Craving mexican food...

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Another very yummy option...

Marinade boneless skinless chicken breasts in a little lime margarita mix (without the tequila) for a few hours or overnight.

Top with a glob of salsa and bake at 450F for about 25 minutes. Sprinkle shredded cheese (I use a Mexican blend) but swiss is lower in sodium if that's a concern, and bake another 5 minutes so the cheese melts.

Absolutely amazing. The chicken is juicy and tender with a hint of lime.

It's about 212 calories per 4 oz serving.
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I second the black bean fajita bowl!! I could never give up Mexican food. Ground turkey and chicken are even more delicious than beef, in my opinion. Cook them up with some good Mexican herbs or seasoning.

I tend to eat my Mexican in bowl form always now. Buy some fresh, healthy salsa, cheese, black beans, peppers, and whatever else you like in your fajitas/tacos/whatever! Serve them over hot rice (or shredded cauliflower for lower cal/lower carb--this is actually good, and I generally hate cauliflower), mix it all together, and it is DELICIOUS.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Chicken Taco Meat for 1 or 2 people: In a crockpot, dumb a can or rotel & a pkg of taco seasoning and mix it together. Place one large frozen chicken breast on top of the mixture & spoon some of the mixture on top of the meat. Cook on low for 4 - 6 hours. Just keep an eye on it. Shred the meat when done & serve on tacos or as a taco salad filling. It is really good on a taco salad along w/ red onion, fresh cilantro & black beans.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with Mexican food? If you cook it right you can eat anything. Just find a recipe and pick low cal versions or even replace the meat with beans.
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    I make Tilapia tacos all the time. Sprinkle Tilapia with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, cayenne....anything you want, really. Bake in oven (you can also saute with a little PAM). Flake the Tilapia into bite size pieces.

Salsa - mango, red onion, avocado, lime juice - mix together.

Using low carb, small flour tortillas, add tilapia, black beans, shredded cabbage, mango salsa and a little Cotija cheese if you like.

Super good. If you have calories to spare, you can also lightly bread the fish with Panko (japanese bread crumbs). In this case, I season the bread crumbs with lime zest, and whatever seasonings I like. Dip in egg white, then crumbs and bake in oven.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for tacos using a meat substitute called TVP and Flat-Out as the wrap. You can adjust the ingredients to your tastes, my version was 275 calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Jorra/view/tvp-tacos-116661
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    You can use Ortega whole grain taco shells...they are 2 for 110 claories with 6 grams of fiber and either put a couple ounces of ground beef (94/6) in each or chopped chicken breast. (You can use the taco seasoning packs as they don't have too much calorie or sodium...I think they even make one with less sodium)...top with lettuce, tomato, light sprinkle of cheese if you have to have cheese and if you want sour cream, use plain fat free greek yogurt instead. Way better for you and way less calories.
    Also, for "spanish rice" I make a serving of Minute brown rice and add 1/2 a cup of salsa to it while it's cooking...to me, it tastes the same, if not better than regular spanish rice because I know it's better for me. I get my fix without all the "bad" stuff.
    Good luck!

Adding salsa into brown rice is a great idea! I think I might try that today in a tortilla mixed with beans and cheese. :-)
  • Stumbleine
    Stumbleine Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I actually make some kind of Mexican dish at least 3 times a week, because I love it so much. I think Mexican is one of the easiest things to do healthy, too. I make everything vegetarian and use black beans in place of meat, whole wheat tortillas (or chips for taco salad), brown rice and lots of fresh veggies! You can use cheese and sour cream sparingly, but honestly I don't think it even needs either of those things. I still get them for my husband though. I also make a homemade salsa every week that I use as a staple. Just tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, cilantro, a can of Ro-Tel, lemon juice and sea salt. It's delicious!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I made one of our favorite pseudo-mexican dishes last night - Weight Watchers recipe for Arroz Con Pollo:

Makes 4 servings

2 cups cooked chicken breast (about 1 lb) – diced
    1 cup frozen peas – thawed
    2 tsp olive oil
    2 cloves garlic (about 1 tsp minced)
    2 bell peppers (yellow and orange) – diced
    1 small onion – diced
    1 cup long-grain rice (uncooked)
    2 cups chicken broth/stock
    1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilis
    1 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp cumin
    Adobo spice to taste
    Topping - 2% mex blend shredded cheese (1 cup)

