Are carbs really important?

Options

Replies

• wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Carbs are essential.

There is no actual physiological requirement for dietary carbohydrates. From the standpoint of survival, the minimum amount of carbohydrates that are required in a diet is zero grams per day. The body can make what little it needs from other sources.

LOL this is the biggest piece of misinformation i've ever read. Carbs scientifically and physically are are primary fuel source of existance. The human body doesn't make carbs *laughs
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    Carbs are essential.

There is no actual physiological requirement for dietary carbohydrates. From the standpoint of survival, the minimum amount of carbohydrates that are required in a diet is zero grams per day. The body can make what little it needs from other sources.

LOL this is the biggest piece of misinformation i've ever read. Carbs scientifically and physically are are primary fuel source of existance. The human body doesn't make carbs *laughs

Actually you are wrong, here is some reading you may find insightful.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html

Here is an excerpt:

"Despite oft-heard claims to the contrary, there is no actual physiological requirement for dietary carbohydrate. Even the RDA handbook acknowledges this, right before recommending that a prudent diet should contain a lot of carbohydrates."
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I meant 'important' as in 'if I eat too much of them, are they going to kill me' that's also why I asked to take a look at my diary to see if I was eating too many.
    I'm just a bit confused because so many people are going 'don't eat over a certain amount' and 'carbs are bad!' so I wanted to see if my habit was bad, because as far as I could tell I was fine.

ALSO.
    Read what I posted;
    'I ask, is my carb intake way too high? Is it really important for me to track my carbs?'
    FWIW I think that a daily "goal" of over 250 g of carbohydrate is on the high side. Especially if the majority comes from refined sources.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    In reality, you're both right, or wrong, depending on the semantics you choose to employ.

It's absolutely true that the human body, under normal conditions, prefers glucose generated from carbohydrates as it's primary fuel source. BUT all three macro-nutrient types can be converted to energy, and as such, you don't specifically require carbohydrates for fuel. That being said, for most people, that's a drastic change, and not something you should do on a whim as it has serious (see "life altering") consequences. Also, you can't eat just protein either as there's something called protein poisoning (aka rabbit starvation) happens when you eat upwards of 250 grams of protein in a day for multiple days. The liver can only process so much protein before it can no longer process any more, also the kidneys can only make so much urea from that excess nitrogen (a by product of protein break down), which means excess ammonia in the blood.

So before you decide you want an all protein diet, think about that concept. Fat does not come with this kind of problem by the way, although there are also possible side effects from long term high saturated fat consumption.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I shoot for a ratio of 1:1:2 of grams of carbs to fat to protein. A good day for me now is 75 grams of carbs, 75 grams of fats and 150 grams of protein. We all have different body chemistry, so the same thing won't work for everyone. I follow this ratio because I feel weak if I don't have at least 75 carbs, but anything more doesnt stay with me like protein and fat. I can stay on a 1500-1600 calories per day diet as long as it is low on carbs. If I try to hit that number and eat a lot of carbs, I stay very hungry and am likely to fail.

In those 75 grams, I try to 100% avoid white carbs. I like to get mine from things like spinach, beans and pistacio nuts.

to all intents and purposes, that is low carb. your intake is about a third of that of the OP.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Some people find that they lose weight easier if they restrict carbs. I don't think it's necessary for most people, but I don't think that there's anything wrong with doing it either. I'm like you though, I need my carbs. I actually get really grouchy when I really limit my carbs, and I don't need to do so to lose weight regularly, so I don't eat low carb. I wouldn't even worry about it, as long as you're getting enough protein.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Some people find that they lose weight easier if they restrict carbs. I don't think it's necessary for most people, but I don't think that there's anything wrong with doing it either. I'm like you though, I need my carbs. I actually get really grouchy when I really limit my carbs, and I don't need to do so to lose weight regularly, so I don't eat low carb. I wouldn't even worry about it, as long as you're getting enough protein.

I get headaches on a nearly ketogenic diet. I find that moderate carb works for me, and I personally define that as between 125-150 grams per day. (other people have different definitions). We just have to personally find what works for us and run with it.

I get insanely tired of reading posts by people who think carbs are bad. I mean, you might not like to eat them, but don't you dare try to tell me or anyone else that you won't lose weight and be healthy unless you restrict them. It's all personal choice, and as long as you are eating at a CALORIE (not carb) deficit and adding in some exercise, you can and will reach your weight loss goals.

edit to say that I was not attacking the person that I quoted with the use of the word "you" but rather meant to direct that at anyone on their high horse about cutting out a ton of carbs... :flowerforyou:
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    I am a firm believer that it isnt the kind of food you eat; it's the total calories. If I eat nothing but chocolate-covered bacon and keep my total calories intake under 1,500, I will lose more weight than if I ate 2,000 calories of protein shakes and salads.

