Is eating your exercise calories B***S***?

Options
2»

Replies

• corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    1600 is a lot more then people on here eat. Most try to stick to 1200, then burn 500 which would drop your intake way to low!! For you it is not that big of deal, but for those on a more resticted diet it is unhealthy. It works for some and doesn't for others.

maybe for a girl but not for a guy
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Personally I find that if I don't try to eat most of my exercise calories back, I end up binging after a couple of days. Its like my body is telling me I'm not eating enough and will take massive amounts of food any way it can get it.

My example: My basic calorie intake is supposed to be about 1300 in order to lose 1/2 lb per week. Today, I exercised about 1300 calories worth. So if I only eat 1300 calories and I burn 1300 calories, my net calories is 0. That means I've left no other calories for my body to use just for day to day functioning. Even if I sat on the couch and did nothing the rest of the day, I have no fuel. Of course I'm going to be lethargic, cranky, and craving sugar because I need the quick boost of energy. I eat constantly throughout the day in order to eat enough.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Here's some "anecdata" in support of eating exercise calories back. Both situations below involve the same types of exercise, the same types of foods and balance of nutrients, and the same body!

In 2008, I went from 155 lb to 150 lb while exercising 5-6 days a week...in 6 months (less than a pound a month). I was eating 1200-1400 calories a day, leaving me at a ~800-1000 exercise calories deficit a day.

Now, I've just gone from 155 lb to 150 lb while exercising 5-6 days a week, and it took me less than 4 weeks. I've been eating anywhere from 1500 to 2000(!) calories a day to eat back most of my exercise calories. My body is toning way faster this time around, and I have way more energy & feel more satisfied and best of all, my immune system isn't run down. I generally have ~200-300 exercise calories left over at the end of the day max (so, a ~700-800 deficit overall), a far cry from the ~800-1000 exercise calories last time.

For me, it appears that eating back some of my exercise calories is a must. It will vary from person to person -- some metabolisms are more stubborn than others. It also depends on how much exercise you're logging. So, take this anecdote with a grain of salt!

^^ THIS! Same thing for me. (different numbers but the premise is the same). Without fuel, I wasn't losing weight. Now that I'm eating anywhere from 1400 - 2000 per day (on my run days), I'm losing weight more rapidly.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Friendly warning........

Come on guys, lets remember we were all new at this game once.

A genuine question was asked, no need for sarcasm. Yes, it gets asked a lot but if they are new to this they don't know that and many do not notice the search button straight away...new shiny toy and all that.

Lets keep it friendly huh...we're all in this for the same thing aren't we?

CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just because I'm having one of "those" days, but I am SO SICK of this topic.
    You're not alone. I think the Mods should pin their post on this so that people stop reposting this question over & over again.

Your both are still relatively new. Gotta get some tough skin.
    This question gets asked so many times.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

Are you talking about the free beer on Fridays?
  • outwiththeoldinwiththenew
    Options
    Got to do it. Iam rather new to MFP and I have a lot to lose. I always try to eat some of my exercise calories and then when I don't eat them all it helps me because some days I go over. I have lost 7# in 4 weeks and I am never hungry or deprived. I track everything. Obviously eating the exercise calories makes sense because otherwise I would be starving and binging all the time. Just do it!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    maybe you can try it out one week and see how you feel..

I may not always eat my excercise calories right away, but eventually always net what i'm supposed to.
    my body tells me when i'm hungry or thirsty so i try to listen.
  • auntbyte
    auntbyte Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Or a girl who has a lot to lose. I understand that as I lose weight, my total daily intake of calories goes down, as well. MFP has me @ 1600/day now, but I try to stay around 1350-1400. So far, 9 lbs in 3 wks, so SOMETHING is working! I'm elated (and haven't really started a workout program yet). I hate, but understand the obligation to track calories; it keeps me honest with myself.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    On another note, I think people just think of things like protein for things like muscle growth, but protein serves a lot of functions in the body. Bodily proteins are the muscle growers and enhancers, however they are responsible for things like your nail, hair growth, new layers of skin when the dead cells fall off, keeping your immune system functioning, seriously in generating any new cell for your body... which is happening on an unbelievable scale within your body. Those proteins in your diet, without exercise are used to provide those basic functions. You add exercise in there, your body is then repairing itself on an EPIC scale. It will need more things like protein when you exercise more.

And all of your nutrients are like this, I'm just explaining this one macronutrient to explain simply, why you should have more.

And if I've viewed it correctly, when it adds my exercise calories back in, I think it adjusts the amount of carbs, protein and fat I need per the ratios I have alotted myself.

And this is really what you're robbing your body of when you are not eating your exercise calories.

Do whatever you feel like to help you lose weight, but physiology and science are what they are.
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Friendly warning........

Come on guys, lets remember we were all new at this game once.

A genuine question was asked, no need for sarcasm. Yes, it gets asked a lot but if they are new to this they don't know that and many do not notice the search button straight away...new shiny toy and all that.

CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator

Well said.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    This is why I just set my own calorie goal in MFP. I don't even remember what number they gave me. Plus, it's hard to know how many calories you're really burning when you exercise anyway, especially when it comes to things like weight lifting. If you're dropping 1-2 pounds a week (not water weight) then you're doing it right.