Running Tip: So you are about to do your first race.

Options

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!!!!!!
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    I've done a 5k and 10k so far and found alot of this helpful :) Thanks
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    My first 5k is tomorrow eeeeek. I started running 8 weeks ago in a learn to run program and am able to run 5k straight so I hope I can do it tomorrow
  • coccolino30
    coccolino30 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for that information... I am almost 72 and will be running - correction walk/running - my first 5k next Sunday in one of the Race for Life series. I am still in the obese BMI and my DH and friends - and me - think I am mad! But I knew I needed to set myself some challenges to stop being a couch potato and get down into the healthy BMI range. I have been walk/running now for a couple of months, and have been gradually extending the distance - today did nearly 2 miles in 28 mins and during this week hope to have done a full 5k by mid-week. And then work over the summer for Great South Run 10miles in Portsmouth at the end of October.
    I am following the Great Run training programme, which is like the C25k, but many thanks OP for the really useful raceday tips. I will be with my DDiL who has done several runs, and my 2 lovely GDs, who I am sure will beat me... but just to complete the 5k in less than an hour would be a fantastic achievement!
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've my first 5K tomorrow - advice sounds great, thanks for posting, OP!
  • jeshhh
    jeshhh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My first 3.5-mile race is tomorrow. Bump for reference at home and for the future.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5K race yesterday, and it went great - I ran it in 35m 09s - I'm happy with that.
    The OP gave great advice - thanks!
  • tmccarter11
    Options
    bump
  • Stevearoonie
    Stevearoonie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bumpity bump
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    bumping thanks to some great advice from a fellow member - my first 5K is this weekend
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Absolutely awesome post.
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Am coming from my first 5k race, I wish I saw this before...didn't exercise well, didn't warm up...now I'm laying in bed and can't move a leg...I will definitely save this for coming race...thanks a lot.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ifga317
    Options
    bump
  • itcanbedone13
    Options
    bump de bump
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump. thank you.
  • lmcglashen
    Options
    Bump! Great article! Thank you so much for taking the time to share these tips. I'm running my first 5k this weekend and this is the kind of advise I need.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it was covered in the thread, but starting line courtesy isn't covered. If it's your 1st race, starting towards the back is probably a good idea. Those starting right at the line are there to get on the podium, not just "finish" and will run right over you if you're in the way.