Grocery shopping just got more expensive!

Options

Replies

• ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Mine is the same way...he say's that he'll pay for lipo suction...lol But I keep telling him that the 60-90$ a week we spent on delivery pizza does not happen anymore, so now it cost less in groceries...if you think that it use to cost me between 130 to 150$ a week plus pizza (let say 60$ is twice in a week) so realy it use to cost us 190 to 210$ a week and now it's only 160 to 170$...so I save. I just keep telling to shut up at least he's eating good food!

Good luck!

this!

we found the same thing... yes i am spending more on groceries, BUT no where near as much as we now save by no longer having take-out and eating out no more than once a week. *S* (considering how often we used to eat out or order in.. i am sure the places we ordered from have seen a decline in their revenues *L*)

the trade off worked for me *S*
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Stick to chicken, ground meats, and frozen fish for protein. Also, canned. Chicken or tuna. Obviously higher grade meats such as steak, pork and lamb are going to be pricier. For veggies, you can get a bag of frozen anything for under a dollar. I love broccoli, spinach, peas, corn on the cob is cheap right now since it's summer. For carbs, stick to rice - brown or white, I can't stay away from white, I hate the texture of brown rice but some will tell you don't ever eat white carbs because they're simple - and boxed pastas (Barilla plus makes yummy multigrain pastas). I've been spending no more than about $60 every couple weeks or so with a few items every now and then (such as eggs or juice). I try to get whichever Greek yogurt is cheaper - a big tub of Dannon lowfat vanilla yogurt or individual Fage 0% yogurts, I always buy eggs and a Fiber one or Kashi cereal, I switched to almond milk to cut out fat and carbs from cow's milk (even though I love it!)... I also like to buy a few "treats"... this last time it was whole grain Goldfish and whole wheat Ritz crackers 'cause I'm such a carb foodie! Also, I buy Clif Builder protein bars for after my workouts.

You can do it!!
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's more expensive. There are always great deals on chips and ice cream, but I have yet to see a BOGO on apples.

We stock up when healthy stuff is on sale and freeze it. Mostly ground turkey, chicken breasts, berries, and cut-up bell peppers for cooking, but other stuff too. And we pretty much limit ourselves to eating the fruit that's on sale or from the freezer. I figure it's better to spend $15 more per grocery bill for healthy food now than the thousands of dollars and discomfort for hospital stays and meds later on....

Also, we try to plan meals ahead so that our produce doesn't go to waste.

I need to work on planning ahead for meals too. I got so use to just buying those boxed meals that you cook up on a stove with water or whatnot & just pick whatever I wanted for the day. Those were cheap, but no healthy at all LOL
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    rice and beans! Seriously, a pretty inexpensive way to eat healthy. :-) Good luck!
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    Here are a couple of things that have helped us make it through leaner times...

1.) Check the meat sales, including the clearance section. Base your meat meals around whatever is inexpensive.
    2.) Most cooked veg, I buy frozen. In most cases, it's far less expensive than fresh.
    3.) Fresh produce - I only buy what's on sale (except for a couple of staples). Also - if you have a club store near you, it's a good place for some produce. ex. Romaine Hearts at any of my local stores are about $3-4 for 3 heads. At Sam's, they're just under $3 for 6 heads. If that's the only item I ever purchase there, I've made up for the cost of my membership.

Also - learn (if you don't know how) to improvise recipes, and make your own sauces, dressings and marinades. Cheaper and healthier.

Great idea about making our own dressing, etc. I think that'd help a lot. We like alfrado and I've yet to figure that out. But i've mastered mac n cheese!
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Always shop the loss leaders for fruit and veg (there's always at least one really good deal on both each week to 'get you in' the store.

