had excruciating pain in my left side. It was a kidney stone that was too big to pass on its own. I was scheduled for surgery December 9 (my youngest son’s Birthday). I weighed in the day of surgery at 255 lbs!

This surgery would change my outlook on life, as when I woke up from surgery, I developed a fever and infection was suspected. This infection became sepsis, total blood stream infection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepsis) . My body began to shut down, my heart rate was all over the place, my blood pressure was as low as 45 / 31 at one point. I was told this was not a livable blood pressure. A rapid response team was called, including a chaplin. They stabilized me and I then proceeded to spend the next 2 days in ICU and two more days in a regular room. It took me almost a month to start feeling like myself again. All the doctors have told me I am lucky to be alive and not have any organ damage from this ordeal.

This was all due to a kidney stone, which I probably caused by not drinking water and a poor diet. It could have been prevented, Instead I almost lost my life.

At a follow up appointment the urologist wanted me to track my food for two days and collect urine to test to see what could be changed to prevent future stones. I then searched to see if there was an online tool to use for tracking my food. Thats when i stumbled across myfitnesspal.com. I used it and then kept using it! I began to exercise a few weeks later and have never looked back!

As of today I am down nearly 56 lbs since January of this year!

Here is a before picture.....

Before2.jpg

I did not take any comparison pictures until i had lost about 12 lbs already......

62411side.jpg

62411front.jpg

Thanks everyone! Without this site I would not have seen the successes i have so far. I am not sure yet what my ultimate goal will be but I am going to keep going!

Replies

• kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT -- the difference is amazing!!

P.S. Your son is such a little cutie too! I bet he will be so thankful for a fit, healthy mama!
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Looking good and doing great!!
  • melissa0001
    Options
    arghh... i am trying to resize but they are still showing up too big!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! You are looking great!
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Great story and great progress! You look great but more importantly, you're getting healthier! Congratulations and good luck!
  • Liz915
    Liz915 Posts: 123
    Options
    You look GREAT!!! Good job... you should be very proud!
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic! Your story is inspiring!!!:smile:
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Congrats! What an awesome story!!
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You're doing so well! Glad you pulled through. Wonderful story and great success so far :)
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    You look GREAT!!! What a transformation!! Congrats!
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Thank you for sharing your story!
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You must be so proud.
  • melissa0001
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • dlm10
    dlm10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story, best of luck in becoming healthy! God Bless.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You look great, congrats on your weight loss!

What a scare that must have been for you, glad all is ok and you are on track to leading a healthy life : )
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    you look great, you don't look like you weight 199, more like 160
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on hitting onederland!!!!!!
  • jkelly1954
    jkelly1954 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your fabulous weight loss. Sorry you had to go through the hospitalization and surgery to finally realized your health is so vital. I finally am realizing that myself. I have been told for nearly half of my life to lose weight for health benefits and I am a Registered Nurse. You would think me of all people knows better. You look GREAT! I am so hyped. So, glad you posted!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your inspirational story and photos. And congratulations on reaching onederland. :)
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! You are doing a great job!

WELCOME TO ONDERLAND!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!