Avacodo

Options
JesaGrace
JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
Okay, so I bought some avacodoes at the grocery store the other day b/c I know they are good for you....Problem is....I have never eaten one before so I am clueless as to what to do with them....are they good plain....what do you normally put them in.....and how do you peel/slice/cut one of the suckers.....I'm open for any and all suggestions....THANKS!!

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Just cut into it and peel the rind off-watch out for the pit in the middle!
    I LOVE to put it on am omellete,or you can mix it with some salsa and make a chip dip. Good in chicken wraps too.
  • soxmandan
    soxmandan Posts: 26
    Options
    make delicious guacamole!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    i like to put it on my low fat burgers instead of mayo or cheese. it taste amazing too me. it is very high in calories and fat so make sure you take that into account when you are making your meals for the day.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    I love avocado!! Slice it long ways all the way around, then twist to separate. tap the blade of the knife into the pit and twist to remove. With the avocado still in the skin, slice or dice it however you want then scoop out with a spoon! I eat a couple of slices plain, or smear it on a turkey sandwich, or mash up with some tomato onion lime juice and cilantro for guacamole! it's pretty versatile :smile:
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    cut it in half length wise, take out the seed, and take a spoon and gently scoop it out of the skin whole. you can slice it and put it on salads, burgers, chicken... anything, also good if you mix it with some low fat cream cheese and use it as a spread, or add some salsa to it and put it on as a topper.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    what the other posters said, and also, i like mine plain, with a little salt n pepper.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Unless you are going to eat the whole thing don't cut into it. When you are ready to eat it you can add slices to salads, sandwiches, diced with chopped onion, lime, garlic, tomato and put on chicken, fish, pita or crackers.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've heard of folks mashing them up and using them as a condiment (replace mayo). I just slice them and put them on my turkey sandwiches! Oh, and on my salads! Yummy!!
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    Options
    OMG!!! just slice it like you would an apple and put on a little salt and pepper and you are good o go!
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I put it in my salads, sandwiches, wraps, eggs, and sometimes eat it plain!

One of my favorite sandwhiches is nice bread, red pepper hummus, alfalfa or bean sprouts, and avocado slices.

My nutritionist said I can mix avocado in with tuna instead of mayo!
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    silce it down the middle long ways and twist. you'll see a giant pit in there. CAREFULLY strike ur knife into the pit, twist, and the pit should come out on ur knife. (u can also just scoop out the pit haha). I usually then slice it while in the shell longways a couple times and then halfways a couple times and then squeeze everything into a bowl.

i will usually make a quick guacamole. squeeze some lime juice, salt, pepper, and chop some onions and thow them in there. they're great on sandwiches as a substitute for mayo. be careful tho, they're high in cals!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    you can do so much with avocados..peel the ski, first and remove the big stone...mash them with garlic,chilli and cilantro for the perfect guacamole, chop and serve with a salad or to an omelette ( but I dont eat eggs) and the wierdes thing I have ever had was an avocado milkshake..it tastes a LOT better than it sounds and was simply delicious!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I admit -- I cut it in half, pull out the pit, and take a spoon to have of it and go to town! To preserve the other half -- a little bit of lemon juice and plastic wrap should suffice (just don't wait too long! Try to get to it in a couple days!)
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love them! I use them as a spread, chopped in salads, dip for veg.
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    If you have a digital scale try to weigh it out also....its high in calories and fat but its the good fat :-) I love them on just about anything. Eggs, meat, salads, sandwiches....just peel and eat! :-)
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I cut them in half (around the pit kinda like a peach or something) and CAREFULLY slice up the inside and then scoop it out with a spoon. My mom puts some italian dressing on it and eats it from the shell thing like this a bowl lol I like them in salads and sandwiches :) I used to work at a deli and we made a sammie called PIlgrims Progress... its turkey, jack cheese, avocado, bacon and sprouts on wheat bread :) SSOOOOO YUMMY
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i add 1/2 avacodo to my morning protein shake....
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love a 1/4 to a 1/2 of an avocado on salad with grilled chicken :) Also great with tostadas/wraps/sandwiches :) Hope you enjoy!!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle a bit of salt on them and eat them out of the skin. Slice them and add them to sandwiches instead of mayo
  • richiedbond
    Options
    Wait till it is a little soft, cut around the middle and pull it apart. The pit and peel should come right off easily. Add to anything you want. I love it with sandwiches, egg white omelets, wraps, burgers of any sort, with tortilla chips. This is starting to sound like Bubba's shrimp...