Help! What do I do with corn tortillas

Options
13»

Replies

• opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    These are awesome ideas guys!

Had this large packet of corn tortillas and was confused on what to do with them but now I want to make everything listed here.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Tacos, Quesadillas, Chips, Taquitos, huevos rancheros,
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    cut in strips
    toss with a little olive oil
    salt to taste
    bake on cookie sheet until lightly browned

Add to tortilla soup
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Make flautas!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Flautas/Detail.aspx

SO good. And so easy to modify to meet your dietary needs.
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just bought some corn tortillas and was wondering what to do with them as well. Thanks for all the great ideas and recipes everyone! :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on HGT recipe site... got some really tasty/healthy ideas.:tongue:
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Migas!! Crisp cut up strips with non-stick spray...and scarmbled eggs.

Or a healthy version of flautas. Heat them up in the microwave to soften them, then pour a little olive oil....stuff them with chicken breast and bake in the oven until they are crispy on the outside. You can use salsa to dip them in....or whatever you like.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Pizzas
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

Ten Uses for Tortillas #1: Cheeseburgers

One of my favorite uses for tortillas is cheeseburgers. I crumble ground beef into a pan and fry it until the beef is done. I then warm tortillas in the microwave and spread them with mayonnaise and place on some shredded cheddar cheese. I then pour on the hamburger and top with lettuce and tomato. Roll into a wrap and enjoy.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #2: Taco Salads

Using two big metal ladles, you can use tortillas to make bowls. Simply place them in between the two ladles, creating a bowl shape and hold the tortilla under the oil until it browns. Remove the it from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain. Then use it for taco salad by layering in lettuce, tomato, cheese, seasoned meat, sour cream, and salsa.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #3: Mexican Dip Bowl

Another use for tortilla bowls is Mexican dip. Inside the bowl place meat, refried beans, cheese sauce, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, chopped tomatoes, and green onions. Serve with homemade corn chips.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #4: Healthy Corn Chips

Another great use for tortillas is to make healthy corn chips. All you need to do is cut corn tortillas into wedges and then dip them into a mixture of lime juice, chili power, and salt. Allow the them to dry and then bake them on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degree until slightly brown and crispy.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #5: Breakfast Burritos Tortillas can also be used to create breakfast burritos. Just fry up some sausage patties and scramble a few eggs. Place the two in a warmed tortilla along with shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, and jalapeno slices. Roll and serve.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #6: Mexican Lasagna

Everyone loves Italian lasagna, but why not use tortillas to make Mexican lasagna. Start with a ladle of enchilada sauce, then place a layer of tortillas in the pan, then a layer of shredded chicken, and then a layer of Monterey Jack cheese, and more enchilada sauce. Repeat the layers ending with more enchilada sauce and more cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese melts and serve immediately.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #7: Dessert Wrap

Another fun use is dessert wraps. Take warm tortillas and fill them with milk chocolate chips, toasted pecans, and marshmallows. Roll into a wrap and then roll in aluminum foil. Place the wrap in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes until the chocolate and marshmallows melt. Serve with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #8: Spicy Pinwheels

In a food processor mix buffalo sauce and cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts until smooth. One a warmed flour tortilla place a layer of ranch dressing and then a layer of the chicken mixture. Roll into cigars and then slice into pinwheels. This makes a great appetizer.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #9: Mexican Croutons

The next time you make a taco salad, take things one step further by making Mexican croutons. These are really easy to make. Simply cut tortillas into strips and fry until golden brown. Season the croutons and use immediately.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #10: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches A.K.A. Quesadillas Another one of my favorite ways to uses is to make quesadillas. All you have to do is place a tortilla in a skillet and then add your favorite ingredients to one side. Fold over and cook until brown, then flip, and cook until brown on the second side. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

Published by Amy Brantley - Featured Contributor in Lifestyle

A passionate writer who specializes in food-related content and has hopes of changing the way people think about cooking. Has published over a thousand pieces of food-related content.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/344524/ten_uses_for_tortillas_pg3.html?cat=22

:happy:
    Interesting...thanks!:flowerforyou:
    :drinker:
  • barbaraarussell7
    Options
    I love corn tortillas and sometimes just spread a bit of butter on them, warm them in the microwave, and eat them alone like that. A Mexican friend in CA years ago showed me how to make a nice little snack using the corn tortillas. First, take a corn tortilla and warm it in a skillet or griddle (I suppose you could microwave it, although I don't do that). Next, spread half the tortilla with hot sauce, chopped onions and cheese, fold over and flip. About three of these are as much as I can eat and they make a nice little mid-day snack.

I also use the corn tortillas to make chicken enchiladas.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Send them to me, as they are my favorite food EVAH.

