Funny people at the gym.....

Options
JDMPWR
JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
I know most everyone that goes to the gym sees one or two people that are just a lil off to you. I felt that we should share our experiences with each other.

Here are my two:

1. Older lady in her late 40's early 50's that stands in front of the mirror and does this dance/step/jazzerize looking dance with a padded bar behind her head and she pumps her calves up and down while she stands there pressing this 10lb bar up and down. It looks like she is trying to do some sexy dance and by how easy she moved the bar you can tell the whole exercise is doing nothing, plus I have seen her doe this for over a year with no routine change at all....

2. Everyone know what a neoprene sweat belt is? People thinks it helps spot reduce water or fat, well as we all know it really doesn't. Second if you are to use it you would think you would wear it under your shirt, but this one girl wears one OVER her T-shirt and act's like it's a weight belt sometimes, she proceeds to do about 15 minutes of cardio and then leaves, I see her occasionally once a month. Everyone looks at her like she is crazy.

Please share the Gym buddies.....

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Two days ago, some guy was on the treadmill next to me belting out love songs.

That was pretty funny!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    There was this guy in my CrossFit class that would show up and not workout with the class. Just sort of do his own thing. Why, since the class is an extra fee?
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    hahahaha.... I have a few....

1) - who I havent seen for AGES but I miss dearly... microphone beehive man-lady... this dude who is manly to the max comes in all in spandex shorts and vest... he has a belly like father christmas and massive calves, BUT he has an amazing blonde beehive do like something out of Diana Ross and the Supremes.... I think he is mid-gender change, everything on him screams man except the hair. He does all the machines but in a very vigirious fashion, his hair bobs in a very amusing fashion;

2) - the FARTER... I have nicnamed him thus as he farts while he runs. He also have a very sweaty crotch and runs like a bloody gazelle... he's the kinda guy thats super skinny and looks like he has snakes for veins!... he smells! My boyfriend and I named him the farter so now when I see him I have to supress a smile!
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Dude lifts heavy weights, wears ipod, screams out random lyrics (usually the most sexually explative ones) loudly . . .it startles me
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy yesterday wearing a long sleeve shirt, and a sweatshirt over his head as he was walking on the treadmill.Its not like it was cold out, it was 90!!! I dont know about everyone else but I sweat too much to be wearing a winter outfit at the gym.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    There are also the people that get on the treadmill, set the incline way high and then hold on to the monitor throughout their workout.

Or those who set the speed up ungodly fast, run on it for a few seconds, grab the arm bars, jump up and hold themselves up, land their feet on the sides of the machine while the machine is still going on at the ungodly pace, rest for a long time, and then jump back on.... over and over. You want a HIIT workout, there are better ways. :P
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Saw a big fat guy, but lots of muscles, wearing a clear plastic bag over his entire body as a shirt. It was taped to his waist and his arms, and the bottom inch or so was full of sweat. It was nasty.... plus its highly ineffective!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Hoping I'm not included in this post...
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

That was pretty funny!

I can't stand it when people at the gym sing out loud, although it is pretty hilarious sometimes. Do they really forget that we can all hear them, or do they just not care that they're annoying the crap out of everyone else?
  • CherryteaMT
    Options
    i have one during my Zumba class who just can't seem to turn her body the way everyone else is..she will be the only one in the class who dances a circle to the left when every.single.other.person is dancing in their circle to the right...
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Any/all body building ladies.

Just can't get comfortable getting my bench press on when the woman next to me is pressing far more than I could ever dream of :/
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

That was pretty funny!

LMAO!!!! Awesome. I love the person who puts the treadmill to like 100, but grabs on to the bar while running. They look like they're strapped to a truck and can't let go.
  • whitbran
    whitbran Posts: 45
    Options
    A lady at the Curves I go to grunts and does the four count the whole time she's doing the circuit.

Goes a little like this:

*grunt* 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 *grunt* 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 *grunt*...

Sad thing is, she's loud (easily heard over the music) and she is not even counting to the beat of the music or with her body movements.

One of these days she's going to get to 5, I have faith in her.

• JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Normally I dont seen to care when i am at the gym but yesterday I was at the gym and the new manager came to say "hello" which I would of been more then fine with if it wasn't midst me trying to do my set.

Anyone else get bothered by this scenario? I was on the elliptical, machines empty too my left and to my right, all of a sudden I look over and someone is right next to mine. I mean really? You have a choice of 10 other machines but you choose to be right next to me? Now I can't fart because you will instantly smell it.....COME ON PEOPLE
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    There's a guy in one of my body pumping classes who grunts like a female tennis player with every-single-rep . . . there are a lot of reps in a body pump class.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Had an older guy next to me this morning. He burped so loud! Just because you have earplugs in and your music is drowning out the loudness of your burp doesn't mean everyone else can't hear it! He didn't even try to cover it up!
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    Plastic Man - He wears what looks like to be a shiny raincoat and pants under his gym shorts and shirt. Not a small guy, but I see him there all the time, and it doesn't look like he's losing a thing.

The Mayor - Likes one particular treadmill right at the edge of the gym. It's the place to see and be seen. Will actually stop mid exercise if he cant get on his machine when it becomes available.

Mr. Joe Cool - Works out in jeans, tight t-shirt and sunglasses. Sometimes with or without iPod. Super buff guy, looks like a truck, I suspect he does his actual work outs in another gym and just comes in to impress the ladies.
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    And we wonder why some people are intimidated and feel nervous about going to the gym.

Oh, btw OP - 40-50 may be older than you, but it certainly isn't old. Come do my workout with me and I think you might reconsider what you think is "old"
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Or those who set the speed up ungodly fast, run on it for a few seconds, grab the arm bars, jump up and hold themselves up, land their feet on the sides of the machine while the machine is still going on at the ungodly pace, rest for a long time, and then jump back on.... over and over. You want a HIIT workout, there are better ways. :P

haha im that person!! i only ever do it for a few seconds tho and i move my legs a little while holding myself up
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options

2. Everyone know what a neoprene sweat belt is? People thinks it helps spot reduce water or fat, well as we all know it really doesn't. Second if you are to use it you would think you would wear it under your shirt, but this one girl wears one OVER her T-shirt and act's like it's a weight belt sometimes, she proceeds to do about 15 minutes of cardio and then leaves, I see her occasionally once a month. Everyone looks at her like she is crazy.

I hope no one said this about me. I was required by my Physician to wear a neoprene support belt around my low back/hips for 4 weeks while at the gym after a lower back injury just to be able to do a modified version of a workout ... or else I had to do absolutely nothing for 4 weeks. I also had to wear it to walk on the treadmill ... back injuries are nothing to mess with and b/c I had to have it so tight to get the right amount of support to my inner low back, it was painful to walk any longer than about 20 minutes. This makes me wonder if people were making fun of me.