I am NOT Dieting...

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
I have found recently that a lot of people come up to me and ask me what diet I am on.

When I tell them I am not on a diet, they smirk. Suuuuurre.

I tell them I am eating a healthy balanced diet full of veggies and fruits and lean proteins.
Exercise 3 x a week and lift weights 3 x a week.
I lose 1 pound every 10 days.
And I log everything in MFP> Use this site for support.

Some of the comments people say:

Geez, only 1 pound in 10 days, I was on this diet where I lost a bizzilion lbs in 1 week!
Yeah, but what are you taking?????
Oh I cant eat veggies!
Oh I cant drink water all day!
Oh I cant go without my bread!
I cant exercise my (put in ailment) will act up!

I tell them:
The diet you were on worked so well you are now 50 instead of 30 pounds overweight.
I am not on any drugs
I hated veggies and fruits when I started, now I seek them out, crave them.
Maybe you will get cardio in when you go to the bathroom all day. You have no problem taking those 10 ciggie breaks.
I didnt give up anything. A peice of bread doesnt own me anymore.
I have a severe neck injury which effects my entire back. It is BETTER from losing weight and exercise

Ok then, stay the way you are! Why ask me if you have no intention of listening?
I then tell them about this site, write it down, and ask them to look around. There are fantastic ppl here who have lost 20-50-125 pounds....no drugs....eating their freakin veggies and exercising.

Have any of you encountered this type of behavior? Why cant they just stop at "You look AMAZING!!" LOL

00020182.gif

Replies

• arewethereyet
    Options
    I have found recently that a lot of people come up to me and ask me what diet I am on.

When I tell them I am not on a diet, they smirk. Suuuuurre.

I tell them I am eating a healthy balanced diet full of veggies and fruits and lean proteins.
    Exercise 3 x a week and lift weights 3 x a week.
    I lose 1 pound every 10 days.
    And I log everything in MFP> Use this site for support.

Some of the comments people say:

Geez, only 1 pound in 10 days, I was on this diet where I lost a bizzilion lbs in 1 week!
    Yeah, but what are you taking?????
    Oh I cant eat veggies!
    Oh I cant drink water all day!
    Oh I cant go without my bread!
    I cant exercise my (put in ailment) will act up!

I tell them:
    The diet you were on worked so well you are now 50 instead of 30 pounds overweight.
    I am not on any drugs
    I hated veggies and fruits when I started, now I seek them out, crave them.
    Maybe you will get cardio in when you go to the bathroom all day. You have no problem taking those 10 ciggie breaks.
    I didnt give up anything. A peice of bread doesnt own me anymore.
    I have a severe neck injury which effects my entire back. It is BETTER from losing weight and exercise

Ok then, stay the way you are! Why ask me if you have no intention of listening?
    I then tell them about this site, write it down, and ask them to look around. There are fantastic ppl here who have lost 20-50-125 pounds....no drugs....eating their freakin veggies and exercising.

Have any of you encountered this type of behavior? Why cant they just stop at "You look AMAZING!!" LOL

00020182.gif
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. My Mom says to me EVERY DAY "Quit starving yourself and eat!!!!!!!" I am not starving...I am eating...I'm eating H E A L T H Y! Why does everyone think if you lose weight you have to be starving?:grumble:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Everything you said was me before I started here - I didn't eat vegetables or fruit, fry it I'd eat it - give me the quick fix so I can hurry up and lose and then gain it all back again. If nothing else reading thru it reiterated to me that I am doing this the right way for the first time in my life! no drugs, nothing but me and my own will to be healthy!

Thank you for the post.
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    People don't seem to understand the difference betwen healthy living and diet do they! LOL
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    You got to love people.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    No my favorite is being called a "skinny *****" who can "eat whatever you want". Uh, yaaaaah. How about it pisses me off when youmake that comment as you see me piling salad and beans on my tray instead of a mounded plate of mashed potatoes, meatloaf swimming in gravy, and cobbler. That to me is as insulting as called some one fat. I work hard to look the way that I do...I make sacrifices. I'd like to eat the cobbler and mashed potatoes, too!! This used to come from a woman who'd scoff at me for wanting to take the stairs TWO FLIGHTS when she'd take the elevator. Then she'd whine about her weight.....:grumble:

So yes, we are living a lifestyle...not dieting!
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I went to visit a friend with my old college roommates this weekend, we all played basketball together so we used to run and lift and practice everyday. Now that we're older and settled into jobs, I continue to exercise and try to eat healthy, and I know they do on and off as well, but this weekend they kept giving me crap about not eating the cookies and bars they had brought for our road trip, and when I got up early before everyone else and worked out at my friends house, I got a bunch of grief for that too. I tried explaining the fact that this is what i do every day, and I'd feel crappy if I didn't. I just wish everyone would let us be healthy without having to make us feel guilty just because they don't feel the best about themselves!! I"m right there with you guys on this topic! :tongue:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    You got to love people.
    why's that!?:yawn:
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    YES I get that ALL THE TIME. "What diet are you on, I'd like to do it!"