Aldi has phenominal prices on in-season fruits and also milk

Farmer's Markets

coupons

store brands

I can't comment on meat, since I won't buy meat at the grocery store.
  • CurrieHeidt
    Options
    find recipes that use the same items. onions, bell peppers, etc. that way you can use them throughout the week.
    I buy tilapia when it is on sale... I get it wrapped individually so I can freeze it. I also get ground turkey and chicken while they are on sale and freeze them.
    So all i have to buy on a weekly basis is vegitables and fruit.
    All my recipes call for similar items for the whole week. That way I am not buying a whole stalk of celery but only using half of it before it goes bad.
    Be careful and do your research! Alot of "healthy, ready to eat" items are too processed and too expensive. You need to pay attention to the fats AND the calories.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I never understand when people say that. If you shop for basic ingredients and prepare your own foods it is way cheaper than buying anything prepared, healthy or unhealthy.

this is the whole deal... people for the most part don't know how to do this... so they end up spending more money...

I spend $35 dollars a week per person on groceries... we eat extremely healthy.

a box of brownies is 3 dollars a bag of lettuce and some low fat off brand dressing is just as expensive...
    a meal at a fast food restaurant is 6-8 dollars depending on the place I prepare tons of meals for lless than that
    a jar of spaghetti sauce and a box of noodles is about 4 dollars and that will feed a family of 4 a dollar a person
    Beans Rice and noodles are all dirt cheap
    frozen veggies are 2 dollars a bag and I will use one big bag for about 5 meals...
    meat is the most expensive and if you shop clearance meat its not too bad either.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    I've heard it said its more expensive but then again I heard another thing that makes sense, You are more satisfied by healthy foods. A bag of chips vs something high fiber and protien. So you dont feel like you have to eat a whole bag of chips and still feel like you want to munch on something

I haven't thought of that. So in the long run you're buying more junk to keep yourself satisfied, while buying healthy foods you dont have to eat as much to feel satisfied. Good thinking.
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It might seem like that at first but I really think the key is planning. You want to avoid wastage. Do your shopping weekly based on meals you've planned. Processed food is more expensive. Pasta sauce made from tinned tomatoes and fresh garlic is always going to be cheaper than a bought pasta sauce. Same with homemade soup. Once you get into the habit of cooking and eating healthier the shopping will get easier. Also don't always try and buy low calorie or diet foods - just use good produce in small amounts, eat seasonally, eat less meat, eat more pulses. You can work out the calories for anything with MFP. Use your freezer - I spend a lot on a buying a whole free range/organic chicken and joint it myself - I make a stock to make soups/broths/risottos. Invest in some good cookbooks - try Cook Yourself Thin. If time is short cook in batches and freeze stuff. It can be done. I am a self funded student and really get a kick out of eating well within a tight budget! I bore people to tears going on about it. Good luck!
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I dont agree that it's more expensive. I bag of potato chips is $3 or $4 here vs.10 lbs of potatoes for the same $ amount. You can do so much more with 10 lbs of potatoes. I have also found that since I am only eating 1 serving size of things instead of 2 or 3 servings that saves also. Also I used to drink soda pop alot, now it's water (that change alone pays my gym membership each month). I think it is a matter of changing your thinking. Not to mention decreased medical and prescription costs.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I buy my fruits and veggies at local farm stands and the Publix...I buy a 2-3 day supply at a time or find that we don't eat it all...
    I buy what is in season and what is on sale...
    also, if I find a great deal, I will freeze things. For example, the farm stand had yellow and red peppers for 50 cents each...so I bought six of each, ate four total over two days and then froze the other 8 for winter when they will be at a premium.
    All together, though, we are spending at least $40 a week on produce, and $20 a week on yogurt...which are main staples of our diets...
    we used to spend at least $30 a week on convenience eating (Pizza, Thai, subs) so I still feel like I am getting a better deal!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Mine is the same way...he say's that he'll pay for lipo suction...lol But I keep telling him that the 60-90$ a week we spent on delivery pizza does not happen anymore, so now it cost less in groceries...if you think that it use to cost me between 130 to 150$ a week plus pizza (let say 60$ is twice in a week) so realy it use to cost us 190 to 210$ a week and now it's only 160 to 170$...so I save. I just keep telling to shut up at least he's eating good food!