The reason the low carb diet works for me and others is because a diet high in fat and protein is easy to keep. People on low carb diets who lose weight do so because their overall intake of calories goes down.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Carbs are essential.

Actually you are wrong, here is some reading you may find insightful.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html

Here is an excerpt:

"Despite oft-heard claims to the contrary, there is no actual physiological requirement for dietary carbohydrate. Even the RDA handbook acknowledges this, right before recommending that a prudent diet should contain a lot of carbohydrates."

There is alot of information/misinformation on the web about biology but my guess is less then half is actually fact based or even remotely true. Try living on a 100% protein based diet and see how long you live or a 100% fat for that matter. Nutrition isn't rocket science and its surely not above common sense in which your web based reference surely is. The failure of the low/no carb diet and the physiological damage it causes long term is well referenced. The general consensus for adequate salt intake is 2 grams a day or less while many websites say 6 grams a day is whats required:D I almost believe the latter to be true.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I think that the physiological damage that the SAD diet causes is very well referenced as well.
    Just take a look around you.
    There's evidence everywhere.

To the OP ... I would take a look and see if you can increase your produce consumption and up your protein a bit.
    I think the formula is .7 g protein per pound of lean body mass.

Carbs. Low Carbs. To each their own. It just ruffles too many feathers on here.
    Find what works for you and stick with that.
    When/if it stops working, tweak your diet until you again find what works.

Good Luck with your weight loss.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's all down to definition.

I found I kick-started my weight loss by halving the carbs I would normally eat, and now try to keep around 100g a day. Some would call that low-carb, but it's certainly nowhere near the Atkins level.

I dont think its wise to completely cut out one food group, but it is worth experimenting with what works for your body - we're all different and what works for Fred wont get the same results for Mary.

I am conscious of trying to make any carbs that I do eat good quality - veggies, natch, if its pasta, then wholewheat, if bread, then it has to be wholemeal or seedy or some other added goodness.
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    I dont think its wise to completely cut out one food group, but it is worth experimenting with what works for your body - we're all different and what works for Fred wont get the same results for Mary.

Well she already cut one food group, why not 2! :laugh:
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options

I get insanely tired of reading posts by people who think carbs are bad. I mean, you might not like to eat them, but don't you dare try to tell me or anyone else that you won't lose weight and be healthy unless you restrict them. It's all personal choice, and as long as you are eating at a CALORIE (not carb) deficit and adding in some exercise, you can and will reach your weight loss goals.

edit to say that I was not attacking the person that I quoted with the use of the word "you" but rather meant to direct that at anyone on their high horse about cutting out a ton of carbs... :flowerforyou:

Calm down. Nobody in this thread is telling you to do anything. In fact, the consensus leans strongly towards "eat whatever but you don't NEED carbs. "
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    [quote

Low carb zealots like to make carbs an all or nothing issue, but as with most things, the issue is a bit more complicated and the ideal level is usually somewhere in-between whatever extremes people like to fight over.
    [/quote)

I don't consider myself a carb zealot. I am choosing to limit unhealthy carbage to reach a weight loss goal and to arrive fit. My beef is with those who claim if I don't eat all my carbs, I am going to have heart disease, kidney failure, brain damage...(insert your favorite ailment). That claim is just not true. People can and do live healthy lives apart from eating carbs. I personally chose low carb because I hate fruits and salads. I don't eat them, never have never will. I needed to find an eating plan that I could live with and enjoyed so that it was sustainable. I have tried almost all the plans out there. This is the only one I love. It am losing weight consistently, I am full, I am happy. My doctor approves.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Carbs are essential.

No the body doesn't make carbs.

What it DOES do is turn carbs into glucose. However.......the body CAN also convert protein and fat into glucose, albeit at a lower percentage.

People need this glucose to fuel their bodies. However, carbs are NOT the only source, it is very possible to make do with low levels of carbs. There is a very large body of people who subscribe to the ideas of Dr. Bernstein in terms of eating a low-carb diet. He prescribes eating 30g a day. I personally know people who've done this for years, with no ill effects. In fact, they're HEALTHIER than they used to be.

....I think the carb vs. low carb debate is never going to be settled. We all have to agree to disagree :)
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't the devil, but some are better than others. Getting some carbs from fruits and vegetables are great, getting them from over processed foods..not so much.

