Craving mexican food...

Options

Replies

• myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My friend gave this recipe to me and it's the best enchilada's i've EVER had!.... all i did was change all the ingredients to low cal! =) Be warned this makes a lot of enchiladas though!

Chicken enchilada recipe

What you need:
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (diced)
    8 flour tortillas
    2 cups shredded cheese
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup milk
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 tbs chili powder (i just use as much as i want. more for spicy less for not spicy)
    salt and pepper
    1 jar taco sauce

Directions:
    Cook chicken breast. Season with chili powder and salt and pepper. Mix soup and sour cream together in separate bowl. Grease 9x13 baking pan. When chicken is cooked fill flour tortillas with 1tbs soup mixture and 1 spoon chicken. ( i dont use exact measurements with this cause some people like more soup mixture less chicken or vise versa. its gunna look like not alot of chicken but it is just enough.) Fold shell side over side and place in baking pan; continue until all chicken is used. With remaining soup mixture (1/2 should have been used) mix 1/2 cup milk to thin the mixture. Pour over rolled tortillas in dish. Drizzle taco sauce and spread cheese on top. (the whole bottle of taco sauce is needed.) Bake at 350 degrees covered with foil for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook until cheese is golden brown (about another 30 minutes). And whala!!! your finished! ENJOY!
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    My husband LOVES mexican so I like to make burrito's at home that are pretty healthy. Still working on making them EVEN healthier.
    I use whole wheat tortios
    I use Newmans Own salsa low cal, low sodium and all natural
    I use low sodium taco seasoning
    I use ground chicken or ground beef 1/8 per burrito
    I use low fat sour cream
    And last I buy bird's steamfresh brown rice and use 1/2 a cup in each but I am going to cut them down next time to 1/4

Hope that helps. I dont cut out everything I just make it healthier to eat.
  • sadielane
    sadielane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite slow cooker recipes (from Allrecipes.com if you want to see the full nutritional info)

Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
    Ingredients
    1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
    1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
    1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups water
    1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
    1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    7 corn tortillas
    vegetable oil
    Directions
    1.Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
    2.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    3.Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
    4.Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.

Makes 8 servings

Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 262 | Total Fat: 10.8g | Cholesterol: 46mg
  • rikisue206
    rikisue206 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Simmer canned chicken on the stovetop with salsa....toss in some black beans. Heat through. Eat just like that or over a half a cup of brown rice, or a half a cup of refried beans. Sprinkle on a bit of part-skim low moisture mozzarella shredded cheese, and you've got a rounded, tasty, "mexican" alternative for under 400 calories.
  • christineh611
    christineh611 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love mexican food so when I started low calorie I found some other options that taste pretty good:

here are 2 of my favorite:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1518

the Fiber-ific Nacho-rific Stuffed Chicken is my favorite. It's a bit high in sodium but it should help with your cravings!
    :)
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try some of these recipes. Here's my home made avocado guacamole:

2 large avocados
    1 clove of garlic, pressed
    salt and pepper to taste
    tablespoon of lime juice

Mash together to desired consistency. If you like it thinner/smoother, add more lime juice.
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    I like to make this quinoa salad: http://ibuyflour.blogspot.com/2010/06/quinoa-salad.html

Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa
    2 cups water (or chicken broth)
    1-2 avocados, diced into cubes (depending on taste or availability)
    6-10 scallions, thinly sliced
    1 can black beans
    1 can corn
    1 can Rotel (I used the kind with cilantro and lime juice)
    lime juice (however much tastes good to you, it also helps stop the avocado from browning)
    cilantro (optional)
    salt and pepper
    To cook the quinoa: bring 2 cups of water (or broth) to a boil. Add the quinoa. Turn heat to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Let it cool for a while before you add all of the other ingredients.
    Add all of the ingredients to the quinoa. Salt and pepper to taste. Chill and enjoy!

Also, what about a taco salad of some sort? Not the kind with the big shell, but some lettuce topped with salsa, some fat free sour cream, low fat cheese, and black beans?

Can't wait to try this!
  • muffin111
    muffin111 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hungry Girl's Nacho-rific chicken!! :o)

1/2 cup fat-free refried beans
    4 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese
    1/4 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
    16 low-fat baked tortilla chips (like the kind by Guiltless Gourmet)
    1 tsp. dry taco seasoning mix
    Four 5-oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast cutlets, pounded to 1/3-inch thickness
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    1/4 cup taco sauce, divided
    Optional toppings: fat-free sour cream, salsa

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.

To make the filling, combine beans, cheese wedges, and shredded cheese in a bowl. Mix thoroughly and set aside.

Put chips in a sealable plastic bag and crush with your hands or a rolling pin. Add taco seasoning and give it a good shake to mix. Set aside.

Place cutlets flat on a clean, dry surface, and season with salt and black pepper. Spoon filling onto the centers of the cutlets, evenly dividing it among them (about 2 tbsp. each). Carefully roll each cutlet up over the filling (which may ooze a little, but don't worry!) and secure with toothpicks, if needed. Transfer to the baking sheet.

