If you were a juror on the Casey Anthony trial....

Options
124»

Replies

• daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is this - If I had been on the jury there would have been a guilty verdict!!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Guilty but I don't think the prosecution did a good job of presenting "Real" evidence. There really is not enough to convict someone of murder. Therefore my vote would be not guilty.

Yeah, I can see your point with this one - I have listened to most of the trial while working and I think there are some issues with their evidence BUT I don't know that I could vote non-guilty with the evidence they did present.
    With the way the law is written I don't think they had a choice if they followed the law. It's not emotional decision strictly facts presented. Kinda surprised verdict was so fast though

She definitely deserves to be convicted of something but can't retry her for the same thing now. Maybe neglect, I don't know, abuse, etc etc. none of those seem to be tough enough.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I would be disappointed in how sensationalist the media has become that we completely focus on any crime that looks like it has compelling hollywood like story lines and make for a good cause for Nancy Grace to rally around, while ignoring the many children who die or go missing each day, especially in poor and minority community.

It's sad that only the cute kids who get killed or go missing receive the most press.
    this. THIS THIS THIS
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    NOT GUILTY....you can't win a case unless you PROVE...PHYSICAL UNDENIABLE PROOF, that she did it. The entire case was circumstantial.

I would rather 10 guilty people go free than one innocent person be put to death.

I'm not saying she didn't do it...the Prosecution didn't do their job...bottom line. You can't just act on...."I think she did it."

People seem to forget you are INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. Not the other way around.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I would be disappointed in how sensationalist the media has become that we completely focus on any crime that looks like it has compelling hollywood like story lines and make for a good cause for Nancy Grace to rally around, while ignoring the many children who die or go missing each day, especially in poor and minority community.

Agree. As sad as Caylee's death is, there are thousands on thousands of children who go missing or murdered every year without any attention from the media.

This whole trial was a media circus of epic proportions. I find it very sad that we turned something very serious into such a complete and total legal frenzy.

From what I saw of the trial and reports, I would have voted "not guilty" also. There was no witness, no physical evidence, and most of all no motive presented by the prosecution. You cannot throw someone in jail for life or worse put them to death from circumstantial evidence. The justice system must be based on reason and following the letter of the law, not emotion no matter how disturbing or coincidental the evidence is.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    NOT GUILTY....you can't win a case unless you PROVE...PHYSICAL UNDENIABLE PROOF, that she did it. The entire case was circumstantial.

I would rather 10 guilty people go free than one innocent person be put to death.

I'm not saying she didn't do it...the Prosecution didn't do their job...bottom line. You can't just act on...."I think she did it."

People seem to forget you are INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. Not the other way around.

Joe I am so pleased you are my mfpal!

I know nothing of this case but these atrocities are universal and I do not understand how a so-called civilised society can condone trial by media and certainly not the death penalty. But hey call me a leftie liberal.... I wear the label with pride
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    now remember you Christians out there who advocate for her death...that certain faith you believe in...

Death penalty does not go against the bible. Paul talks about it in the New Testament.

"Thou shall not kill." Seems pretty clear to me.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Not Guilty. Proof beyond a reasonable doubt does not exist and that is all that matters. What we think, doesn't. If you'd let what you think drive your verdict vs your instruction of how reaching one must happen, please do not sit on a jury. Find a way to get excused.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Guilty on all accounts.
  • UTDodger
    UTDodger Posts: 18
    Options
    GUILTY. Now maybe her and OJ can hook up. The verdict is crazy
  • striderb
    striderb Posts: 5,843 Member
    Options
    My gut feeling - little Caylee accidently died from a dose of chloroform her mother used to keep her quiet while visiting her boyfriend.

It will be interesting to see what other charges the State will file against her next. They obviously can't go for murder again.
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    I would not presume to declare someone guilty (or not) without having been at the trial, looking at and hearing the evidence. What the media has presented is not the whole story, and tends to be led towards the verdict they think is true, whether they mean to or not. The idea is that as a juror you need TO BE SURE BEYOND THE SHADOW OF A DOUBT, and the jury felt they could not do that.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    now remember you Christians out there who advocate for her death...that certain faith you believe in...

Death penalty does not go against the bible. Paul talks about it in the New Testament.

That doesn't mean you should excuse those who have.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

No, and I would never excuse a murderer (not sure how you even read my response that way).
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

No, and I would never excuse a murderer (not sure how you even read my response that way).

I think we should leave religion out of this.
  • sparrows7
    sparrows7 Posts: 59
    Options

Agree. As sad as Caylee's death is, there are thousands on thousands of children who go missing or murdered every year without any attention from the media.

This whole trial was a media circus of epic proportions. I find it very sad that we turned something very serious into such a complete and total legal frenzy.

From what I saw of the trial and reports, I would have voted "not guilty" also. There was no witness, no physical evidence, and most of all no motive presented by the prosecution. You cannot throw someone in jail for life or worse put them to death from circumstantial evidence. The justice system must be based on reason and following the letter of the law, not emotion no matter how disturbing or coincidental the evidence is.

I love this post!!
  • sparrows7
    sparrows7 Posts: 59
    Options

Exactly!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options

... Because someone said "death penalty doesn't go against the bible" and you said "'Thou shall not kill.' Seems pretty clear to me," which reads as though you're saying "The bible seems to be against the death penalty because it says thou shall not kill." A common argument against the death penalty—when directed toward Christians—is the commandment which you quoted.

I don't know how anyone could have read it otherwise, honestly. But never mind, good to know we're on the same page.