How 'bout you make some enchiladas, or maybe some chilaquiles.
  • sweety58
    sweety58 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just googled what to do with corn tortillas. Lo and behold! There was a result from MFP! There are some terrific ideas on here and I just had lunch with a corn tortilla!!! I have a big package from Sam's Club and didn't know what I was going to do. Problem solved with this post. Thanks to you all!!!! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • sue_ham3
    sue_ham3 Posts: 10
    Options
    From southwest and other half is Mexican answering here...

Melt some lovely Kerry Gold grass-fed salted butter in a pan and soften and warm up your corn tortilla.
    Flip and add your favorite organic melting cheese (Monterrey Jack, Colby, Pepper Jack).
    Fold over and you've got a lovely quesadilla. Make it healthier by adding roasted veggies, cilantro, a salad, etc.

My favorite thing to do with old corn tortillas is CHILAQUILES.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I make my own corn chips.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Go back to the store and exchange them for Mission Whole Grain tortillas :)

terrible advice.

corn tortillas are the premier tortilla
  • gallen2O
    gallen2O Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i just ran across this while looking up recipes...let me add my two sense.
    i prefer corn torts over flour any day, not only because they're healthier, but i like the way they taste.

2 corn torts have 100 calories, while 2 flour probably averages about 200 something calories....

I use corn torts for EVERYYTHING, i mean everything. I cook egg whites, onions, mushrooms, spinach, and peppers plus whatever seasons i want to use (i like spicy so paprika, cayenne, little salt) and bam! wrap it in a corn tortilla = so yummy

Just the other day i made salmon taco's with corn tortillas

and the day before that i had pulled pork wrapped in corn tortillas...the possibilites are endless!
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I eat them.
  • LadyJM89
    LadyJM89 Posts: 7
    Options
    bump
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

Ten Uses for Tortillas #1: Cheeseburgers

One of my favorite uses for tortillas is cheeseburgers. I crumble ground beef into a pan and fry it until the beef is done. I then warm tortillas in the microwave and spread them with mayonnaise and place on some shredded cheddar cheese. I then pour on the hamburger and top with lettuce and tomato. Roll into a wrap and enjoy.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #2: Taco Salads

Using two big metal ladles, you can use tortillas to make bowls. Simply place them in between the two ladles, creating a bowl shape and hold the tortilla under the oil until it browns. Remove the it from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain. Then use it for taco salad by layering in lettuce, tomato, cheese, seasoned meat, sour cream, and salsa.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #3: Mexican Dip Bowl

Another use for tortilla bowls is Mexican dip. Inside the bowl place meat, refried beans, cheese sauce, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, chopped tomatoes, and green onions. Serve with homemade corn chips.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #4: Healthy Corn Chips

Another great use for tortillas is to make healthy corn chips. All you need to do is cut corn tortillas into wedges and then dip them into a mixture of lime juice, chili power, and salt. Allow the them to dry and then bake them on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degree until slightly brown and crispy.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #5: Breakfast Burritos Tortillas can also be used to create breakfast burritos. Just fry up some sausage patties and scramble a few eggs. Place the two in a warmed tortilla along with shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, and jalapeno slices. Roll and serve.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #6: Mexican Lasagna

Everyone loves Italian lasagna, but why not use tortillas to make Mexican lasagna. Start with a ladle of enchilada sauce, then place a layer of tortillas in the pan, then a layer of shredded chicken, and then a layer of Monterey Jack cheese, and more enchilada sauce. Repeat the layers ending with more enchilada sauce and more cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese melts and serve immediately.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #7: Dessert Wrap

Another fun use is dessert wraps. Take warm tortillas and fill them with milk chocolate chips, toasted pecans, and marshmallows. Roll into a wrap and then roll in aluminum foil. Place the wrap in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes until the chocolate and marshmallows melt. Serve with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #8: Spicy Pinwheels

In a food processor mix buffalo sauce and cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts until smooth. One a warmed flour tortilla place a layer of ranch dressing and then a layer of the chicken mixture. Roll into cigars and then slice into pinwheels. This makes a great appetizer.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #9: Mexican Croutons

The next time you make a taco salad, take things one step further by making Mexican croutons. These are really easy to make. Simply cut tortillas into strips and fry until golden brown. Season the croutons and use immediately.

Ten Uses for Tortillas #10: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches A.K.A. Quesadillas Another one of my favorite ways to uses is to make quesadillas. All you have to do is place a tortilla in a skillet and then add your favorite ingredients to one side. Fold over and cook until brown, then flip, and cook until brown on the second side. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

Published by Amy Brantley - Featured Contributor in Lifestyle

A passionate writer who specializes in food-related content and has hopes of changing the way people think about cooking. Has published over a thousand pieces of food-related content.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/344524/ten_uses_for_tortillas_pg3.html?cat=22

:happy:
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Oopsi.. I like to fill them with Fire grilled fahita Vegies,Beans,Salsa n Guac :flowerforyou: