Runners - breaking up long runs into two runs?

2»

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member

FWIW, I always suggest first timers use Higdon's Intermediate I for their training.

It probably depends on where you were before you decided to run a marathon and where you want to go.

Although I know you're not really supposed to do this, I know too many first timers who have no running experience to personally think this is a good idea. 5 days a week would have hurt me my first time. I could barely get in the 4 runs, at first. It seemed overwhelming. And if you take a look at the number of runners in my training group that get all of the runs for the week in (group leader asks every week and emphasizes their importance and most people are running the novice program despite the number of marathon's they've done), most people were like me.

Again, perhaps irresponsible, but we have to work with reality.

I personally have 7 marathons and 3 ultras under my belt, and call me a wimp, I'm only comfortable with Intermediate 2. IMO, there is a reason they are calling it Intermediate.

I just like Higdon because it is free and easy to find. Last time I looked, the novice plan only had one 20 mile run (which I think is too few).

Pftiz has good plans, but you really have to "know yourself as a runner" to get anything out of them. If you don't have a 5K pace, a half marathon pace and a marathon pace (which many beginners do not) it is a waste.
  • I'm with the others who stated one long run a week is plenty, but I'm a person who has found that rest days can be just as important as long runs in getting to my goals. You can certainly split up the mileage into two runs a day. The purpose of the long runs is to condition your body for endurance. Also, it helps to know how you feel at mile 16, 18, 20, etc.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member

I just like Higdon because it is free and easy to find. Last time I looked, the novice plan only had one 20 mile run (which I think is too few).

Pftiz has good plans, but you really have to "know yourself as a runner" to get anything out of them. If you don't have a 5K pace, a half marathon pace and a marathon pace (which many beginners do not) it is a waste.

I love Higdon too. So much of this is a matter of personal preference though. As a paceleader for our program, I see ALOT of runners year after year. Although I haven't polled every single one of them, most of them are glad once that 20 miler is over and they wouldn't dream of doing another one before the marathon. There is a mounting nervousness week after week as the mileage increases. "Can I really do this?!" It's often overwhelming to a beginner.

To anyone seeking a more strenuous program, sure... but I'd have to say the novice is often stenuous enough to the untrained eye and body. I decided to do Intermediate 2 because I wanted to do the extra 20 milers. I'm also looking for maximum performance and improvement. We've tracked it, over 99% of the people who start our program and get to the start line complete the marathon and most are doing 1 20 miler. It can be a preference, but it's unnecessary. And unnecessary mileage for a beginner is not always the best thing.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member

I love Higdon too. So much of this is a matter of personal preference though. As a paceleader for our program, I see ALOT of runners year after year. Although I haven't polled every single one of them, most of them are glad once that 20 miler is over and they wouldn't dream of doing another one before the marathon. There is a mounting nervousness week after week as the mileage increases. "Can I really do this?!" It's often overwhelming to a beginner.

To anyone seeking a more strenuous program, sure... but I'd have to say the novice is often stenuous enough to the untrained eye and body. I decided to do Intermediate 2 because I wanted to do the extra 20 milers. I'm also looking for maximum performance and improvement. We've tracked it, over 99% of the people who start our program and get to the start line complete the marathon and most are doing 1 20 miler. It can be a preference, but it's unnecessary. And unnecessary mileage for a beginner is not always the best thing.

I think the other question is whether the runners are trying to survive 26.2 or hit their first one within a certain time goal.

The marathon is a tricky distance to race properly. I took me about 10 of them to finally get it all sorted out. A friend of mine once described marathoning as dull excitement. It really takes patience, discipline and training to go out at and stay at the proper pace (for you). Once you learn how to run even splits, it is a whole new ball game.

As far as 20 miler training runs, I really enjoy them - go figure...
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    I love them too!