Is it just me or...?

Options

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm not really worried about the first 20 pounds coming off, since that will come off pretty easily, but the last 20 or so will be hard if I am not eating well or the right amount of calories. From the 5-10 different posts I've read you NEED to eat your exercise calories back. MFP already has a deficit in it so it can't be healthy if I add 600 more calories worth of exercise to the 750 calories taken away to lose 1.5 pounds per week.

When you have 20 pounds to go, you'll be dropping down your goal to more like .5-1lb per week anyway. You can use your measurements and your scale to get a handle on whether you're estimating your exercise calories correctly.

Don't make this more complicated than it actually is. ;)
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Until you start spending huge amounts of money (as in hiring someone to follow you around and guide your every decision), I haven't noticed that money changes much in terms of just plain weight loss. You eat less, maybe a lot less, and increase activity (actual calories burned be damned), and weight loss will often occur, though perhaps not to the extent you are looking for. What can be expensive is real fitness and health, as the clothes, gadgets, gear, organic food, and constant fresh produce do add up. It is just a matter of perspective and priorities, though. The average obese person will spend $1400 more a year just on health costs. A recent study indicated that obese persons will also face increased costs due to lost productivity, job opportunities, fuel costs (that was an odd thing to through in, but true), and (this is the kicker) lost wages due to early death (not sure how to take that one). Now, these are obese persons, not the merely overweight, who face somewhat more modest economic losses. All told, if all you want to be is not obese, it does not have to be expensive. If you want to be fit, maybe it will be a bit pricey. For sure, though, if you end up with real obesity, it costs.
  • macenro
    macenro Posts: 160
    Options
    I guess I should have been more clear, but for anyone who want my abbreviated life story for the past year here it is.

I graduated college with a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering and $100,000 in student loans to pay off. I wasn't too worried because I had a job that started out at $75,000 a year lined up that I was to start 2 months after graduation. In that time period the job that I was supposed to fill was not being opened anymore because the guy that was to retire did not want to retire anymore.

So I finish my lease in my apartment near the college, all the time not being able to find a job, and I am forced to move back in with my parents. A month after that our house gets hit by a tornado and we have to move in with a friend of the family. So in the 8-9 months since then the lack of job or money made me very depressed and I went from my normal 170 lbs to around 210 lbs in only 8 months.

So when I say I have no money...I really mean $0 of my own to spend.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    i dont have money either considering i'm a broke college student lol

but you dont have to spend money to lose weight! you have already proven that wrong!

walking outside is free!
    MFP is free!! :) there ya go !

only thing is you have to buy food to eat haha

also - you have been through a lot, give yourself a break :)
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have been more clear, but for anyone who want my abbreviated life story for the past year here it is.

I graduated college with a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering and $100,000 in student loans to pay off. I wasn't too worried because I had a job that started out at $75,000 a year lined up that I was to start 2 months after graduation. In that time period the job that I was supposed to fill was not being opened anymore because the guy that was to retire did not want to retire anymore.

So I finish my lease in my apartment near the college, all the time not being able to find a job, and I am forced to move back in with my parents. A month after that our house gets hit by a tornado and we have to move in with a friend of the family. So in the 8-9 months since then the lack of job or money made me very depressed and I went from my normal 170 lbs to around 210 lbs in only 8 months.

So when I say I have no money...I really mean $0 of my own to spend.

Ah, sorry man. So strange that being broke in the US almost never means losing weight! And depression and boredom almost always means weight gain. Weight loss toys are obviously not a priority for you.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    understand 100 percent! and i dont own a HRM and it never slowed me down not once. i never got caught up with all the number either seem kinda like a waste to me im poor so i know the feeling thank god coffee still affordable or i just die. but i buy frozen veggies, cans of tuna (im a pesco so i only eat seafood) ,pre cooked shrimp (5 dollars at Walmart) i do the best i can with the little bit of money i have to stay a float. biggest thing that make me feel pouty is i lost all this weight and i cant afford a new clothing and i want nice stuff. i brought cheap and use all time when i was fat i dont want to do it again but i do :tongue: but i hope to be able to afford some nice clothing one day.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    We're a family of 5 & on a budget. I've been getting into using coupons so i'm saving lots of money. I also only buy fruits & veggies on sale. My store had watermelon for 2.50 this week.. Heck yea I bough a few :-)
    Money does make it easier but if you do it right you will be fine on a budget. Hey, the money you save you can use for a hrm. That's what I did!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I've just spent my first (and probably only) $26 on a weighted hula hoop. Otherwise I have not spent any extra money on exercise and weight loss. My food budget is $200 for three people, so I have to be very, very careful in how I shop. I have a small garden, which helps, and accept free zucchini from all those funny people who plant a whole patch because they don't know the stuff goes wild and starts growing on your countertops and in your car......One week I'll buy a big bag of carrots and munch on those all week long. Another week it's celery, or radishes, or whatever is on sale. I rarely get to have a whole salad, but all that good stuff is in my diet and I am benefiting on a budget. I'm losing weight by portion control - counting calories here - and taking extra walks with my youngest child, staying more active throughout the day, and drinking tons of water. I don't know if my calorie count is perfect, but I DO know I am taking in a lot fewer calories than I was before I was paying attention. I don't know if my exercise calorie count is perfect, but I DO know I am moving a lot more than I was before I was paying attention. I am working HARD to give up the perfectionism, and that includes thinking I can't do this if I don't know *exactly* what it is that I am doing. My clothes are not as tight. That means I'm making progress, so will keep doing what I'm doing.

