Only lost a 1lb in a month. Getting Discouraged :(

Options
Guys, i am really starting to get aggravated w/ this. seems like the only thing that's shrinking is my waist. I believe that was last wednesday i started running 4 miles every single day and prior to that i was doing insanity, yoga, and sprinting. I seem to have only lost 1lb this entire time.

I have managed to clean up my eating. I eat vegetables every single day and I also don't eat anything that's too fattening that's why i don't understand y that skill isn't moving. I drink tons of water and tons of green tea.

I'm hoping maybe it's because i went and worked out this morning and then stepped on the scale but idk if that is a factor. I didn't eat anything yet either. I don't know.. help me out please

Gabby 05/31/2011
lbs- 180.2
waist -33 1/2
abs-36
thighs- 25
Hips - 42
arms - 12 1/2
Bust - 42

Gabby 06/10/2011
lbs- 179
waist -33
abs-37
thighs- 25
Hips - 43
arms - 11 1/2
Bust - 42

Gabby 06/24/2011
lbs- 179
waist -32 1/2
abs-36
thighs- 24
Hips - 42
arms - 12
Bust - 42

Replies

• phatcat73
    phatcat73 Posts: 2
    Options
    You should weigh yourself at the same time of the day. I do it as soon as I get up in the morning.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Who cares what the scale says! Look at your measurements! The numbers went down and thats really what you are going for! congrats

Edit: I looked at your diary. I think you should try eating more. You are leaving a lot of calories at the end of the day and your metabolism will slow down if you stay at such a deficit, especially considering MFPalready calculates one in for you so you don't need to leave calories at the end of the day
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about the scale. You are losing inches!!! Way to go!!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You're stuck at the exact same weight I am. Don't get discouraged. I've only lost half a lb in the last 3 weeks, but it really is the inches that count in the long run. Your weight is just a number on the scale. Do you feel better? Do you look better? I can answer yes to both of those and suddenly the scale seems to not matter as much. I would love to be seeing it go down, and eventually it will, but until then, focus on how you feel and how much you are shrinking. Also, not sure what your water intake is at, but try upping it by a few glasses....that helped me squeeze that half a lb out last week.

Feel free to friend me if you'd like. I believe we could help each other.
  • rhodenizer
    rhodenizer Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, I noticed that I don't have much movement on the hip and bust measurements or tummy, but I am losing so not sure where it is going from . My friend says my face is way thinner and legs are toner . Anyway , the first month you may be building some muscle which is heavy but good muscle burns fat so hang in there. Just think what you are doing for your heart by exercising, it's lovin you :)
  • purpleface
    purpleface Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle instead :)
  • klawson76
    klawson76 Posts: 6
    Options
    Are you gaining muscle from workouts and at same time losing fat? Remember muscle weighs more. The only way to know this is to take measurements, it's a pain, but shows better results.
  • hannahjoanne2011
    Options
    muscle weighs heavier that fat so the more u exercise the more ur fat turns into muscle so that probs y u aint seen any change on the scales the best thing to do is measure ur waist once a wk aswell as weighing urself that way u will see results better :smile:
  • dusk1977
    dusk1977 Posts: 295
    Options
    Hi there, I know how you feel, I have only lost 1lb in 3 weeks, a total of 12lb in 9 weeks but I just cannot seem to hit the 1 stone mark. You have done brilliantly on inch loss so keep that thought and keep doing what you are doing. Stay positive we can all do this :happy:
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You're stuck at the exact same weight I am. Don't get discouraged. I've only lost half a lb in the last 3 weeks, but it really is the inches that count in the long run. Your weight is just a number on the scale. Do you feel better? Do you look better? I can answer yes to both of those and suddenly the scale seems to not matter as much. I would love to be seeing it go down, and eventually it will, but until then, focus on how you feel and how much you are shrinking. Also, not sure what your water intake is at, but try upping it by a few glasses....that helped me squeeze that half a lb out last week.

Feel free to friend me if you'd like. I believe we could help each other.

I drink TONS of water. I actually drink all the water from everyone in the house.. lol . I added you .
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great so far :flowerforyou:

Looking at your diary, my main suggestion would be to try and be consistently eating at your daily calorie goal (eating those exercise calories) and see what happens. I've seen this work for myself and many of my MFP friends. When you are exercising a lot, you are putting yourself at a waaaaaay bigger calorie deficit than what MFP has set you up to lose at. That's why your daily goal on your food diary is there and different every day based on your calorie burns...to tell you what you need to eat to LOSE! Good job and good luck!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Well, I've peeked at the past week of your diary... and if you've asked for some advice so I'm going to be brutally honest and tell you what I see (remember, this is just my opinion so take it or leave it).

1) You are eating too few calories, especially with the amount you say you are exercising. I would aim for 1400-1500 calories, but make sure you always eat at least 1200 regardless, you might have inadvertently slowed your metabolism. You need to eat more to rev it back up again. It will take a couple of weeks for your body to reset, so don't look at the scale too much, but eat more and in a couple of weeks you should start to drop again soon.

2) I'm not a fan of your macros (again, just my opinion). I would change your diary settings to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein - you will be eating fewer carbs and more protein if you aim to make your diary happy with these settings. Protein is harder to digest, will keep you from feeling hungry (fiber helps with this too) and will support lean muscle mass, so you will hopefully burn more fat and less lean tissue as the scale drops.