Cover each stuffed cutlet with 1 tbsp. taco sauce, using the back of the spoon or your fingers to coat. Coat cutlets with crumb mixture. Cover the baking sheet with foil, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Carefully remove foil. Bake until chicken is cooked through and outsides are crispy, about 15 additional minutes.

Let cool slightly and remove toothpicks (if using). If you like, top with sour cream and salsa. Enjoy!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS
  • KareBear696
    Options
    I love Mexican food as well and have not given it up. When eating out I make healthy choices like corn not flour, black beans not refried, and so on. When I am at home my husband and I both LOVE cooking from the Hungery Girl Cookbooks and from her emails. She has lots of great swaps on all the classic craving food, even Starbuck swaps.... Who can say no to that? :)
  • krklstephi
    krklstephi Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Here is something that I made and really liked. I don't remember the calorie count though.

Taco Salad

Boca meatless crumbles
    Taco seasoning
    Lettuce Shreds
    Tomato
    NonFat Refried Beans
    Plain Greek Yogurt
    Small flour toritllas
    Shredded Cheese

Cook the Boca till done, add taco seasonings and water. Slice tortialls into 6ths, spray lightly with olive oil and bake in oven about 5 minutes. Place the lettuce, sliced tomato, greek yogurt, and shredded cheese in a bowl. Heat the refried beans. Place a scoop (about 1/4 cup depending on how much beans you like) of beans on top of salad mix. Add Boca meat. Crumble the tortillas over top of salad. Add salsa if you like.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I had marvelous tacos just last week. Used the Stand and Stuff shells, with drained lean beef (sometimes we do it with ground turkey), fiesta blend cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, and our own, homemade spice mix. Everything measured and counted so I knew exactly what I was having and could track it. I had FOUR tacos, with a side of home-spiced beans. It was heavenly, and the calories and carbs weren't out of control for me.

You can do it, just measure, weigh, and make sure you've got the calories/carbs/room left on your daily intake.

Kris
  • Sho_Rowell
    Sho_Rowell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ccmulder5
    ccmulder5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i used "flatout" flat bread and lightly sprayed both sides with olive oil spray and put it in the oven for about 6 mins.. made it perfectly crunchy.. (not falling apart) and added toppings.. most mexican food is relatively low in fat.. just watch the cheese and sour cream!!(i use fat free) hope that helps!!
  • punk_mama
    punk_mama Posts: 93
    Options
    I love making egg tacos for breakfast.

Egg whites
    Corn tortillas
    Salsa
    Black beans

Soooooo good!!
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    corn tortillas. try turkey tenderloin pieced up. shredded lettuce, salsa, fat free refried beans, skim motz. cheese. , these are delicious!!
  • RosieGB33nz
    RosieGB33nz Posts: 142
    Options
    Me and my husband LOOOOOVE this dish, we got it of his mum. This is at least eaten once a week at our house!

Chilli Dip Bean - Serves 4

350g onion
    1 x canned tomato's
    2 x can chilli beans
    30g minced/crushed garlic
    2 Tsp cumin
    1Tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp Chilli powder (only if the chilli beans are not spicy, we get 1 medium, 1 mild and flag the chilli powder)

Dice the onions, nice and chunky. Throw in to a pan on medium and cook through.
    Add cumin, paprika, chilli powder and garlic. Mix through quickly (onions will be sticking to the pan)
    Add tinned tomatoes
    Empty chilli beans into a square dish and mash them up. You can blend them but we like ours a bit chunky
    Add chilli beans to rest of the ingredients in the pan
    Simmer for 5 minutes

Now.... My husband has corn chips but i cant have them any more so i have the good stuff over broccoli, cauliflower and green beans with a dollop of sour cream on the top.

Serving size is about 400g for the chilli
    Calories: 274
    Carbs: 46
    Protein: 14
    Saturated fat: 0
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a fun, sort of Mexican dish? An omelet or scrambled eggs (no milk) with a third of a cup of fiesta blend cheese and a few tablespoons of salsa or picante over the top--delicious!

Kris
  • apfeiff
    apfeiff Posts: 39
    Options
    I have 2 go-to recipes. Go to the hungry girl website- they have HG's Exploding Chicken Taquitos. But on the same category, I make chicken tacos. I wish I knew how to show you the picture because it is delish!

Fresh Mex Chicken Tacos
    (serves about 5 people, 2 tacos per person)
    4 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
    1/4-1/2 medium yellow onion
    1/4-1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    1-2 medium tomatoes, diced
    12 corn tortillas
    fresh lime (optional)
    sour cream (optional, but obviously not the healthy route)

Start by cutting your chicken breasts into bite size cubes BEFORE you cook them. Heat your skillet and drizzle some oil. Add your chicken. For seasoning, sprinkle some garlic salt and pepper. You can also season with Mrs. Dash Spicy Chicken seasoning (not too much, it's spicy!). You can also try cumin and chili powder.

While the chicken is cooking, heat a smaller skillet/fry pan to medium/low. When it heats up, add your corn tortillas (no oil or cooking spray). You don't want them too crispy, so keep an eye on them. When the first side is starting to brown, flip it over.

Now that your chicken is cooked, and tortilla is hot and ready, you can add your chicken & fixin's and enjoy yourself a yummy chicken taco!