I get the no money thing. For awhile, life is kind of rough. But money comes and money goes. We can keep moving, one way or another. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • macenro
    Options
    understand 100 percent! and i dont own a HRM and it never slowed me down not once. i never got caught up with all the number either seem kinda like a waste to me im poor so i know the feeling thank god coffee still affordable or i just die. but i buy frozen veggies, cans of tuna (im a pesco so i only eat seafood) ,pre cooked shrimp (5 dollars at Walmart) i do the best i can with the little bit of money i have to stay a float. biggest thing that make me feel pouty is i lost all this weight and i cant afford a new clothing and i want nice stuff. i brought cheap and use all time when i was fat i dont want to do it again but i do :tongue: but i hope to be able to afford some nice clothing one day.

I think the worse part has been to keep full between meals I have been eating plain bread because it fills me up and it is usually the only thing in the house at all times.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I actually have a HRM but I don't use it. Why do we have to be so anal about the numbers? To me it's all about trial and error anyway. Find out what works for you and keep doing it.

Agree!
    I find this a lot on mfp, and I don't quite get it.
    Ppl log their laundry, housecleaning, grocery shopping, etc.

And no offense, but if you truly believe that you need $ to lose weight you haven't hit the point where you're motivated enough to just do what it takes.
    I've battled with my weight since my oldest was born over 11 years ago.
    But the weight only started coming off when I said THIS IS IT. IVE HAD ENOUGH.

Be super vigilant about what you eat. Stay away from processed foods and sugars.
    And workout regularly. Get your heart rate up and mix things up so you don't fall into a rut.

See this thru and you'll see amazing results!

Good luck!
  • bbpictures
    Options
    I hate hearing this, and honey, it's not just you. I know I don't really like it when people say "I know how you feel" when they really have NO clue what it's like to truly not have any money. I've been there and in fact, still trying desperately to figure a way out.

I hope that your home will be rebuilt in a somewhat timely manner (I know it can take so long w/insurance and FEMA and all)

I posted something on here yesterday asking for some ideas for food for one's with no budget. All we eat right now is pasta and rice and beans!

Any ideas anyone?
  • redtalent
    redtalent Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree. I'm a poor poor college student with lots of loans and I'm getting a degree in theatre! Not much money in that. lol
    What has happened to you is terrible but all of us here know that you can pull through it! Like others have said, walk outside, RUN outside, get together with some friends and go play a game of baseball or something. Any activity will help. And as for food, just cut portions if you really can't control what is being put on your plate and you can't afford all the health stuff. You can do it!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Q: Are yout MFP exercise calories accurate?
    A: Not really. You should spend $40+ on a HRM.

Q: Is there a good way to stop blisters?
    A: You should buy expensive new shoes that are fitted to your feet professionally.

1. Average your HR after having taken it manually a few times during exercise, enter it here: http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm (That will give you an accurate burn.)

2. http://www.invisibleshoe.com/how-to-make-huaraches/ is where to go for cheap, effective, DIY barefoot-running shoes.

3. Also, frozen veggies will save you soooo much money.

There's always a cheap alternative. :) Just gotta look.

Hope it helps! :drinker:
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    So sorry that things have been so bad for you :flowerforyou:

The trick about two pairs of socks for blisters is right! I have always done this when walking my dogs/ hiking/ running and never get blisters.

I don't have a HRM AND I eat all my cals back as I know myself and if I feel starving I won't stick to it. I find MFP is perfectly accurate, for the time being at least. I don't go to a gym, I walk my dogs or take them for a run. And I use my kids' Kinect for workouts.