Im on the low carb train, but I also feel that everyone needs to try different things until they learn what works for them and what makes them feel best. So, try eating less carbs and see if you feel better in any way i.e. sleep better, have more energy, etc....and vise versa. At the end of the day, it's what works best for you!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    [quote

Low carb zealots like to make carbs an all or nothing issue, but as with most things, the issue is a bit more complicated and the ideal level is usually somewhere in-between whatever extremes people like to fight over.
    [/quote)

I don't consider myself a carb zealot. I am choosing to limit unhealthy carbage to reach a weight loss goal and to arrive fit. My beef is with those who claim if I don't eat all my carbs, I am going to have heart disease, kidney failure, brain damage...(insert your favorite ailment). That claim is just not true. People can and do live healthy lives apart from eating carbs. I personally chose low carb because I hate fruits and salads. I don't eat them, never have never will. I needed to find an eating plan that I could live with and enjoyed so that it was sustainable. I have tried almost all the plans out there. This is the only one I love. It am losing weight consistently, I am full, I am happy. My doctor approves.

La Jauna,

Please don't take this post as being motivated by any carb or anti-carb partisanship, but if you are eating a high protein/high fat/low carb diet and NOT eating any fruits and salads, I would monitor your lipid profile with a lot of vigilance. If you've read the majority of my posts, you will understand that I full appreciate the body-recompositional effects of a carb-restricted, high-protein diet...but this type of diet should most definitely be accompanied by an abundant amount of cruciferous veggies and at least some fruit.

Please keep in mind that any diet that results in weight loss generally enhances health markers. So I'm sure your blood test results are showing significant improvement as you are shedding unwanted body-fat. However, once you reach your ideal body-weight and continue to eat high protein/fat, low carb including fruits and veggies, I would pay very close attention to your lipid (cholesterol, triglyceride) levels. There have been numerous studies that have shown that in the absence of weight loss ketogenic diets or diets that exclude all carbs including fruits and veggies may be detrimental to blood lipids levels.

So it's not that I think that forgowing all your carbs will lead to the deterioration of your health...but the forgoing of all fruits and veggies, in the long-term, will certainly increase those chances.

Again, not trying to further the carb debate... I'm sure that even the most hard-core low-carbers and paleo folks will agree that eating veggies is pretty important.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    [quote

[/quote)

La Jauna,

Please don't take this post as being motivated by any carb or anti-carb partisanship, but if you are eating a high protein/high fat/low carb diet and NOT eating any fruits and salads, I would monitor your lipid profile with a lot of vigilance. If you've read the majority of my posts, you will understand that I full appreciate the body-recompositional effects of a carb-restricted, high-protein diet...but this type of diet should most definitely be accompanied by an abundant amount of cruciferous veggies and at least some fruit.

Please keep in mind that any diet that results in weight loss generally enhances health markers. So I'm sure your blood test results are showing significant improvement as you are shedding unwanted body-fat. However, once you reach your ideal body-weight and continue to eat high protein/fat, low carb including fruits and veggies, I would pay very close attention to your lipid (cholesterol, triglyceride) levels. There have been numerous studies that have shown that in the absence of weight loss ketogenic diets or diets that exclude all carbs including fruits and veggies may be detrimental to blood lipids levels.

So it's not that I think that forgowing all your carbs will lead to the deterioration of your health...but the forgoing of all fruits and veggies, in the long-term, will certainly increase those chances.

Again, not trying to further the carb debate... I'm sure that even the most hard-core low-carbers and paleo folks will agree that eating veggies is pretty important.

I don't eat fruits. I do eat loads of cruciferous veggies! I love veggies. I just don't like raw ones! If I can cook it, I'll eat it! My doctor is watching my blood panels carefully. I take a multivitamin every day plus extra C, Essential Oils, Calcium/Mag/zinc. I appreciate your concern.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Carbs are essential.

^
    This. Most strength coaches and trainers will tell you that whatever carbs you do eat need to be earned through exercise. The more active the more you can have, the less active the less you should have.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Carbs are essential.

^
    This. Most strength coaches and trainers will tell you that whatever carbs you do eat need to be earned through exercise. The more active the more you can have, the less active the less you should have.

And that's kind of the way I'll cycle them.

On heavy training days (StrongLifts5x5) I'll add a few more carbs (>50g's <100g's). On what I consider "non-training" days (3 days a week, 45-60 minute walks) the carbs are much lower (<50g's). These carbs ALWAYS come from vegetable or fruit sources, no processed stuff (grains, breads, pastas).

Personal choice for me and it's working exceptionally well. Getting pretty ripped at 223lbs with a 31" waist.