Do you still workout even when you don't want to?

Options
13»

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I promise myself that I will do 20 minutes. 99 times out of 100, once I'm 20 minutes in I do not want to stop! But if I still am not into it after 20 minutes, I pack it in for the day. ;)

What I've found is that actually starting the workout is usually the hardest part. And once you've been going for 20 minutes, you're warmed up and not so creaky (if you're young, maybe you aren't creaky at all, but a lot of us are!) so you're actually enjoying the workout by then.
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. Even if I can't give it my all (though I try to), I always feel better knowing I got my workout done.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I usually don't force myself. The main reason is that most of the time I want to work out. I like working out. I think this is because I choose exercises that I truly enjoy. If I didn't, I might have to force myself. So, on days I don't feel like working out, I take a break knowing that I will feel it again very soon. My suggestion: Find exercises that you enjoy; then, you won't have this problem anymore.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am doing a workout that i enjoy- Turbo Jam. Today I feel so depleted. My mind is telling me to workout but my body is saying the opposite. Tomorrow I will give it my all and do extra minutes to make up for today. Hopefully I'll get a good night sleep so I'm ready to tackle tomorrow's workout with even more intensity.
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    There are days that I push myself to get to the gym or do a workout at home. Mostly because I am just
    being lazy and don't want to go.
    There are also days that I have to listen to my body. Sometimes it tells me I need a
    break. When I listen. I get a much better workout the next day.
    Only you know how you feel.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do - there are mornings I dread getting up and would rather sleep in but I still do it :)
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    The answer is yes. Go to the gym even if you don't want too. I don't want too right now but I'm about to force myself to get into my gym clothes and go. Once you're done with the work out you'll be happy you went anyways. As for your friend who can eat and eat and not gain a pound that doesn't mean anything. She is still clogging her arteries with fat and whatever else from all of that horrible junk she eats so while she may be skinny she is not healthy.
    Awesome answer!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I know I should never compare myself to anyone, but it's hard when I'm surrounded by family members and friends who are skinny and eat whatever they want . I'm the only one who workout at home and keep a healthy diet. Sometimes it hard to stay motivated when I see them eating food that I know may not be good for me. I try not to deprive myself of chocolate or sweets (they're my biggest downfall) but I know I can't go back to my old eating habit of getting two-three extra servings.

Don't deprive yourself of any food. If you want the food, eat it in moderation and portion control.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yep. Sometimes those are my most successful workouts. Right now I'm doing P90 so I've committed to working out 6 days a week and I just don't give myself an option to take a night off. If I have to due to unforseen circumstances I just switch my rest day.
  • airyale15
    airyale15 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I felt like this last night and now currently only have Friday, Saturday and Sunday to get in my last three workouts.
    I'm definitely gonna do one tonight and one tomorrow morning, i guess its all about sundays then !

I also usually find that getting started is the hardest thing for me, i mean just the thought of having to do the workout while i'm not feeling very motivated is hard.

But yeah, most times after 10-15 minutes after beginning it is easy to get through to the end.
  • DeanDowney
    DeanDowney Posts: 22
    Options
    you'll never regret a workout, but you will probably regret not working out...

My thoughts exactly. It's easy for those "lazy days" to build up and before you know it you're back to square 1. Keep at it...you're worth it. :-)
  • MightyMae1
    MightyMae1 Posts: 208
    Options
    Well I tried doing my short toning workout, but could only muster 10 minutes. I already took two rest days, but since I didn't get much sleep last night I'm lacking the energy to do my workout.

Hope you got some sleep and are back on track today!

When the going gets tough for me I just picture Jillian Michaels screaming, "MOVE! STOP SAYING YOU CAN'T BECAUSE YOU CAN! NOW GO!!!!"
  • cieraangel
    cieraangel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    With a sister who is 5'2 and 105 (even after eating like a garbage truck some days) I feel your pain. Unfortunately, so what? You're you. No matter how much we wish our bodies worked like someone else we've got to deal with what we have. That means, suck it up and exercise even when you don't want to. You'll feel so much better after you do, and if you don't you may end up beating yourself up, and skipping MORE days.
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Yes, thats the difference between success and failure! Success in anything takes sacrifice and hard work!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I work out after I get home from work (I also walk during my breaks/lunch @ work) but when I get home regardless of how I feel I put on my workout gear and at least go for a walk or warm up on the elliptical. Most times I'll feel better as soon as 10 min into my workout!
  • Nomarfan
    Nomarfan Posts: 36
    Options
    I am feeling your pain too. I dont want to go today, but I find that if I log it into my daily diary that will hold me accountable and force myself to do. I'm not feeling too great today so I only logged in 1 hour instead of the 1 1/2 or 2 that I would have done normally. If I get there and feel better, I can always stay! Good luck to you though!
  • DeanDowney
    DeanDowney Posts: 22
    Options
    Lately I seem to find the first 10 minutes the hardest, once I'm through that it's not so bad. I feel guilty if I don't exercise.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    YES I PUSH MYSELF TO WORKOUT.

because your not going to get results sitting on the couch.
  • connamiragna
    Options
    I never work out, even when I do want to. lol
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Some days I get tired to the point of feeling unwell. Not just that I want a lazy day, but that I have a hard time going up stairs and staying awake while driving. On those days, I rest even if I had a workout planned. I just make it up later in the week. I really enjoy working out so I don't have to push myself too much, although yesterday I was REALLY dragging in the gym and just plain unhappy to be conscious.