New to Running - What is a good "time" for a 5k?

Options
124»

Replies

• Rintin23
    Rintin23 Posts: 1
    Options
    Congrats on starting!! May I suggest signing up for a fun run? The Color Run is amazingly fun and it's not timed...which is great for your first time! You get to see what it's all about and there is zero pressure!!
    Just keep doing it...listen to your breathing...stop when you need to and walk. You got this!!!
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of replies saying, "30 minutes is a good time". Please remember that 30 minutes is COMPLETELY arbitrary, it's like asking what a good color is and people responding "Blue". Good for who? For what purpose?

Several of those people happen to be much younger than you, and also may or may not have a better general fitness base.

I did a Couch 2 5K program when I started, and I was so out of shape that getting to a 30 minutes 5K in 9 weeks was entirely unattainable. Even my slow plodding resulted in stressed muscles and joints so that I had to repeat several weeks before bumping to the next one. There is nothing wrong with that if you need to do that. You don't want a lingering injury!

On the other hand, some people find the C25K programs too easy and ramp up quickly. Chances are, you are probably in the middle somewhere, just glancing at your profile picture.

A "good" time for you, considering your age and lack of running experience, is probably anywhere between 30-45 minutes. If you walk fast (4 mph) you can walk it in a little over 45 minutes. Really, for your first 5K, whatever time you hit is a good time, because you did it! That becomes your time to beat.

For reference, the first time I "ran" 5K (Calling it running is sort of a joke) I did it in about 44 minutes and thought I was king of the world. I suspect you aren't in as awful shape as I was though. Over the next 3 months or so I was able to bring it down gradually to my personal best of 29:12. That was in January of this year. I haven't tried for time since then, as I've been focused on increasing my distances, but I would guess if I rested a couple days and went for it, I could probably shave a couple more minutes off that now.

In short, don't measure yourself by others. Be patient and avoid injury. Have fun and don't obsess over time.

One more thing... you'll do better to do the runs slower than you think you should. Don't make every run a race with yourself!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Sciency Stuff Dept.
    The 12 minute run test:: http://mhhe.com/catalogs/sem/hhp/faculty/labs/index.mhtml?file=/catalogs/sem/hhp/labs/cardiovascular/10

This translates roughly (and my experience bears this out) that a woman sub 28 minute will be in the top third overall and a man sub 24:30 also in the top third overall.

The key is having a training plan and sticking to it. Many first timers fear finishing last or near the back. Trust me when I say: if you follow a training plan and STICK to it you will not finish anywhere near last.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    my first 5K was 34:34 so 30min would be pretty fast but really I would look at pace per mile. mine is about 10min and some change. I'm running a 5k this sunday so I'll see how much faster I have gotten. I run 4 miles in 42ish min.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all of the responses so if this has been said, I apologize. I bought a heart rate monitor and aim to stay anywhere between 70-80% of my max heart rate (this puts me around 160-170). My time for 5Ks are between 25-27 minutes. C25K is a great program and I think that investing in a HRM can be very beneficial in pushing yourself. Just my two cents, good luck to you!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I wonder how long does it take before a person is really ready to run a 5k?

There are two versions of the C25K model, by distance and by time. Most apps and podcasts use time based, which assumes that by the end of the programme you'll be running for 30 minutes continuously, rather than 5K.

By the end of the programme I did 5K in 32 minutes, and now down to 27 minutes.

Personally I'd suggest that you focus on finishing the time, then you can work on your speed.

It took me 12 weeks to finish the programme, due to a repeat of two weeks resulting from injury, and one due to diary issues.
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I know it's cliche but for non-runners, the best time to aim for is just any time so long as you complete it. Get your foot in the door. Set a time for yourself so you can beat it the next time you go running.

I just started running after having *never* ran in my life. On my first day I ran/walked 5k in 40:00 minutes and I was excited just because I did a 5k. 2 days later, I managed to finish in 37 minutes. 2 days after that, I managed to finish in 35 minutes. All of these were *great* times for me, as I was improving!

This is despite them being absolutely dreadful times for most people - there are runners who can easily do a 10k run in the time it took me to do my first 5k.

After establishing my first couple of times, I set up some random goals for myself. First I wanted to be able to run 5k without walking at any point. Then I wanted to complete a 5k in under 31 minutes (~10min/mile pace). Then I wanted to complete a 5k in under 30 minutes. Then I wanted to complete a 10k in under 60 minutes. Now my current goal is to run a 10k without walking at any point (current high score is just over 8k without walking, I'll be looking to break that soon!).

Once that's accomplished, I'll find another random goal for myself. The trick is continually building and improving without pushing yourself too hard or too fast.

Best of luck!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about a time or a distance, just complete it. Do a 5k when you're done with the program. There is no shame in having to walk a little bit of it. At least you're getting out there and doing something. My first 5k was 49 minutes and to be honest, I walked a lot more than I should have but I was waiting for my sister (who didn't train at all). I was just happy to have completed it (especially after all the beer I drank lol).
  • AdamJagger144
    Options
    Hi, my name is Adam and I'm 26 years old..... I ran my first 5km today on a running machine at the gym and clocked in at 28 minutes. I'm super happy about that. I would also say under 30 minutes is a good time to beat, but it doesn't matter what time you get. Don't beat yourself up if you get a time that's more than 30 minutes. The fact you finished it is an achievement. I can't wait to get back on the running machine and test myself again. Also don't push yourself too hard, because you might cause injury. Try be quick, but don't over do it.
  • meganbfrogs
    meganbfrogs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old old post, but ij ust did my first 5k in 46min at 268lbs.... im very proud of myself :) my time will only get better from here on... :) i couldnt imagine doing one last summer at 348lbs!
  • kbl6318
    kbl6318 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ran my first 5K today - just over 37 minutes - it was Week 7 Day 3 in C25K for me.

My goal was to run the whole way, and I did!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    haha.. I did a 5k the first time I ran..

Well.. I didn't run.. i walked... ok.. I crawled most of it..

it took me FOREVER.

BUT

I did it!

and that made me realize that I can do anything! I've done dozens since then.. a mere 6 months ago :) And before that I didn't run.

You can do it!
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am training right now for my first 5k, in 3 months. I am around 45 minutes... I guess the extra weight is slowing me down and it will get better by losing????
  • 2furrycats
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great inspiration...I want to try this!
  • louisekerry86
    Options
    I did a 5k back in March, and it was my first one with no previous running experience. I walked a fair bit of it and finished in about 50 minutes. I'm actually starting to take it more seriously now and stick with running regularly. I'm hoping to do another 5k in September. :)
  • Momakanga
    Momakanga Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just participated in my 2nd 5K this weekend. I walked most of both of them with my kids. Our first time was about 46 mins. and the second was about 40min.

We think we are awesome! We dropped 6 minutes in our short 5K career! No one else's times matter to us :)

I have never been a runner. My whole life I have been opposed to running. I am finding that the 5K is a gateway race. If I am not careful it may cause me to jog when no one is chasing me :noway:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!