Splenda...Good or Bad?

Options

Replies

• lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If it's made with chemicals it's not from nature. Truvia is made from the stevia plant and has no chemical additives. Splenda is chemical city! Might as well have Aspartame...

Truvia is highly refined, and has large amounts of added erythritol.

Yeah, and part of that refinement process is soaking it in methanol.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I try not to use artificial sweeteners because I have a few health problems that I don't want to aggravate with that stuff. I usually use Stevia to sweeten most things and I've found that it works great. The thing is, Stevia is still a processed product, you're not really going to get away from that. If you can use Stevia that is liquid or still in the leaf form, it's better for you...but honestly I buy the granulated variety because it's super easy to find.
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    One of the previous posters mentioned the FDA. They are the ones that allow these products on the market and they are the ones selling the products as well. Just watch the video clip. http://www.foodista.com/blog/2011/06/20/how-splenda-is-deceving-you. I don't believe everything I see on the net, but Dr Mercola has done A LOT of research on this and also wrote a book on it- Sweet Deception.

Sure, it's fine for humans if you want to chance getting cancer or gaining, YES gaining weight. We all have the right to make our own choices. Watch the video- make your own decision.
    Dr. Mercola - the one who had his license suspended for giving out false information? THAT Dr. Mercola? That guy is a nutjob. Can't even make up his mind on saturated fat/cholesterol. He hasn't done empirical, peer-reviewed research; his research consists of searching on Google.

Again regarding the FDA - the facts which the FDA uses has been provided by multiple institutions, INCLUDING international institutions across the globe, which have no connection to the FDA. It's a silly justification to blame the FDA when the world of research is at a general consensus on this.

I don't have to watch a video because no scientific research exists that would lead me to believe artificial sweeteners cause cancer or weight gain. If there were sufficient evidence to make that claim, then I'd watch your video. But that evidence doesn't exist, while counter evidence to that claim does exist, making the video baseless in terms of its sources and foundation.

I don't have to watch a video that tells me unicorns are real to tell you the video is wrong. This is no different as there is no proof that exists.

Continue drinking your kool-aid. Have a nice day :)

SOO TRUE!! AMEN!! The FDA and media have everyone hoodwinked and they dont even know it! Most Americans are just a bunch of "sheeple people" that just follow the flow (media and others) and dont question or research anything themselves :( No wonder cancer, diabetes, obesity ECT are killing so many.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    Like everything else, you should not just accept that the FDA has your best interest in mind in any decision they make, but you should find out for yourself. The aspartame approval process alone should make you take all their rulings with a grain of salt, as it was mired in all sorts of twisted politics, cross pollination with pharmaceutical companies, and lobbyist tactics.

Having said that, I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that there are any practical negative downsides to artificial sweeteners.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If it's made with chemicals it's not from nature. Truvia is made from the stevia plant and has no chemical additives. Splenda is chemical city! Might as well have Aspartame...

Mmm, methanol! You know the funny part about methanol blindness? They cure it with ethanol....aka, vodka. Haha. :)

Splenda is made by removing the hydroxyl (hydrogen + oxygen bonded) groups in sucrose (table sugar) and replacing them with chlorIDE, not chlorine. Chloride is a naturally-occurring electrolyte in the human body.
  • lovejoydavid
    Options

Mercola would have stop vaccinating for the flu (good bye old people, nice knowing you), throw out microwaves, stop using sunscreen, and cease pasteurization of dairy products. As far as I can tell, he is completely full of crap.
  • lovejoydavid
    Options

Mmm, methanol! You know the funny part about methanol blindness? They cure it with ethanol....aka, vodka. Haha. :)

Splenda is made by removing the hydroxyl (hydrogen + oxygen bonded) groups in sucrose (table sugar) and replacing them with chlorIDE, not chlorine. Chloride is a naturally-occurring electrolyte in the human body.

Chloride is just the ionic form of chlorine, with an extra electron. In essence, as soon as it attaches to the molecule, it is considered a chlorine atom. However, I agree that, in its ionic form, it is quite natural to the body, and poses no threat and is even beneficial.
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    +1 fan of Stevia.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Mercola would have stop vaccinating for the flu (good bye old people, nice knowing you), throw out microwaves, stop using sunscreen, and cease pasteurization of dairy products. As far as I can tell, he is completely full of crap.
    Pretty sure he talks about chemical absorption from tap water when we shower, too.

The guy is seriously out of his mind.
  • lovejoydavid
    Options

Chloride is just the ionic form of chlorine, with an extra electron. In essence, as soon as it attaches to the molecule, it is considered a chlorine atom. However, I agree that, in its ionic form, it is quite natural to the body, and poses no threat and is even beneficial.

As I look at your profile, I see that you would clearly understand that. You must have been attempting to differentiate between organic, covalently bonded chlorine and ionic chlorine, for those that don't know.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Continue drinking your kool-aid. Have a nice day :)

That? That right there cause me to snarf ALL OVER my monitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

Ironic that the ones drinking the metaphoric Kool-Aid here wouldn't touch the stuff.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

As I look at your profile, I see that you would clearly understand that. You must have been attempting to differentiate between organic, covalently bonded chlorine and ionic chlorine, for those that don't know.

Yep. I think people are more concerned when they hear chlorine because they associate that with pool water. Chloride as an electrolyte maintains its ionic form in order to change membrane polarization and cease action potentials and such.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Splenda sodomized my wife and children.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Splenda hunts dolphins.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Splenda shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
  • gr82run
    gr82run Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have used all of the artificial sweeteners at one time or another. The one I MUST avoid is Equal~ or ASPARTAME. It gives me horrible headaches. They just are not good for you. Just "Google" any of them and you can find controversy and enough to make you want to avoid them. I use TRUVIA or PURE VIA as these use STEVIA which is at least "natural".
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have only a little Splenda, and occasionaly I cook with it. I have hired two registered dieticians, with high credentials, and they both feel that the amount I have is fine.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Splenda kills baby seals with a club covered in aspartame.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    t
    Splenda contains chlorine according to "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills"

It does, the chlorine replaces hydroxides in the bond. However, the electronegativity of that bond is the reason that we cannot digest it for calories. As such, the chlorine passes out of the body, intact with the molecule, without ever becoming a free chloride ion.

Finally, someone who understands chemistry!

I don't understand chemistry. I've had it told to me that Splenda is "left-handed" sugar, but I don't understand that analogy either. Can you explain it to me in laymens terms?