I say I'm not on a diet, just eating healthy and exercising...... but they look at me like they don't believe me :ohwell:

I have told a MASSIVE amount of people about this site so they can see for themselves. I lost most of my weight before joining this site (I didnt know about it). But still it has helped me close in on goal. 9 lbs to go................................... but even then I wont be eating big macs 4x a week I'll continue to eat healthy and exercise. If I drop BELOW my "goal" of 164, fine, whatever. But I'm not "dieting" to get to a certain number then letting loose and eating like a cow lol!

It is DEFINITELY a life change.. not a quick fix!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    You got to love people.

Because most of them are dump enough to think that the only way anybody loses any weight is some fad diet, and not through hard work. And most seem to think if you are doing it it must be something easy.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Great post!! Making lifestyle changes does take effort.......effort that is well worth it!!!! I too get the comment....you eat like a horse and don't gain weight.....ok that is a plate full of salad and other veggies, with a small amount of protein, not the fried potatoes, pasta salads, and desserts...which i too would love....but it's funny when i do eat heavy foods i just feel ill!!!! Your body responds to eating clean!!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    fitness chick
    0002016B.gif
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    When I went for a meeting the other day, I brought my own plate with me. Fresh turkey (2oz) strawberries, blueberries, apples, 1 oz 2% ched cheese, banana. Oh and 3 triscuits.

Everyone else came in with the corporate breakfast of scrambled eggs, 6 pc of bacon, 4 sausage links, homefries and a HUGE bagel loaded with at least 2-3 oz of cream cheese. Oh and 8 oz of orange juice.

The girl beside me said, See...THIS is a balanced breakfast! I almost spit out my expensive organic low fat cheddar cheese!

Someone else said If they're buying I am eating! So you have to pig out to get a few additional dollars worth of food from the company??

I am thankful to all of you, who have helped me to understand myself and food. I have a much better relationship with food than 4 months ago.

:love: :heart: :smooched:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    You got to love people.

you crack me up. :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    You got to love people.

you crack me up. :laugh:

Well then
    snapoutofit.gif:bigsmile:

thnotadiet.gif
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    My family says I'm "doing weird stuff"....
    Ummm...figuring out the numbers and working out isn't....weird.
    Also, doing it on my own (with this site) isn't odd....They "can't" lose weight without their WW Leader (a particular one...who is 45 minutes away).

Sure, my loss hasn't been major and everyday is a struggle to pick the right foods and exercise, but I am changing a lifestyle developed through years of watching these same family members! It's not a diet, it's living healthy.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I had lost about 20 lbs 2 yrs ago by going to the gym and eating right (gained it back because I didn't see the big picture then) anyway, I walked into the office at school where I work and there were 3 "oversized" ladies in there and one said smirkingly, "you're losing some weight there girl, how you doing it?" and I said EXERCISE.... and would you all believe they looked at me like I was doing a bad crime!!! I think alot of times it's just jealousy. They want the body without doing all the work to get it. People haven't seen me behind closed doors crying b/c I'm unhappy with myself and working SO hard to get it. Nor have they seen me in the fitting rooms when I throw the clothes back on the rack b/c they were still too tight. There are a lot of things that go on with us as individuals on this journey that isn't easy, but OHHHHHHH the feeling once we get there and walk out the door in a new outfit or that "new me" feeling! Be proud, it's what we've worked so hard to feel....and it doesn't happen overnight! Wow, you struck a nerve on this one and I wrote a book!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Seems to me you aint so clueless after all!:drinker:
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    I had too--- my MOTHER is "trying" to lose weight -- yeah she buys cookies by the boxes from costco twice a week - I went and stayed with her for the summer and put on almost 15 pounds ! :grumble:

ALL MY FAULT I KNOW BUT! when I buy food for me and my hubby and four boys - I do not buy anything for them that I would not be "allowed" to eat. They snack on apples and celery with pb, we do buy a few chips but they are corn chips and I won't eat them -- there fore the temptations are not in my house!

Since I came home I have taken off twelve pounds in 6 weeks- just going back to the way I use to eat and shop! Then I found you guys, and although I told her about this site - she won't join- saying its too much trouble to log your calories, If she is going to live she is going to live "happy" BUT SHE ISN"T - she complains all the time about her aches and pains and her weight!

Don't you guys ever have those people around you that are so negative all the time that you want to just smack the crap out of them!???

I won't even call her anymore because I am so tired of the complaining! THATS how people are until they realise they are thier own worst enemy! Then they "fix" the troubles they have with food and come and join us people that have decided to "fix" ourselves!

I honestly think most peole do not realise the effort that it takes to burn off one pound of fat and how easy it is to eat that one pound of fat in one day! I know I didn't !
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Seems to me you aint so clueless after all!:drinker:

If you only knew:laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!