Feeling Discouraged

Options
2»

Replies

• crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys and gals!

When I started this I told myself I wasn't going to let the scale define my success, but I let it happen anyway. I haven't taken any measurements, but I will today. I'm hiding that stupid scale for a few weeks too lol.

Thanks again everyone. I lost a little bit of confidence this morning, but thanks to you all, I found it :)
  • DanaKinzer
    DanaKinzer Posts: 72
    Options
    May I suggest you measure your success in ways other than the scale, at least for now? For example:

My fanny pack which was tight when I first started is now two inches loose
    Walking outside in the heat for an hour used to put me into heatstroke. I was walking in the heat for 4 hours yesterday with no signs of over heating.
    Before I started, I couldn't walk 50 feet without getting winded. Now I walk a total of 4 miles each day with my dogs.
    Before I started, I couldn't walk with a dog without being dragged along ten feet. (Even the dogs were stronger than me, and one weighs only 10 pounds!) Now I can walk two dogs at a time with no issues. Two out of four of those dogs is over 50 pounds!
    Before I started, I couldn't carry two jugs of water or even a ten pound bag of cat food. Now, I can carry a twenty pound bag of dog food in each arm at the same time!

I've had a lot more successes also. Take a look at your successes. No matter how minor they may be, they are actually pretty HUGE. Seriously. I can WALK again! I can lift the dog food. I can walk the dogs and stay in control of them! What can you do now that you couldn't do before?
  • marybsalmon
    marybsalmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love this! What a great idea!!! Congrats on all your successes...that's terrific!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Glad you are feeling better. First I want to say WAY TO GO! 11lbs in five weeks is pretty awesome! Little ups and downs will happen and as your body adjusts so will your nutritional needs need to adjust. I would suggest looking at sodium levels and how clean your eating is. By that I mean natural fresh foods versus processed foods. 1200 calories of processed is going to be laden with sodium and other gunk. Also how is your water intake. We need lots of water to clean out the toxins our bodies have been carrying in all that excess baggage and as we lose it we release a lot into our systems that need to be flushed out or we will see inflamation (water weight gain) as our bodies try to figure out how to deal with it. Good luck! Keep an open mind and that scale vacation is the best idea. I only weigh once per week now as when I did it constanly it became obsessive and a monster. Like one of th posters said I like my belt, my clothes and my mirror more than the scale, cause some days the proofs in the pudding (bad pun on a healthy site), not in the label. Keep GITTIN-R-DONE! great job!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I agree -- I think your body is adjusting to the new weight a bit.

I have found that my body plateaus every 9 pounds. I went through several steady weeks of 1 pound weight loss. At 9 pounds, my body went through a couple of weeks where I gained and lost the same 1-2 pounds for a couple of weeks before it went back to a steady decline. Same thing at 18 -- and now at 27.

It is really frustrating to be working so hard and not seeing the results. You can try eating more calories, drinking more water, or shaking up the exercise a bit. The most important thing is to stick with it == the weight will eventually come off.
  • Rotties4Life
    Rotties4Life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting and I exercise 3x a week to include Zumba. I have been working my butt off. It seems like I should have lost more than 9 pounds in a months time. My clothes are still tight on me. When will I start to see the fruits of my labor? Im really discouraged now. Any advice/suggestions?