Heat oil in large skillet; add garlic, peppers and onion, saute for a few minutes to allow veggies to slightly soften. Add rice and cook until rice is slightly browned. Add broth, tomatoes, oregano and cumin (and adobo). Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Add peas and cooked chicken, cover and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until peas are cooked and chicken is heated through.
    Top each serving with about ¼ cup mex cheese
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I like to make this quinoa salad: http://ibuyflour.blogspot.com/2010/06/quinoa-salad.html

Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa
    2 cups water (or chicken broth)
    1-2 avocados, diced into cubes (depending on taste or availability)
    6-10 scallions, thinly sliced
    1 can black beans
    1 can corn
    1 can Rotel (I used the kind with cilantro and lime juice)
    lime juice (however much tastes good to you, it also helps stop the avocado from browning)
    cilantro (optional)
    salt and pepper
    To cook the quinoa: bring 2 cups of water (or broth) to a boil. Add the quinoa. Turn heat to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Let it cool for a while before you add all of the other ingredients.
    Add all of the ingredients to the quinoa. Salt and pepper to taste. Chill and enjoy!

Also, what about a taco salad of some sort? Not the kind with the big shell, but some lettuce topped with salsa, some fat free sour cream, low fat cheese, and black beans?
  • snickles5051
    Options
    Love Mexican and HAVE to have the sour cream. If you buy plain yogurt (not vanilla) it tastes just like sour cream wihtout the calories.
  • snickles5051
    Options
    I posted this on another reply, but if you buy plain yogurt (not vanilla) it tastes just like sour cream. Really!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Wholly Guacamole makes 100 cal packs of their awesome guacamole. I keep those in the freezer for when I'm totally craving some guac! And this sometimes satisfies MY mexican craving.
    100 cal Hamburger bun or sandwich thin
    Morningstar Spicy Black Bean Burger
    1/2 packet of 100 cal guacamole
    Salsa to taste

Whole sandwich comes in at about 270-280 calories
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I make Tilapia tacos all the time. Sprinkle Tilapia with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, cayenne....anything you want, really. Bake in oven (you can also saute with a little PAM). Flake the Tilapia into bite size pieces.

Using low carb, small flour tortillas, add tilapia, black beans, shredded cabbage, mango salsa and a little Cotija cheese if you like.

Super good. If you have calories to spare, you can also lightly bread the fish with Panko (japanese bread crumbs). In this case, I season the bread crumbs with lime zest, and whatever seasonings I like. Dip in egg white, then crumbs and bake in oven.

Oh YUM! I love fish tacos but always afraid to order them out b/c you know they can't be too good for you. ;) Going to try this, thanks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I never gave up Mexican food because it is my favorite food. Make it with healthy ingredients: extra lean ground turkey, vegetarian refried beans, low fat or non-fat cheese, and whole grain flour tortillas or corn tortillas. Measure your portions and do not fry your tortillas, just warm them in a pan or with a tortilla warmer in the microwave.

Yes, this exactly! I LOVE Mexican food so I just make it healthier with the suggestions above. Also add homemade guacamole or salsa. My husband is not a fan of Mexican food but actually prefers my healthy versions to Mexican restaurants.
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    Options

What a great idea! No tilapia on hand, but I've got a bag of salmon in the freezer, and fresh peaches on the counter. THIS is what's for dinner! Thanks for the recipe! :drinker:
  • nkrueger1
    nkrueger1 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ground Turkey Tostadas, with refried black beans, lettuce, tomatoe, and avocado.

Prepare your corn tortillas by placing them in the oven till crispy.
    Cook your turkey and add some taco seasoning to taste.
    Heat black beans.
    Shred your lettuce and cut up your tomatoe.
    Sliced avocado.

Take your tortilla spread w/ heated black beans and ground turkey top w/ lettuce, tomato, avocado and salsa.
    Very Yummy and filling.
  • HappyHealthyHolly
    HappyHealthyHolly Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I posted my vegan taco recipe in the 'Recipes' section under 'Holly's Vegan Tacos'. You don't have to be vegan to eat them & you can alter it any way you'd like that suits you. I turn that same recipe into nachos or just a taco like salad.
    Also, homemade salsa can add a great, almost zero calorie boost to any food for a Latin flare! ;)
  • auntbyte
    auntbyte Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Quorn (in many forms) is available at Whole Foods & most Krogers. Morningstar Farms Crumbles will substitute if you're trying to eat vegetarian, vegan, or just trying to reduce the animal protein in your diet. Yes, we DO have Quorn over here.......and I'm glad to see you've got Old El Paso over there! What a small world, afterall!!! Congrats to everyone!!