3) Go ahead and add fiber and sodium to your tracker. Aim for 25 grams of fiber a day. Try to keep sodium under 1500 mg a day.

It's great that you are eating vegetables, but try to eat less fried food and candy. Ideally, you want to eat stuff that is very little processed (very few ingredients on the label or something that doesn't come out of a box or a can).

What do I eat? Egg whites, tuna, fish, chicken, turkey, fresh vegetables (darker, brighter colors are better than pale colors) that are lightly steamed or sauteed in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil, almonds, very little fruit. Whole grains are good but make sure it is 100% WHOLE wheat or WHOLE grain. Don't be fooled by tricky labeling. Try to stay away from starchy carbs, white breads, white rice, sugary cereals, etc...

Here's a great link that will help you clean up your eating over 8 weeks... if you want to give it a try:

http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/

Remember, you have to FUEL your body to do what you need (have energy, stay young, stay healthy). If you feed it junk, it just gets in the way of the nutrients you REALLY need. You can't out train the dinner table.

Good luck! You can do this!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi I took a good look at your diary for food...but before I comment please dont take it to offense but sometimes you have well over 500-600 calories for breakfast and the food choices your eating are very high in sodium...you would be better off having low sodium foods and spread those calories out some ...i sometimes eat big in the morning as well BUT I watch my sodium intake for the most part.....I think you could cram much more food in thats way more nutritious and leave out the excess processed stuff...good luck if you need advice or want to friend me please do ..
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have a same but different problem. I started my weight loss 1 month ago. I lost 8lbs in the first week. But the last 3 weeks I'm stuck at 151lbs. However I checked my measurements and I've lost a total of 7 inches. Don't understand why I'm losing inches but not weight. I jog 3x/week, P90x every night, with Strength Training the opposite nights I jog. I eat 1320cals/day and don't eat back my exercise calories for the most part. Eat healthy keep track of my sodiam and sugar intake in particular, and drink 8 glasses of water. Hope we get some answers! goodluck
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You are running; that is fantastic! Do you know how many muscles you have to develop, in order to do that? Your legs are obvious, but how about the various 'support' muscles in your chest, tummy and arms.

Heck with the scale; your measurements are evident that your body is transforming into something wonderful.
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Looks like your weight is redistributing itself around. Measurement are lean and larger in other spots. If you are exercising and lifting weights this may be it?? Getting stronger. Muscle is heavier then fat. Do you do high carbs?? May want to take a new look at diet plan. How long are your cardio workouts?? The human body doesn't start burning fat till 20 minutes into the workout. If you cardio for 15-20 your not getting any fat burner done. Just warmed up the body. My trainer has me on this workout:

Cardio for 40- 60 mins on T & TH can do longer if like
    Weights & cardio on M-W-F...10-15 min warm up, do my weighting plan for that day, and finish off with 20-40 min cardio.

This is MY workout set up fpr me, but it may be an option for you. Mine is set up to drop weight, while cutting by muscles.

Anything else needed I would try seeing a trainer at a gym and see what they say...

Hope this has helped and good luck!!!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    losing an inch on the waist is nothing to complain about.

Just looked at your diary. You really need to eat at least 1200 calories a day and please consider drinking water.
    Also it looks like you are doing two things with your diet (other than low calories) that may be a hindrance.
    1. you don't seem to eat between breakfast and dinner most days and dinner can be way to light.
    2. while you are watching how much you are eating (great) in may help to look into what you are eating. Balancing your food really will help. Make sure you get the proper nutrients and enough of them without going over on fat or sugars.

The best I can think of is trying to space your eating out to keep your stomach from getting empty over the day. Never ever starve yourself.

Have you thought about talking to a nutritionist at your local gym? Or maybe a personal trainer?
  • joycej9
    joycej9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They're right, you are losing inches! Keep at it! I can tell you I just got started b/c I feel like I have dieted over & over with no luck, or I don't stick to it, and I can't figure out why. I became a vegetarian last year and I started wondering if maybe I was eating too many carbs. Well, I would never cut out carbs completely, but a friend showed me a "bodybuilder" diet that he used to lose 90 lbs a few years back. It basically limits your carbs to before lunch, and protein (meats) to before dinner/by 6pm. Since I don't eat meat I've been pretty flexible with it, but I have dropped 6 lbs in 10 days! I know that's too fast to lose but I'm sure it won't stay at that speed, and I'm consuming enough calories. So, you might try timing your foods a little better - carbs are for energy, and most of us don't burn enough energy at night to warrant how many carbs we eat later in the day. I have not been able to believe the difference at how I am not hungry in the evenings. I used to snack all night long because I was so hungry and now I barely even feel the need to eat a salad or vegetables at night. I feel full all day long! I am eating a LOT of carbs still, just in the morning & at lunch instead of all throughout the day. So, that might be something to consider trying! Good luck! And WAY TO GO with all that exercise - that is amazing! PS - I don't wish to start a scientific discussion with anyone - just wanted to share something that is working for me!
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight it took me a long time to see a change on the scale, but I could physically see the inches coming off. At the end of the day, the inches matter more than what the scale says, so stay encouraged!
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Reading this post and the responses remind me why i joined mfp. Awesome supportive friends who genuinely want to help people reach personal goals :)
    you guys rock