Running Tip: So you are about to do your first race.

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have never done a "warm-up run" pre-race. I honestly don't see the point. IMO it seems to me you're using up energy doing that.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have never done a "warm-up run" pre-race. I honestly don't see the point. IMO it seems to me you're using up energy doing that.

Everybody is different but here is the scenario of when I would need a warm-up.

When I'm training for long distance races (anything over 10k) my body for the 1st 2 miles is not warmed up. It takes good amount of 15 minutes to get in the groove. That being said if I have signed up for 400 meters/ 1 mile/5k during this training period I pretty much have to warm up good 20 minutes before the race.

Like I said everybody is different.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

It really depends on your fitness level and the distance of the race. You do not want to go run for an hour before racing a marathon or jog a marathon before racing a 5k.

For example:

IMHO, the best way to dynamically warm up for a 5-10k is to run (at slower pace) 2-5k while incorporating drills (skips, high knees, butt kickers, etc.) and finish with a few short strides before you begin races this short. Your muscles need to be warm before you start taxing the fast-twitch muscle fibers used while running HARD the entire race. This will help prevent muscle strains and other miscellaneous injuries.

It's the same principle as if you were lifting weights. You do not walk up to the rack and immediately attempt to push your max bench. You warm up and stretch quite a bit with lighter weight to help prevent injury. :wink:
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    "any advice on how to stop or prevent a stitch? it hurts like hell and i can't run through it"

I have been told that exhailing when your left foot hits the ground as opposed to your right foot is supposed to help.

[Copied from a medical website "Exhaling when the right foot hits the ground causes greater forces on the liver (which is on the right side just below the rib cage). So just as the liver is dropping down the diaphragm raises for the exhalation."]

@pittsblue99

I tried that in an 8.6 km funrun yesterday, and it really worked, and got rid of my stitch! Thanks very, very much!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    this is awesome - thanks so much!!

Also- from my own person experience - make sure you have race appropriate clothes. My first 8k i wore cotton leggings. Once i really got moving they started to stretch out and i ended up having them fall down, and show everyone my undies. (also, don't forget to wear undies!!) i had to pin them to my shirt with the pins from my number just to finish the race. i vow to wear running specific leggings/shorts until the day i die. :)

@gingerfoxxx Mental Picture - then - :D .
  • CiaraRebello
    CiaraRebello Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Signed up for a 5K in May, giving myself LOTS of time to get ready! Thanks for this info!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options

It usually takes me 1.5 to 2 miles to get my legs warmed up. On a training run, that can mean 30-60 seconds per mile slower for those miles than my overall average. For a 5-10k, that can make the difference between getting an AG award or not. Anything under a HM, I do at least a mile slow and easy before the race starts. If I try to push the pace too quickly, my legs get stiffer instead of more loose, and I'm more likely to strain a tendon or hamstring.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thread, but one bit of advice for new runners is to be aware that racing will heat you up. The usual advice is to wear clothes for temps 20 degrees warmer than the air temperature. On race day, even that may be too much, especially for a short race. i.e. on a training run, if it's 50, usually you dress for 70 degrees. For a 5k, if it's 35-40, dress as if it's 70. I've seen runners wearing jackets when it's 40 degrees - that's overkill.