I have decided to NOT eat back exercise calories..

Options
124»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I am thoroughly confused by the eating back calories theory.

Think of it this way....

If you said, "I'm going to exercise and burn 500 calories a day, every day," some calorie counting sites or plans might take your weight, activity level into consideration and say, "Ok, you can eat 1800 calories a day, then, and you will lose weight one pound a week."

To be very blunt, MPF doesn't trust you. :wink: MPF knows how easy it is to hit the snooze button, or decide to stay home rather than going to the gym after work. Until you do that exercise, they're going to assume you're NOT going to do it, so they'll give you 1300 calories a day instead. And you'll still lose that one pound a week.

Once you make good on your promise, and burn those 500 calories, THEN you can eat 1800.

It's still the same principal. It's just a matter of WHEN the calories are added in.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I am thoroughly confused by the eating back calories theory. Granted I am grateful to have extra calories when I have burned alot because dammit I'm hungry. However on days like today when I worked my butt off just by cleaning and gardening there is no way I am going to stuff an extra 900 calories into myself. I guess I am with the do what works for you group. I am only a month in with taking control of weight, so I guess time will tell what works best for me.

this thread will explain it nicely:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I only eat when hungry.

I agree with you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am thoroughly confused by the eating back calories theory. Granted I am grateful to have extra calories when I have burned alot because dammit I'm hungry. However on days like today when I worked my butt off just by cleaning and gardening there is no way I am going to stuff an extra 900 calories into myself. I guess I am with the do what works for you group. I am only a month in with taking control of weight, so I guess time will tell what works best for me.

Think of it like this: You have a car. Cars need fuel to run correct? Think of working out as you are driving across the country. During the period, your body needs to fill several times because you burn a lot of gas.

Now think of a car you only have to drive back and forth to work, which is only 5 miles (yep, thats my wife... life is tough). This means, your car doesnt need gas very much. In fact, you can probably go a few weeks without filling up.

When you workout, it's like driving across country. Your body burns fuel faster and the larger deficit is like driving on E. Now, you wouldnt drive the rest of the way on E woud you? No, you would run out of gas or bonk. This is what happens when you create huge deficits. MPF creates a deficit in your calorie number. If you create a larger one, you can affect the performance of your motor. Also huge deficits will force your body to draw the protein from your muscles which make your body reduce muscle mass, which then reducing your basal (or resting) metabolic rate, meaning in the long run, you lose less, you lose it slower and you lose muscle before fat.
  • twistedsista0408
    Options
    i"m right there with ya, it's silly to eat extra calories if you aren't hungry. I am not going to eat the extra calories for a few weeks and see what the results are. I love this website!