As for food, I'm sure I read that the US is much cheaper than here in England. Use coupons, buy things when they are on sale and freeze them and buy food in season. The problem I found when I lived in the States years ago was that fast food was SOOO much cheaper than buying regular food from the supermarket to make a meal with. Same when I visited Canada last year, even Walmart prices amazed me!

I spent money on a pair of fairly decent running shoes, and a good running shirt, but they were both in an online sale so less than half the price they should have been, and the running shirt was probably not completely necessary but so much less sweaty than a regular t-shirt.

Hope things pick up for you soon.
  • VaBeachNurse
    Options
    I can agree with both sides. It cost me more money, thats for sure! Healthy food does cost more than junk food!! Workout clothes, DVD's HRM, etc... etc...

BUT.......

Depending on what you want/need to purchase for your fitness program and your meals you can make it cost very little or make it cost a lot.

I think many of us go out and purchase what we want even if we don't necessarily need it.
  • macenro
    Options

And no offense, but if you truly believe that you need $ to lose weight you haven't hit the point where you're motivated enough to just do what it takes.
    I've battled with my weight since my oldest was born over 11 years ago.
    But the weight only started coming off when I said THIS IS IT. IVE HAD ENOUGH.

I never said I couldn't lose weight, but I feel like I would be doing a lot better if I could spend money on things. I can only do things like walking and running around the neighborhood and situps/pushups/dips/squats because I have no weights or equipment.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I've done my share of research so far. I've figured out that I need to eat back my exercise calories back more often than not, but that is hard to do with only a rough estimate from MFP. That means that I have to flirt the line between eating too much of the exercise calories back and not losing as fast and going into starvation mode and not losing as fast.

For most of the "standard" exercises like running, treadmill, walking, spinning, etc, there isn't a huge difference in calories burned from person to person. It's enough of a steady-state motion that it doesn't change a whole lot. So most of those will be fairly close for most people. It's usually when you get into stuff with a lot of non-standard movements where you'll see more variation dependent on intensity, resistance, and adaptation.

But, as mentioned, it's kind of trial and error. When possible, use a machine that uses height/weight/age to calculate burns. For other things, go ahead and use MFP, and try to eat around 50-75% and try to guage how you feel. That leaves a bit of a buffer, but should provide enough to keep your deficit from getting too high.

I am in the same boat - I don't have the money to spend on a lot of healthier foods (organic, etc - not to mention it's not really available where I live), or equipment, etc. We don't even have a gym within 45 minutes of where I live. So you kind of have to get creative and be accurate where you can.

One thing that may help is staying consistent and then tracking your progress on a graph (ie measurements/weight by week) to see the overall trend with a particular strategy. If the trend is down, great. If it's static or up, try tweaking something. Good luck with it. :wink:
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    On the surface many things in life seem as if they'd be easier with money.
    And while that may be true, money is not necessary at all for effective weight loss.

The exercises you just listed are some of the most effective out there.
    Running, jump rope, jumping jacks are great for cardio.
    Push ups, crunches, planks, squats, lunges and plyometric variations of those (adding jumps) are just as effective in building lean muscle as using weights/equipment.

Eat clean and eat calorie dense foods, you'd be amazed at how far your $ can go.

Good luck!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    "Losing weight costs money".... another one of those excuses for being overweight.

I lost my weight without spending a single penny on fitness. All you have to do is change what you eat and MOVE more. Yes, classes, gyms, equipment can help - that's what you get for Christmas etc. I always get workout DVDs for presents - I ask for them because I WANT them so that I can CHANGE myself. The only barrier to losing weight is in the mind. So you don't have money? Big deal! Do something that's free!

As for food, there are tonnes of stuff that is cheap. Buy seasonal fruit and veg, buy reduced items at the supermarket, don't buy bags of salad that go limp as soon as you open them, buy oats, flour, butter, eggs, cheap cuts of meat, rice, cheese, beans, pulses..... LEARN to cook healthier options. I feed a family of 5 on approx $125 AUD per week. AND I'm gluten free (now those food substitutes ARE expensive - hence why I tend to not bother with them and just eat other things).

You don't need a HRM. You don't need to invest in incredible shoes (I had the same dodgy pair of X trainers for 3 years until I got my runners for Christmas last year). You don't need a gym membership. You don't need a PT. You NEED the right attitude.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Amen!!! That is a true statement!

And by the way, when I was in boot camp years ago we didn't use the gym very often. We did all those exercises you mentioned and more with no equipment at all, just a drill instructor yelling in your face, and everyone lost plenty of weight.

Also don't take this the wrong way, but you may want to talk to your Dr. about some antidepressants. Just sayin!