When do you eat breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My wife & I usually eat within an hour or so of getting up.

I would recommend eating a little protein as early as possible. I've heard (I think it was from former aerobics instructor and past Miss Canada Cynthia Kereluk) that because protein is harder to digest, the earlier you have protein, the sooner your metabolism kicks into high gear. I suspect this might be why when you have breakfast earlier, you feel hungry all day... your metabolism is working harder for longer, so it's craving more fuel.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I usually eat breakfast after I workout, so 1-2 hours after I get up. Sometimes I eat before I workout, so that's within 30 minutes.

I eat a protein heavy breakfast since I don't eat lunch until 5 or so hours later, and I don't like to "snack" between breakfast and lunch. I stay satisfied with my breakfast and don't feel "hungry all day". But, I've always been a breakfast eater.
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    I get up at 6:30. After I get ready and walk my dog, I have some yogurt (typically around 7:45). I then drive to work, get settled in, and make some oatmeal (typically around 9).
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If I waited until I felt hunger I wouldn't eat until 8pm some days. oddly enough I used to be one of those people unable to eat breakfast. Food honestly made me nauseous that early in the morning. Also if you are a coffee drinker, a cup of coffee can fill you up. I eat breakfast within 1 hour of waking. What I do is break it up. When I get up I take my vitamins and drink a glass of water. I then depending on how I'm feeling may nibble on some almonds or a piece of fruit and mid morning have breakfast. I always try to have protein in my breakfast and usually an egg. To lazy to google but there are tons of studies that show eating breakfast and getting protein in your breakfast helps keep you from over eating.

My naturapath is the one who encouraged me to make sure to get breakfast in and I must say it has been a big help in eating well. If I'm eating properly and getting enough fruit and veg, I NEVER feel hungry and rarely get the munchies.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat within an hour of waking up, and get hungry every 2 or 3 hours throughout the day. But I'm natually a grazer/snacker, not a big meal person.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!! This really helps.

I like the idea of splitting morning eating into two parts, honestly never thought of that. I think I get hungry all day because of a lack of protien in the morning (I'm a big evening protien eater because I work out in the evening), and the empty carbs (hi, I'm Fittobefab, and I'm a carb-aholic).

Thanks for the advice!!