Calling all C25K before and afters!

Options

Replies

• corbansmom
    corbansmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I will hopefully have some pics in about 2 weeks. I am on W8D3 tomorrow. I started running a week before C25k, and picked up on week 5 of the program. I have run 5 days a week, doubling up two of the runs each week. I love it! I highly recommend going to a running shoe store to get fitted for running shoes. I also make sure to stretch after a warmup walk before running and again afterwards. I try to eat a banana each day for the potassium that helps with leg cramps. I usually read Hebrew 12:1 before I run and pray for a great, safe run without pain. If pain comes, I pray the Lord takes it away, for HE is greater than any pain I may have, and He gets me through it. He hasn't let me down yet! Good "luck" with your journey!
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I will hopefully have some pics in about 2 weeks. I am on W8D3 tomorrow. I started running a week before C25k, and picked up on week 5 of the program. I have run 5 days a week, doubling up two of the runs each week. I love it! I highly recommend going to a running shoe store to get fitted for running shoes. I also make sure to stretch after a warmup walk before running and again afterwards. I try to eat a banana each day for the potassium that helps with leg cramps. I usually read Hebrew 12:1 before I run and pray for a great, safe run without pain. If pain comes, I pray the Lord takes it away, for HE is greater than any pain I may have, and He gets me through it. He hasn't let me down yet! Good "luck" with your journey!

i cant wait to see or progresss!!!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I can't begin to describe how happy I am that I learned about C25K from the MFP community. Even at a normal weight in my teens and twenties I could not run one lap around a track. I figured I couldn't even think about running until I'd lost a bunch of weight, but the success of other people on MFP convinced me to give it a try. I started the program on 4-10-11 and could barely make one minute of running. I'm not drastically overweight, but had about 70 pounds to lose at that point.

I had a hard time when I needed to run more than 3 minutes and found out I had a touch of exercise-induced asthma and got an inhaler. That did the trick to get me over that hump. I haven't been able to be consistent with the runs due to work demands, but I did my first 20 minute run about one week ago.

Yesterday, after missing about 5 days, I decided to see if I could just run the whole 5K. I mapped the route through my neighborhood to figure out a route that hit that distance, and took a route with a bit of an incline at the start. Although I couldn't make it the whole way, I was THRILLED that I ran 2 1/2 miles!!!! It did take me 40 minutes, but that's okay.

Once I get the distance down I can start working on speed. I still cannot believe that it was ME running for TWO AND A HALF MILES!!!! Once I make the 5K distance I'm going to take new pics, but I have lost weight and inches since starting and am definitely looking more shapely now. By the way, I went with the iPhone app and carry my phone. I did invest in some quality running shoes and a really good running bra - both very much worth the money.

I always, always, always wanted to be able to run (I even used to have dreams about running long distances) and now I am! Talk about a confidence booster. In short, if you're thinking about C25K, definitely go for it. Don't worry if you have to repeat certain runs several times. Just keep at it. As people told me, "If I can do it, you can do it!" You will feel so much pride, burn calories, and be so glad you did it! I'll be starting the bridge to 5K later this month and I'm really looking forward to that!

Best of luck to all of you! Anita
  • wildside79
    wildside79 Posts: 46
    Options
    Amazing program - I'm a graduate and my wife and daughter are on week 4.

two years ago I tried running to get back in shape without a program and just ended up with shin splints that lasted over a month and basically took me out of the game. This program got me more confident, lost more weight (its much harder of a work out then an elliptical), and now just 2 weeks after the program I run my first real 5k on saturday. I used gmaps-pedometer to map out about 3.15 mile track around my house and my best run is 26'40".

After the 5k I'm going to be moving to the bridge into 10k program.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I have a treadmill with a 5K training program on it. I was half way through my training and I injured myself (abductor pull) but I loved it and was at a 13 minute mile.

Can't wait until I completely heal to get started again.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 3 Day 2 tomorrow. So far so good.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    c25k is awesome!!!
    i have a similar testimonial to everyone else. i started running (without c25k- running between lamp posts, then to street corners and slowly increasing my distance, but i got a bit lost because i had nothing structured to help me push myself). i started at about week 2 (i could already run a little), but it was just superb for helping me get on with it. i liked that i had a set time to run for- it made it easier to just keep on going! i cried when i ran for 20 mins for the 1st time- the only time (at that point) i had ever ran that far!
    the whole program made me feel really proud of myself. i was doable- challenging also. but great. and i completed it quite fast- i went out about 5-6 times a week. but i still run quite slowly, but i'm getting faster. i was running about a 14 min mile before (walkers could pass me!!), and now i'm at a 12 min mile.
    now i'm training for a half marathon in october!!! running is now my 'thing'. it's nice to have a 'thing'. i've never had a 'thing' before.
  • Bearface115
    Options
    c25k is awesome!!!
    i have a similar testimonial to everyone else. i started running (without c25k- running between lamp posts, then to street corners and slowly increasing my distance, but i got a bit lost because i had nothing structured to help me push myself). i started at about week 2 (i could already run a little), but it was just superb for helping me get on with it. i liked that i had a set time to run for- it made it easier to just keep on going! i cried when i ran for 20 mins for the 1st time- the only time (at that point) i had ever ran that far!
    the whole program made me feel really proud of myself. i was doable- challenging also. but great. and i completed it quite fast- i went out about 5-6 times a week. but i still run quite slowly, but i'm getting faster. i was running about a 14 min mile before (walkers could pass me!!), and now i'm at a 12 min mile.
    now i'm training for a half marathon in october!!! running is now my 'thing'. it's nice to have a 'thing'. i've never had a 'thing' before.

