Running Tip: So you are about to do your first race.

Options

Replies

• AmandaMonique
    Options
    Great info! I just ran a 5k this weekend, would have been nice to have this before. But it wasn't too bad, definitely wasnt hydrated enough. Anyway, planning on running a half marathon before te year is over. This will help so much!
  • hagamivida
    hagamivida Posts: 129
    Options
    Why is everyone doing their 5k in sept/oct? I did my first in jan, run-walking and finished last at 48:18, but I did it.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Running a 5k in April!!!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • mrsmerre
    mrsmerre Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm jog/walking my first race ever. I am not a runner or much into fitness but I am trying to change that.I have been loosely following c25k, mostly because I started then felt like I was doing way too much; my shins were on fire and my hips had started aching. I took like a week off and prob 4 days off in general cause I got sick. I have started back again and i'm excited but terrified that i might hurt myself. I have some questions.
    1) when running, how high should I be lifting my legs/knees off of the ground. I am primarily running on treadmill because of the recent weather
    2) I feel pretty good, and i am eager about getting into shape, is jogging everyday bad? I find I cant push myself as hard on the elliptical or bike
    3)I know my arms are supposed to swing at my sides at 90 degrees but it feels weird especially since I'm not running particularly fast, is that ok? I notice that trying to make sure my arms are at my sides causes my shoulders tense up
    4)I heard that to absorb some shock from impact you should run on a 1 percent incline. I think when I tried that is when my shins began hurting. Is there truth to the incline thing? When should you start training at an incline.

Sorry for the questions I've jus been so curious about things since starting my fitness journey. I live in a town where the only place to get sneakers is Walmart so I am going to the city where my 5k will be to get gait analyzed and new sneaks about 2weeks before the race. Thanks so much
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tradaboie
    tradaboie Posts: 132
    Options
    This was really helpful thank you :)
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    Nice post! Useful information for more than beginners. I'm running another 5K this Saturday, and this post reminded me to check a few things on my list.
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    "I have fallen into that trap during a few races, and found myself unknowingly running that first mile faster than I ever trained for, and unfortunately, paying the price later in the race (HR too high too soon). Stick to your pacing plan!"

Question - how do I develop a "pacing plan"? I am running on a treadmill all of the time, so when I took my run outside I couldn't seem to keep any sort of pace. I found myself sprinting, wearing out, stopping - and I was dissappointed that I couldn't run near the distance. I'm so used to the treadmill keeping my pace, how do I learn to do it on my own?
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Great info! Slower joggers/walkers, please remember to stay to the right. It makes it so much easier and safer for others to pass. Nothing worse than the group of women who are too busy chatting and stretch out across the entire path. It's impossible to get around them.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    "I have fallen into that trap during a few races, and found myself unknowingly running that first mile faster than I ever trained for, and unfortunately, paying the price later in the race (HR too high too soon). Stick to your pacing plan!"

Question - how do I develop a "pacing plan"? I am running on a treadmill all of the time, so when I took my run outside I couldn't seem to keep any sort of pace. I found myself sprinting, wearing out, stopping - and I was dissappointed that I couldn't run near the distance. I'm so used to the treadmill keeping my pace, how do I learn to do it on my own?

You need to run outside a lot more. That's one of the problems with treadmills.... you are merely keeping up with the belt speed, not creating the actual speed yourself. It takes time, but is obtainable through regular outdoor running.
  • 51powerski
    51powerski Posts: 66 Member
    Options

It's very easy to go too fast when you make the transition from treadmill to outside. Just slow things down to begin with until you can run your distance. As the previous poster said it will come with more experience.

Or get yourself a GPS watch if you like, they are pretty cheap these days.
  • dmanning0819
    dmanning0819 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bump-AWESOME!!
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    That's good info AZ.. I wish I had that before my first 5k and my first 10k.
  • aspethe
    aspethe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks a ton for the info..running my first 5K next weekend..
    :smile:
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great post...thanks!!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info - have my first race coming up in a few months, so excited!
  • graycaro
    graycaro Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Wonderful info, thanks!
  • TraToy
    TraToy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump