Grocery shopping just got more expensive!

Options
I think one of the things about gaining weight is that junk-food is so cheap!

But now that I joined MFP & I'm eating healthier, grocery shopping got a lot more expensive.

Does anyone have advice from their experiences?

Replies

• sweetCJ
    sweetCJ Posts: 144
    Options
    Mine is the same way...he say's that he'll pay for lipo suction...lol But I keep telling him that the 60-90$ a week we spent on delivery pizza does not happen anymore, so now it cost less in groceries...if you think that it use to cost me between 130 to 150$ a week plus pizza (let say 60$ is twice in a week) so realy it use to cost us 190 to 210$ a week and now it's only 160 to 170$...so I save. I just keep telling to shut up at least he's eating good food!

Good luck!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Shop weekly. That way you know how much of what foods you'll eat. I can't tell you how many times I've bought nearly every fruit I like at the store, but there was no way for me to consume all them before they went bad. That will help cut costs alone. Buy items when they're on sale, but only if you planned on buying it already. Make sure you shop for a rainbow of colors. :)) P.S. I always dish this information out, but never follow it myself, but try using coupons, and if you're a real haggler, stores like Walmart will honor other stores prices if they're lower.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    It really isn't more expensive... It is at first, but then you learn little secrets and it gets cheaper and cheaper and eventually cheaper than eating crap.

junk is easier and quicker to buy, it certainly isn't cheaper..

There are tons of posts already in the forums.. search for them and you will find lots of hints.
  • syates83
    syates83 Posts: 87
    Options
    Be sure to look for weekly ads and coupons...I'm not talking crazy extreme couponing but a little sale/coupon savings does every family budget good!
    For instance if something I know I will use goes on sale and I have a coupon, I stock up. Planning is key!
    Good luck...
  • clancie518
    clancie518 Posts: 40
    Options
    I wouldn't take him with me anymore...
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Mine is the same way...he say's that he'll pay for lipo suction...lol But I keep telling him that the 60-90$ a week we spent on delivery pizza does not happen anymore, so now it cost less in groceries...if you think that it use to cost me between 130 to 150$ a week plus pizza (let say 60$ is twice in a week) so realy it use to cost us 190 to 210$ a week and now it's only 160 to 170$...so I save. I just keep telling to shut up at least he's eating good food!

Good luck!

He doesn't really care about the cost at all. He actually hasn't even said anything about it.
    I'm just wondering how to make it cheaper =P I went from buying everything as cheap as possible (great value brand for the most part), to getting everything as healthy/low cal as possible. The less calories the more expensive lol!
    When I got shopping I leave my husband home now for sure, Ha!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Exactly. I think the whole "junk is cheaper" argument is BS.
  • tracivee
    tracivee Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Extreme coupon, like me! Contrary to popular belief, you can find coupons and sales for healthy items! Also, take advantage of coupon overages to help with meat/veggie/fruit costs. It takes work and organization, but it is doable.
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    We also spend considerably more now that we're shopping healthier, but in the long run it's very much worth it!

Katie
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's more expensive. There are always great deals on chips and ice cream, but I have yet to see a BOGO on apples.

We stock up when healthy stuff is on sale and freeze it. Mostly ground turkey, chicken breasts, berries, and cut-up bell peppers for cooking, but other stuff too. And we pretty much limit ourselves to eating the fruit that's on sale or from the freezer. I figure it's better to spend $15 more per grocery bill for healthy food now than the thousands of dollars and discomfort for hospital stays and meds later on....

Also, we try to plan meals ahead so that our produce doesn't go to waste.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of things that have helped us make it through leaner times...

1.) Check the meat sales, including the clearance section. Base your meat meals around whatever is inexpensive.
    2.) Most cooked veg, I buy frozen. In most cases, it's far less expensive than fresh.
    3.) Fresh produce - I only buy what's on sale (except for a couple of staples). Also - if you have a club store near you, it's a good place for some produce. ex. Romaine Hearts at any of my local stores are about $3-4 for 3 heads. At Sam's, they're just under $3 for 6 heads. If that's the only item I ever purchase there, I've made up for the cost of my membership.

Also - learn (if you don't know how) to improvise recipes, and make your own sauces, dressings and marinades. Cheaper and healthier.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

Good luck!

He doesn't really care about the cost at all. He actually hasn't even said anything about it.

I'm just wondering how to make it cheaper =P I went from buying everything as cheap as possible (great value brand for the most part), to getting everything as healthy/low cal as possible. The less calories the more expensive lol!
    When I got shopping I leave my husband home now for sure, Ha!

Great Value brand still has some healthier options, right? Frozen veggies and fruit, light yogurt, knock off cheerios? I think if you stick to a list and know what is on sale for the week, you will be able to stick to good foods and not blow your budget.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yep it does cost a little more... but not a lot. I started getting the Sunday paper delivered (only costs 4 something a month) so I could get the coupons. Last week I saved $15 using my coupons! The subscription is already paying for itself. =)
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said its more expensive but then again I heard another thing that makes sense, You are more satisfied by healthy foods. A bag of chips vs something high fiber and protien. So you dont feel like you have to eat a whole bag of chips and still feel like you want to munch on something
  • Beeger79
    Beeger79 Posts: 7
    Options
    Tell me about it!!! I have an autistic son and he LOVES grapes and strawberries and they are not cheap. Plus, I try to eat as many fresh fruit and veggies as I can, but again. . .NOT Cheap!! I try to make due with fresh frozen and some canned F & V, but it's not really the same.
    If you live near a Farmers Market, they are great for getting good produce for less than grocery stores. If not, try the canned or frozen stuff. . .can't hurt to try. :wink:
  • jenfitz34
    jenfitz34 Posts: 31
    Options
    I buy whats on sale and plan my meals accordingly. Alter recipes to fit the ingredients you have, and always keep some staples on hand for an easy grilled meat salad.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I never understand when people say that. If you shop for basic ingredients and prepare your own foods it is way cheaper than buying anything prepared, healthy or unhealthy.
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    I have started buying bulk grains and flours at Whole Foods Market. I know that in general shopping there is more money, but if you get the bulk stuff once a month and then shop for veggies/fruits once a week the costs really do go down. My faves are the whole wheat flour (amazing low cal pancakes!), amaranth, quinoa, lentils, and brown rice. And if you watch for what is on sale then it is even better!
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    We also spend considerably more now that we're shopping healthier, but in the long run it's very much worth it!

Katie

I agree, it's more, but it's definitely worth it!
    I guess it's a good thing I shop at walmart for my food though =P
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It seems expensive, but if I think of it as 'buying good health' it feels like a bargain.

Medications and healthcare cost much more and don't give the same results.