Running i s becoming a THING of mine too! how cool!!
  • ElisaRazz
    ElisaRazz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i really want to try it, is it best to do it on the treadmill or out in the open?
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I was running before c25k for a half hour. Then I took two months off, Big mistake! I started from scratch and it was harder this time around. Its not easy running, and having to go from point A all over again was somewhat mentally challenging. I felt I had already done this! I stumbled on C25k ( around the same time I stumbled on MFP coincidence? I think not.) It made all the difference and, has helped with my mental block and stamina. Taking it outside soon but am already pleased with the results :)
  • Bearface115
    Options
    Doing it out side is better bc you get the scene out the outdoors, enjoying the summer, and getting color on your skin. in the WINTER or BAD weather, tredmill is good too, but i LOVE the outside!
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    4 weeks ago I started it; got up to week 3 day 3 & then realized I really was barely making it and was shaving the edges. So I reset it this week to W1D1 so I can run faster (really run, not just fast walk) and do it by the book.

I find it useful to keep me on task.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i found this programme really helpful. i started off not being able to run at all, and the format helped to ease me in gently. I run outside not in the gym.

i followed it to the letter until week 6 after which i could run 20mins without getting out of breath. i took a break for 2 weeks due to doing other bits like shred and zumba and lack of time. Yesterday i started week 7 ran for 30 mins straight instead of 25! so in 7 weeks ive gone from dreading week 3 with the 3 min run to now running 30 mins! and im addicted! i love the high you get from having a good run! and running outside is so much fun! i use a podcast as well which has music and the runs and walks pre-set. its this one if you are interested http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/week-1-c25k/. I want to try the one hour runner programme after i finish this!

my advice: GO FOR IT!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3mph on the treadmill and jog at 4mph. is that ok to start?

Yes. You jog at a rate that is comfortable to you, and when you feel ready, you can increase the speed. I was going at 3mph/4.5mph, and got through week 3 fine, but once I got to week 4, that 4.5mph killed me, so I eased it down to 4mph, slow jog and was able to get through the entire workout without feeling dead. :)

Good luck, you'll do great!
  • Bearface115
    Options
    I just downloaded the app on my ipod. we have been using my fiancees app on his droid and his is better, but at least mine ant keep the time too! Running tomorrow! and i cant waitttttttt!
  • v_addison
    v_addison Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I actually call myself a Jogging Junkie now that I've found the C25K. I used to make fun of runners, wondering why they would do that to themselves without a good reason----like a wolf is chasing them :)
    But I have fallen madly in love with the program and running. I'm currently on w6w2. All those trainers on TV you've heard saying "focus on your breathing"? It really works! I think about my breathing and focus on a spot on the horizon and my body just knows how to do the rest :) You can't help but grin from ear to ear when your done!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I started C25K a few months ago but due to life's circumstances, had to take a break from it. But when I was using the program, I would do each week twice so that I felt more confident starting a new week. I was so proud of myself for even being able to run 5 minutes straight because I was also the walker during the mile-run in high school. I am shocked to hear myself say that I miss running and I am looking forward to getting back to the program. Things should start settling after next week and I plan to start the program again the following week. I will do my best to take before pics and measurements so that I can post my progress along the way.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I started c25k on March 1. I'm about to finish c210k. Here's a progress report if you'd like to read it (it WILL make you feel like you can do this!!): http://c25k.cze.dk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1042

I was 45 and 197 lbs when I started. As you can see from my signature, I'm planning on running the Disney Princess Half Marathon in Feb. If I can do it... anyone can!

The most important things I learned were:

1. It doesn't matter if you run slower than you walk, just run. (It takes me an hour to run 3.5-4 miles.. but I'm still running 4 MILES!!!) I've even been lapped on the track by an OLD man... WALKING! :laugh:

2. Run at a pace where you can hold a conversation (see #1).

3. If you need to repeat weeks, do it.

4. Half of the difficulty is getting it through your brain that you CAN do it. It's half mental, half physical. Don't let your mind tell your body what it can't do.
  • alisha17m
    alisha17m Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I tried c25k about 18 months ago and never got past the second week of the program. I picked it back up again at W1W1 today with an iPhone app (so I can listen to my own music) and managed to complete every running interval! (though I wouldn't call what I did 'running' as such, more of a slow jog) but none the less, last time I tried it it took me about 6 attempts to get that far!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!