Good luck!

He doesn't really care about the cost at all. He actually hasn't even said anything about it.
    I'm just wondering how to make it cheaper =P I went from buying everything as cheap as possible (great value brand for the most part), to getting everything as healthy/low cal as possible. The less calories the more expensive lol!
    When I got shopping I leave my husband home now for sure, Ha!

i buy great value brand EVERYTHING! (excpet peanutbutter, pasta & chips because well... the great value brand is gross.) moderation! in season fruit! cans of tuna are like 60 cents a piece great value brand and tuna is a very versatile protein, cheese, tortillas, salsa, lettuce tomato & you got tacos. every thing can be great value brand. it usually has the same amount if cals as the name brand AND they do have low fat/ low cal great value brand things too!
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    I never understand when people say that. If you shop for basic ingredients and prepare your own foods it is way cheaper than buying anything prepared, healthy or unhealthy.

For people who are telling me that it's "BS" or they "never understand":

That's okay, because YOU know how to shop for healthy foods for cheap, but please tell ME how to do it instead of just disagreeing with me. I'm new at this, and I'm learning.
  • Dmax12
    Dmax12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    See whats on sale that is healthy and plan meals around sale Items rather than planing what you want to eat that week. Buy in bulk when able, this works well for whole grains, oils, and sugars. Learn what is in season, find out what fruits and vegetables ripen in your hemisphere, this lowers transit costs and therefore price.

Big chain stores don't always have the best price for organic and health foods, look at farmers markets, health food stores, or join a food co-op. The sales you can find at these locations often beat out or match big chain stores
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on meat, since I won't buy meat at the grocery store.

me either i get a higher quality a bigger quanity (that i break down in to servings to stick in the freeezer then take out how many servings i need that night) and sometimes even cheaper at k&j house of meats. boneless skinless chicken breast is usually around $1/lb. at wal-mart i'm usually looking at 1.90-2.20 /lb.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    It might seem like that at first but I really think the key is planning. You want to avoid wastage. Do your shopping weekly based on meals you've planned. Processed food is more expensive. Pasta sauce made from tinned tomatoes and fresh garlic is always going to be cheaper than a bought pasta sauce. Same with homemade soup. Once you get into the habit of cooking and eating healthier the shopping will get easier. Also don't always try and buy low calorie or diet foods - just use good produce in small amounts, eat seasonally, eat less meat, eat more pulses. You can work out the calories for anything with MFP. Use your freezer - I spend a lot on a buying a whole free range/organic chicken and joint it myself - I make a stock to make soups/broths/risottos. Invest in some good cookbooks - try Cook Yourself Thin. If time is short cook in batches and freeze stuff. It can be done. I am a self funded student and really get a kick out of eating well within a tight budget! I bore people to tears going on about it. Good luck!

Thank you!
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    I can honestly say that I've never thought of planning meals ahead of time. Usually what I always did was make of list of all the things in the kitchen that were almost empty or that I didn't have. And I'd go from there. So thank you all who gave me that amazing idea! It will help A LOT I think with shopping! And then I won't have anything go back either.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Oh - you may or may not find value in this, but I'll put it out here anyways... Some of her foods look amazing and they're mostly pretty healthy meals, and on a very low budget.

Poor Girl Eats Well Blog
    http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    See if Bountiful Baskets is in your area, www.bountifulbaskets.org it is $15 for a basket of 6 different types fruits and 6 types different veggies. I buy one every week, and then mostly just buy meat at Costco. I don't do much starch or any bread, but do buy it in bulk for my sons. Rice, quinoa, and potatoes are all cheap to buy in bulk. I also buy whole wheat bread for my sons from the bakery outlet-it is about $1 cheaper a loaf than the grocery store. Good luck on your journey.